Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a quick video I put together for the 38th Black April Commemoration of the Fall of Saigon.

• @Ralph_B I've been using Sanity for a long time Ralph. I enjoy testing Nick's settings and for the real cinema look, they may be the best...but for a pure working camera that has great color, stability, flexibility and blends well with other cameras, I keep loading Sanity 5.1. Gotta say thanks for making my life a little easier.

• I've just installed the Sanity 5.1 thank you for that. But I get the 'recording cancelled due to card' message when recording 720p at Sh or H. I'm using a Transcend Class 10 32GB. Cinema 24p 1080 works great. I've reformatted the card and still no luck. Any advice?

• Also, I don't get HBR mode. I'm on a PAL version. I get Manual, Cinema and Variable. I don't get it!

• @GSMYTH555

720P has been bullet proof - up until now :) The only thing I can suggest is to try a different card.

• @Ralph_B I think I've got a workaround for my issue. I must record a clip in Cinema 24p first, then set to 720p setting. Odd. Still got no HBR mode though.

• @GSMYTH555

By any chance did you use firmware 1.0? That would explain no HBR. Sanity 5 is designed for firmware 1.1.

• @gottue

The GH2's DR sucks. Even with lights on the subjects' faces, luminosity is barely there. i have suffered from such issues as well, and I wonder if it's due to the nature of the hack settings.

• @Ralph_B

Thanks for your reply. I have just retried it now, to no avail. My process: Reset firmware back to Pana 1.0, then update firmware to 1.1. (Checked at this point to see HBR and it was there). Load Sanity 5.1 onto newly formatted SD card. Update to that. (Screen asks to update to 1.0). No HBR available again and still got 720p cancellation issues. I was able to record Cinema 24p onto a Sandisk Class 4 card though. So it doesn't make sense! Maybe I had an issue in ptool, but I spotted none as such, it all went smoothly. Should I load 4.1 on first? Or 5?

Thanks for any help. George

• @GSMYTH555

You're making things unnecessarily complicated. Put the Sanity 5.1 ini file into the same folder as ptools. Open ptool and load in Panasonic firmware 1.1. Once inside ptools, load Sanity. Save the altered firmware. Call it GH2__V11.bin . Copy that file onto your SD card, and then load it into the GH2. Done.

• Christ I'm an idiot. Top man ill try it today!

• @Ralph_B I've just managed to get it working. Thanks and apologies.

On another note, how can I confirm the recorded data rate? I transfer into FCP 7 at the max rate of pro Res 422 HQ ~23MB/s. Is it just done by eye in quality difference?

• If you import into FCP 7, it transcodes to pro-res on import i think and there is no way to tell. You need to import in a different way - clipwrap, quicktime player (QT X will do it in 10.7 or later, just not in a batch), panasonic AVCam quicktime component, or anything else that will open and re-wrap the .MTS files to quicktime movies. These are the same video data recorded by the camera, just now in a quicktime wrapper instead of an AVCHD wrapper - so you can look at the datarates, and analyze what's happening. This will also save you disk space in the long run, because when done with a project you have the option of tossing your ProRes transcodes and just keeping the much smaller h.264 source files.

P.S. But I don't suggest using ffmpeg or ffmbc based software to re-wrap clips if you think you'll ever want to use the footage in FCP X in the future - ffmpeg and ffmbc generate h.264 movies that FCP X will not play for whatever reason - and will need to be transcoded, defeating one of the awesome things about FCP X which is that you can get away with almost never transcoding.

• @arvidtp

Thanks for this, I'll check out that component and also found Clipwrap for batch. Even if I don't bother with this, I should still benefit from the improved picture quality from the patch shouldn't I?

• My son and friends shot this recreation of the opening scene of Memento using my GH2 with Sanity 5.1 for a contest. Heavily graded in post in some places to recreate the look.

• @ralph_b

Haven't taken my cameras off Sanity for months now. Love it. Sad to say though that spanning has failed at the 8GB mark of a Sandisk Extreme 30MB/S, with a 58mm Minolta on 24L. Happened three times now. Any suggestions for a fix?

• @jweeke

You could try shooting with a lower ISO and/or try a different card.

• I get some motion blur when shooting a soccer game of my son in "SH" mode.

• @golson

That has nothing to do with the hack. Use a higher shutter speed to freeze the action. Try 1/500 second or even 1/1000 sec.

• I still love Sanity 5.

• more tests with Sanity 5.1 and the Lumix 25mm 1.4.

• Congrats from a pixel peeper!! nice hack settings. I've been using a modded Apocalypse soft444 for almost a year doing special effects and cg stuff on the footage and had 24p running stellar but in 60p could never get the bitrate high enough or macro-blocking low enough to use for cg work and sometimes 24p just has to much wobble and not enough frames for quick stuff. Have to admit with the longer 18 GOP I was a bit sceptical that the frames between I frames would be usable. Detail is amazing! bumped the bitrates up about 10-15 mbs and this has better detail in low exposure and less macroblocking than any other hack I've tried. 60p is now equal or better detail than 24p -- hard to tell but stunning. A little macroblocking in extremely low exposures and slight banding on solid colors when bitrate is low but that true for any 8bit video and all hack's I've tried.

• @einstein7

Glad you're enjoying Sanity. When I set out to create my own patch, I had no pre-conceived notion as to what would be the best GOP length. I experimented with all of them and discovered that GOP 18 hit a magical sweet spot. Of course there's more to Sanity than just GOP, but it is important.

As for higher bitrates, well I experimented with those, too. The ones I settled on were able to pass my extreme stability tests. Higher bitrates failed those tests. Now those tests were extreme, and in normal shooting you may be able to get away using higher bitrates most of the time. But be advised, you may hit an occasional write error and lose the clip. You'll have to remove the battery to reset the camera.

• Thanks for the write error warning, I've been using a UHS1 transcend card and run hacks up to 130mbs with high iso and never had a crash. Would be awesome is you could integrate CBrandon's soft 444 matrix , love the way that matrix renders color saturation - much more realistic - as well as the overall look due to the way it swaps the channel resolutions.
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3945/driftwood-settings-series-6-comp-apocalypse-now-cluster-v6-galaxian-gx1-sedna-canis-etc...

• So I loaded sanity up for the very first time ever. I was recording to a 64gb extreme w/o problems, loaded in a 16gb class 6 transcend for shits and giggles, and.. well.. It still worked? I have yet to get any recording errors. Is this normal, or did I screw up the hack?