Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, and thank you for the excellent patch.I like to shoot mostly 720p,therefore, the next question (I am really a beginner). You are talking about B-frames, which / what it is, and how I turned on ? Thanks for you answers.

• @opa

B-frames are turned on as part of the patch. They help the codec operate more efficiently. It's nothing that you need to adjust.

• Sanity 4.1 24H records OK, but won't play in-camera for me (freezes at start of playback). Tried both SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB (95MB/s) & SanDisk Extreme 8GB (30MB/s) cards. Issue occurs with both 45-yr. old Nikkor prime lens & Lumix 20mm pancake lens. Tried both Smooth & Standard at -2,-2,-1,0 and -2,-2,-1,-2. NTSC.

For these tests I was shooting high-detail, no-motion handheld scenes (shrubbery, leaves, gravel, etc.) Beauty shots. ;-)

For my work I need reliable in-camera playback. Any suggestions? Cheers.

• @peterdv_dot_com Try turning the camera off and then on again, and see if it plays. This problem is not unique to Sanity, but affects many of the patches.

• Thanks, Ralph. I tried that (& as you say, this isn't unique to many patches, er, settings). Unfortunately, doesn't help in this case.

I just shot another quick test shooting CUs of "fabric of death" and not surprisingly that fails to playback in-camera if shot at 24H, but 24L plays in-camera fine.

Reason I'm testing this is that I have a shoot coming up where many scenes will be outdoors along trails through woods, so lots of fairly static, high-detail shrubbery of death.

I'll do some more little tests with 24L and see how that goes. Thanks for your & Vitaliy's efforts!

• I'm using a Toshiba Class 10 16GB and it won't let me record due to memory speed.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Specifically says, "Motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the writing speed of the card."

This has never happened to be before while using this card. I've tested Cake 1.2 and Cake 2.0 with it and I did not get this result.

• @Reshaydee

Things to try: 1) Reformat the card 2) Try a different card (preferably by a different manufacturer) 3) Use a lower recording setting - ex: 24L instead of 24H.

• I have a shoot coming up that'll run about two hours, which I'd like to shoot 1920x1080 at 24fps (NTSC). I'm looking for a patch that'll handle that on a 32gig class 10 card. I don't need severely high bit rates, either: 42-44 mbps would be just fine for me. Would Sanity be the right patch for me? I've been using Cake, but I don't really need that patch's high bit rates.

• @Brian_Siano

Sanity 4.1 will work fine at 24L. The bitrate is 29.3M, and it looks amazingly good. I shot a paid gig with it, and the client loved it.

• Ralph_B: Thanks. Will install it and try it tonight.

• Ralph_B, wait a sec. The patch description says that spanning works with 24L, but what about 24H? That's what I'm shooting.

• @Brian_Siano The patch description is accurate. I recommend you try 24L and see what it looks likes. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• @Ralph_B Help me out Ralph. Yesterday in addition to Sanity V4.1 I just had to use Nick's latest, Mysteron. It's nice even in 720-60. The Bitrate is lower than 4.1 (in 760P) and I guess I'm getting old because I can't tell the difference between the two.

Mysteron is unbelievably clean in low light, but I haven't tested 4.01 against it. What would be the best low light test?

• Peter, these patches have gotten so good that honestly, there isn't a difference, or if there is, it's so small as to be insignificant. We're basically seeing what the camera is actually putting out. How do I know this? Because I compare the hacked picture to an uncompressed HDMI capture of the same scene.

Best low light test? I'm a believer in real world scenes. Just shoot things under the conditions that you would actually do in a production. Exterior city street, dim hallway, person sitting in a dark room illuminated by as TV, whatever. And do several different scenes.

• Thanks Ralph! Actually, there is still one difference. Stability and that's number on my priority list. It doesn't matter how good the IQ is if the card crashes when you pull the trigger.

• Thanks, but if I can't get full hi-def, and spanning, I can't use it. The final product may be lower resolution, but I plan on doing a lot of reframing in post, and I'd need full hi-def original footage to accomplish that.

• 24L is still 1920x1080. You'll still be able to reframe just as much as with 24H.

The bit rate is still much higher than stock and quite detailed. Why dont you try some test footage and see for yourself before discounting it completely? You may be very surprised.

• I'll give Sanity a try. I used Cake 2.0 last night, and got a full hour on my 32gig card, with no glitches, crashes, or problems. So tomorrow, I'll load in Sanity, and run that for as long as I can. (It'd be wonderful if I could get a full two hours at full hi-def.)

• Hokay, I gave Sanity a test run. I ran it in 24L mode, and let the thing run for two solid hours shooting tulips in my garden. I also ran my old TM700 camcorder next to it for comparison. It worked great.

I still need to compare it to the Cake 2.0 I used last night. It appears that Cake's higher bit rates make for a much clearer picture, but I'm not certain: I shot the garden through a glass door, so there's probably some fuzziness from that. But, the image seems much closer to that of my camcorder. For now, Sanity's definitely useful.

• @Brian_Siano Flo Motion has higher bitrates too but Sanity seems a little sharper to me. I spent a lot of time yesterday comparing Sanity to some of the very high bitrate settings.

In 720, I can't see any difference, even in slow motion.

In 24 P, some of the higher bitrate settings are sharper, some are not, but none are as stable and reliable.

• @peternap

I feel the same. There's no over-promise in Ralph's description... Sanity in fact provides very, very high IQ (at moderate bitrates due to the long GOP). This is the beauty of Sanity.

Based on the patches I have tested only driftwood's Intra patches and bkmcwd's 3GOP settings provide similar "clear" and "sharp" video as Sanity (not only in 24H but also in HBR mode... although the Intra patches only look good in HBR mode when the codec is not stressed much). "PAL64" plays in the same league (but only in PAL mode).

Short GOP might be preferable with motion, though. Also preferable regarding an even noise pattern.

• I sincerely doubt that short gop has any advantage in motion compared to Sanity. That's why I uploaded those clips with 1/2000 sec shutter in the first post. Freeze frame any of them in the middle of the fast pan, and you will see everything is rendered perfectly. Each frame looks like it was shot with gop 1. And the fact that it wasn't, is just so frickin' cool!

• @Ralph_B I'm glad you mentioned those clips Ralph (and they were extraordinary).

1. Did you do any post on them?
    2. What were you're settings? I seem to remember you used -2-2+2-2-2, but I don;t remember the profile.
  • I just wanted to chime in quick and mention I've been shooting with this patch the last few days with Class 6 Delkin cards and have had no write speed errors or anything. So for those of us with lots of Class 6s on the shelf, it's super stable even shooting tricky shrubbery and high con edges and all that. Footage looks very nice. Nice work, and thank you. (haven't shot any 720p yet, no reason to think it wouldn't be fine too)

• @jeffharriger I think it's dependent on the quality of the class 6 card. Delkin has an excellent reputation, so it's great that it's working for you.