Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @arvidtp

Thanks for this, I'll check out that component and also found Clipwrap for batch. Even if I don't bother with this, I should still benefit from the improved picture quality from the patch shouldn't I?

• If you import into FCP 7, it transcodes to pro-res on import i think and there is no way to tell. You need to import in a different way - clipwrap, quicktime player (QT X will do it in 10.7 or later, just not in a batch), panasonic AVCam quicktime component, or anything else that will open and re-wrap the .MTS files to quicktime movies. These are the same video data recorded by the camera, just now in a quicktime wrapper instead of an AVCHD wrapper - so you can look at the datarates, and analyze what's happening. This will also save you disk space in the long run, because when done with a project you have the option of tossing your ProRes transcodes and just keeping the much smaller h.264 source files.

P.S. But I don't suggest using ffmpeg or ffmbc based software to re-wrap clips if you think you'll ever want to use the footage in FCP X in the future - ffmpeg and ffmbc generate h.264 movies that FCP X will not play for whatever reason - and will need to be transcoded, defeating one of the awesome things about FCP X which is that you can get away with almost never transcoding.

• @Ralph_B I've just managed to get it working. Thanks and apologies.

On another note, how can I confirm the recorded data rate? I transfer into FCP 7 at the max rate of pro Res 422 HQ ~23MB/s. Is it just done by eye in quality difference?

• Christ I'm an idiot. Top man ill try it today!

• @GSMYTH555

You're making things unnecessarily complicated. Put the Sanity 5.1 ini file into the same folder as ptools. Open ptool and load in Panasonic firmware 1.1. Once inside ptools, load Sanity. Save the altered firmware. Call it GH2__V11.bin . Copy that file onto your SD card, and then load it into the GH2. Done.

• @Ralph_B

Thanks for your reply. I have just retried it now, to no avail. My process: Reset firmware back to Pana 1.0, then update firmware to 1.1. (Checked at this point to see HBR and it was there). Load Sanity 5.1 onto newly formatted SD card. Update to that. (Screen asks to update to 1.0). No HBR available again and still got 720p cancellation issues. I was able to record Cinema 24p onto a Sandisk Class 4 card though. So it doesn't make sense! Maybe I had an issue in ptool, but I spotted none as such, it all went smoothly. Should I load 4.1 on first? Or 5?

Thanks for any help. George

• @gottue

The GH2's DR sucks. Even with lights on the subjects' faces, luminosity is barely there. i have suffered from such issues as well, and I wonder if it's due to the nature of the hack settings.

• @GSMYTH555

By any chance did you use firmware 1.0? That would explain no HBR. Sanity 5 is designed for firmware 1.1.

• @Ralph_B I think I've got a workaround for my issue. I must record a clip in Cinema 24p first, then set to 720p setting. Odd. Still got no HBR mode though.

• @GSMYTH555

720P has been bullet proof - up until now :) The only thing I can suggest is to try a different card.

• Also, I don't get HBR mode. I'm on a PAL version. I get Manual, Cinema and Variable. I don't get it!

• I've just installed the Sanity 5.1 thank you for that. But I get the 'recording cancelled due to card' message when recording 720p at Sh or H. I'm using a Transcend Class 10 32GB. Cinema 24p 1080 works great. I've reformatted the card and still no luck. Any advice?

• @Ralph_B I've been using Sanity for a long time Ralph. I enjoy testing Nick's settings and for the real cinema look, they may be the best...but for a pure working camera that has great color, stability, flexibility and blends well with other cameras, I keep loading Sanity 5.1. Gotta say thanks for making my life a little easier.

• Here's a quick video I put together for the 38th Black April Commemoration of the Fall of Saigon.

• I love the Sanity.

• Here's the outcome from my first time experimenting with time lapse using variable movie mode. There were no problems spanning on 24H with Sandisk 95mb/s card. I still have a lot to learn.

• @Speldosa

No, the designations were always the same. The only thing that changed with firmware 1.1 was the addition of HBR mode.

• @Ralph_B Thanks, that clear things up quite a lot! Maybe you should put this info on the first page.

By the way, Isn't it the case that SH with the original firmware means 50i/60i? This is all so confusing :)

• @zsero experience with Sandisk 45MB/s (with any patch) shows us that it is quite problematic card for spanning, in general. Check Faqs

• @gottue

Stability is solid in variable movie mode, but I never tested spanning. You'll have to experiment.

• Does the same notion apply regarding spanning on 24H for variable movie mode at 300%? I'm trying time lapse for the first time tomorrow using this method.

I'm still waiting to get an intervalometer? Any specific ones you guys recommend?

• @Speldosa

I sympathize. Panasonic's designations are a bit cryptic. Yes, SH and H are both 720 60P. SH is higher bitrate and H is lower bitrate. 1080 60i is FSH (higher bitrate) and FH (lower bitrate). 24P is 24H (higher) and 24L (lower). HBR (30P) has only one bitrate, which is the same as FSH.

I designed Sanity so that the lower bitrates are very good quality. They are all absolutely useable, if you need them.

• I'm a bit confused by the different modes here. What's the framerate and resolution for the different modes? As far as I can tell, both Manual Movie Mode set to SH and H produces 60p when set to NTSC. Is this correct?

• Thanks!

• Spanning at 24H is dicey - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If spanning is important to you, use 24L. Fortunately, there is very little difference in picture quality. 24L looks great. I shot an entire paid concert gig with it, and the client was delighted.