Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Hi All,

i have a question (which is perhaps a newbie one!) related to the consequence of using such settings like Sanity ones (with high quality and relatively low bit rates) in comparison with for example Apocalypse now ones or Mysteron (high quality and much higher bit rates), and this question relates to the consequences on the fluidity for editing the MTS from my hacked GH2 in an NLE like Premiere pro CS 5.5 or CS6 (WINDOWS7 OS) with a laptop with LIMITED PROCESSING POWER (that's currently a given for me, I'll try to optimize my next computer to improve that but please don't tell me just to buy a video pro desktop as this is not the intent of the question!).

I just tried Sanity 5.1 and have been very impressed by the quality of the videos (24H or 24L), especially when i looked at the bit rates and the final size of the videos which are small in comparison of what i was using (namely one of the Apocalypse Now settings from Nick Driftwood, settings that gave me a lot of satisfactions so far i must say). Basically, in a test shot not too "stressing", I ended up with bitrates/final video sizes that are around 2X less than the same ones with Apocalyse Now, with almost no visual differences as much as i can see for my taste (maybe some differences in high isos but i have to retest that). So of course I'm tempted to use this Sanity settings to reduce the storage needed (SD card and hard disk)... but I'm wondering about the consequences in processing power and fluidity in CS 5.5 or CS6 (WIN 7)?

I know that MTS are natively decoded by these versions of Premiere but that this require some relatively high processing power from the computer (I have enabled the GPU CUDA option -Mercury Engine- with my GT240M Nvidia card for info, but not sure it helps for decoding). So I am wondering if settings like Sanity 5.1 is actually a better option from this NLE decoding fluidity standpoint (on a limited computer) than for example Apocalyse Now settings? In clear wording: is higher bitrate like Apocalypse Now or Mysteron (with maybe lower and less complex compression?) easier to decode by Premiere, or are smaller files with lower bitrates like Sanity (but maybe higher and more complex compression) rendered with more fluidity when editing in Premiere?

I guess my question is primarily (but not only!) for Ralph B and Nick Driftwood as they know better of course what tweaking they do in their encoding philosophy...

A related question would be: in windows 7, what could be an alternative to help my computer in Premiere to be more "fluid" in editing Sanity or higher bitrates settings if not using the MTS files but converting them: converting them to what precise format and with which software (in WINDOWS 7 again...), for minimal loss of quality?

This last question is maybe a bit out of this topic but choosing one setting (like this great SANITY 5.1 setting) or another is always a compromise between quality, bitrates, computing power for editing in NLE, storage requirements, and so on!

Thanks for your replies!

• My first attempt at filming using my newly acquired GH2 using the sanity 5.1 hack, C&Cs most welcome...

• @gottue nicely done. Looks like a fun group of people = )

• @Moviemaker

Since the camera's firmware is the lastest (1.1), there should be no need to reflash it.

• I need to update the firmware on my PZ 14-42. Do I need to reflash the camera to the Panasonic 1.1 from Sanity? http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

• Another video we shot with Sanity 5. I have not yet try the 5.1 patch. Credit again to @Ralph_B for your continued efforts in making a stable and wonderful patch.

I've always wondered why my uploads are of lesser quality compared to others with the same patch. Would you kindly share your settings upon export from CS6 to Vimeo or any other tips that might help? I actually think my main problem right now is finding the right setting to shoot (fixed aperture, iso, or shutter speed). In the case of this video there were a lot of changes in light due to the backyard setting. What settings would you have used?

• @itsmc2011

Nice work - I loved the '3-shot' in the woods!

Recently I substituted for the DP on a feature, and used my GH2 with Sanity. The director and producers keep raving about the quality.

• Hi guys ! I love Sanity Pach! Here is a music video i shot with Sanity 5.1

• One more with Sanity 5 shoot wit a x 2 anamorphic projection lens.

• Unscientific test with some lenses last night using Sanity V.

The original footage havent so noise.

• HBR : 30p :45m/s Lense : 14-140mm SS : 1/50 ISO 400 Mode : smooth Color Grad : EDIUS6 Filter : HD Multi-Coated Variable ND Fader Filter

• @kelto52 My camera works in 720p to 50, where can I change it to work at 60?

• @tomson8877

Nice Balinese knives :)

• My last test with Sanity Hack

• The 720P bitrate is 44M, but it can fluctuate quite a bit depending on the complexity of the scene. That's the beauty of Sanity - it only uses the bits it needs - no extra fat!

• What is the bitrate at 720p at 60fps?

• @Axier thx, it was smooth -2,-2,+2,-2

• Hi. This is the video of Sanity5 on GH2 with monokle lense.

• Hello Ralph_B you are so so so great man Thank you Thank you Thank you! I love Sanity5.1 so much

I shoot new footage Right here ! This movie was shoot by 30p 43m/s, I like its!!

Mode ISO400 Smooth From JP,Yokohama

• @Ralph_B I would rather shoot at night too. I think you have alot more creative options at hand.

• @vicharris Glad you're enjoying Sanity. Night shooting is important to me, and it's one of the things I worked on to get right.

• Hey @Ralph_B Not sure if you saw it but I shot the timelapse stuff and all the dusk and night shots at the end of this promo video with 5.1 and the Pany 20mm 1.7. The night stuff came out great with amazing colors! Thanks so much for the amazing patches at such low bit rate!! Actually the still for the video is 5.1

• @tcarretti Dude, you really need to start working out. You're starting to look like shit!!! LOL

• Indoor example of Sanity 5.1 using 14-42 kit lens:

Kit lens was hunting a little with face recognition in the opening shot, but very pleased with quality.

• @tomson8877 Goog job. Could you tell me which profile as used? And the levels of Sharpe, Contrast..