Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • ..Just did some fast test with 720 Sedna A, and @Driftwood latest 720 experimental matrix set.
    Test is done with max 5 minutes time differences, with the exact same settings. in PAL
    Weather is bad here, but it did not changes in that time.
    The "720 experimental matrix set " was 1/3 stop lighter then with Sedna!!
    Does this mean that the experimental matrix set is meant for low light takes?.
    Vibrant 0 -2 0 -2
    iso 200
    SS 1/50
    F8

ps.
    Do i really see a greater color space, or are i am just a idiot?
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

• @mozes I must have missed something. What 720 experimental matrix set? Nice shots BTW!

• @peternap Mysteron burst..

• @Kihlian Oh that....Thanks!

• @Mozes Natural light changes much more than it appears or we think. In several patch comparisons, I thought I saw a difference between patches that turned out not to be there once the lighting was fully controlled. Note, this was not while testing Mysteron - I have not done that extensively enough yet.To check color and brightness differences, you need completely controlled light to be sure.

Look at the PNG file comparisons I did of Factory vs Orion vs Sedna Aq1 A and C that I made earlier this week. When I did my first natural light comparison during the day, I had thought there might be a brightness difference too - but the controlled lighting test debunked that and showed the difference was in the detail. Note that I am referring to the way the images looked wihtout post, though you can use those PNG files to test with post as well.

• Just to reinforce my opinion so far....does anyone else agree that Sedna Q20A is still king of image quality?

• @wigginjs @paglez Delkin also makes a 95MB/s. I use the 16GB version regularly and (other than spanning) it has worked well with 24H on every Driftwood patch released before Mysteron burst this year. I have not tried Mysteron burst, nor have I tried a higher capacity version of the card. If they a 64GB model, it may span - I am unsure.

SanDisk 30MB/s and 45MB/s are some of the better performing non 95MB/s cards. I would be happy to compare them, if they were not two of the only cards I had, had physically break on me. I should probably write them about that, because I can`t believe that is normal for the cards, and yet it has never happened with the cheaper Transcend ones.

Anyway, with my Transcend cards (like the 64GB SDXC) detail level, ISO, etc.all make a big difference in terms of whether I can record for very long with a given patch. Some combinations stop after a few seconds, others go on for minutes. I was able to shoot takes over 3 minutes in 720 50P with Sedna Aq1 C at ISO 1600 or 1250 last week with the Transcend 64GB SDXC but that was outside as it was getting quite dark, so there was less visual information. In high detail situations I sometimes had trouble with the same combination on that card.

So if you want fully reliable, the 95MB/s cards seem to be the way to go whether they are Delkin or SanDisk. But spanning has not been verified on Delkin yet - it needs higher capcity card testing.

• @Peternap In all the tests I did, I saw no consistent advantage for AQ1 A vs Q20 A. One vs the other is a matter of taste. But either one had the best image quality in 24H mode before Mysteron was released and I do not feel there has been enough 24H testing to be sure about it compares yet.

It certainly seems like that may still be the case and those are the patches I would for high detail 50P at this point. I loved the results of Sedna AQ1 C for 50P - bitrates often in the 90mbps to 100mbps range on a shoot I did last week. Mysteron seems to be quite good at 60P so far.

In other words, the Sedna patches are the highest image quality ones that have been sufficiently tested and proved so far. Mysteron is one I am still testing.

• I´m shooting only on 720 50p. In the last time I don´t have tried every settings like in the past, but for me Sedna A is still the best too! Had made few shot now with Orion dark V3, because I had to be sure that the camera spans for about 2-3 Minutes but it´s not the same.. And with Sedna Q20 I have smoother pans than AQ1? Or just mi imagination?

• @Kihlian That would be odd but certainly not impossible. Since the frame update frequency and GOP length are the same, the pans should not be smoother with one than the other, but I do not trust my own pans to be sufficiently consistent to compare consecutively and I only use 1 GH2. :)

• @thepalalias "SanDisk 30MB/s and 45MB/s are some of the better performing non 95MB/s cards. I would be happy to compare them, if they were not two of the only cards I had, had physically break on me." Sorry, I haven't understand what you mean. I'd like to know more about the new Sandisk 45MB/s... it's working with Sedna AQ1-Mysteron Burst?

p.s. New Sandisk 45MB/s is the one in this photo

SNC00997.jpg
    480 x 640 - 99K
  • @thepalalias I now it´s impossible to make two exactly same pans, also mi imagination ;-)

• @telefoninomac I would love to tell you more but I had one 30MB/s and one 45MB/s SanDisk and they both physically broke before the newest set of patches came out. As in, parts of the plastic came off, etc.and the card cannot be recognized in one case.

I will try to find time to write SanDisk about replacements now that the music video and Joanna St. Claire single are finished.

• @Kihlian Imagination is a powerful thing, but like I said - I cannot disprove that you are right, either. :)

• The very little I've done with Burst has been disappointing. Usually only a few seconds but at night, it went on for a minute and I stopped it. I decided to try it on Zeus while it was overcast. I need to spend more time with it. It's looking a little more promising.

• Mysteron Burst v RAW. Which is RAW?

mysteron v raw.png
    2452 x 866 - 4M
  • Impressive!

• @Driftwood Just so no one gets confused, that is Mysteron (not Mysteron Burst) vs RAW, right?

• 4:2:0 ... sigh ... =) Other than that it looks great. Is that burst or non-burst?

• Left RAW, you make PAL users jealous ;-)

• Right photo is raw. more detail & color grade but not by much is my guess

• so which one is better in Post, CC, Grading etc. sedna A or Mysteron anyone has a verdict yet? I am so confused right now.

• @lumixuser Actually I was just seeing if it would go for more than a few seconds, I'm not using a garbage lens and you can keep your fucking comments to yourself from now on. Thanks for the critique!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions