Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias @rigs And it's not just turning the camera off and back on. It happens when the cam goes into "sleep mode" as well. Found that out the hard way, so now I don't even go anywhere near the top row of ISOs. I just stick to 200, 400, 800, and 1600

• One day, one of these patches will pass the @rigs test....or maybe not :)

Seriously though, I know what you're on about. I've noticed the increase in noise, but it's come with the benefit of much more detail. It's easy to dial out the noisy blacks, and you're going to need neat video if you've underexposed the entire scene.

I've noticed macro blocking in the sky when pushed hard, but it's much better than what it used to be. I'm still a fan of Sedna thus far.

• @rigs If you are using the top row ISOs (160, 320, etc.) make sure that you are always approaching them from above on the ISO menu. If you turn of the camera, you have to it again. This is the noise bug people talked about , so if you are not already doing that, it might be causing issues. If you want the foolproof way to avoid the noise bug, just use the middle row ISOs (200, 400, etc.) and you will not encounter it.

If you are already doing that, then your situation is unusual. But from your description, it sounded like you were doing the opposite.

• We can argue about noise in myst. Vs other patches. But when it comes down to detail myst. burst mode seems like the winner to me.

• But what about the noise. In my test with these patches there is a ton of noise in the greys and blacks. And the macroblocking in the blue channel is poor. I always start up my cam at a 1000 iso and dial down to a lower iso, avoid 200, 400, 800 and manual white balance and I use smooth -2 all around. Even iso 160 properlly exposed is killing me in the blacks.

• I don't get what everyone is so impressed about either Rigs, the 2 images are chalk and cheese. Are people just reacting to the appearance of sharpness??

The Mysteron has had a major white balancing as can be seen in the white spot on the center leaf and that much noise is definitely a reason for concern.

• @rigs I don't know. Something about the colors in q20 sedna has me.

• @driftwood, So left is raw which looks good - but the right looks like a lot of macro noise crap and 420 8 bit shit as usual. Sorry to say - but why does everyone think Mysteron is so good. What gives.

• ...slightly sharpening, noise is very organic. Thanks Driftwood / VK :)

Sedna Sharpening.JPG
    2116 x 1207 - 276K
  • @driftwood Wow Great work. Did you add sharping ?

• Sedna AQ1 - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II

• @driftwood see i found it,..give me 5

• Left is RAW, right is mysteron slightly graded.

• Left is RAW. Right is, well, not RAW. Boost saturation and it becomes apparent.

• The noise on the left one is much more fine, but could be due to there issues. Id say left is raw just based on that though.

• @cjdincer mysteron is a experimental patch especially the burst one,....i am keeping myself off from mysteron but tested it well enough,....you choose on u r own,....

• @driftwood right one is burst and left one is raw,..can see sharpness in the edges

• @lumixuser Actually I was just seeing if it would go for more than a few seconds, I'm not using a garbage lens and you can keep your fucking comments to yourself from now on. Thanks for the critique!

• so which one is better in Post, CC, Grading etc. sedna A or Mysteron anyone has a verdict yet? I am so confused right now.

• Right photo is raw. more detail & color grade but not by much is my guess

• Left RAW, you make PAL users jealous ;-)

• 4:2:0 ... sigh ... =) Other than that it looks great. Is that burst or non-burst?

• @Driftwood Just so no one gets confused, that is Mysteron (not Mysteron Burst) vs RAW, right?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions