Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @GH2_fan just to give case and point. I had a 45mb/s sandisk 16gb card that had error after error even with some of the more gentle patches. I exchanged it for a 95mb/s card which just arrived yesterday (after about 3 1/2 months waiting). The 95mb/s card is working without flaw so far including my test last night of moonlit cherry blossoms at 6400ISO using mysteron on 1080p.

• @thepalalias & @mee That is very interesting, but I dont understand how there could be more than one Sandisk 16GB or 32GB Class 10 45MB/s???

I have checked the link and the closest I could find was something like this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280857551257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• @GH2_fan Best of luck with you finding one that works. I wish I could more help. :)

• @Kihlian Haven't read that thread yet. Will check it out soon but am busy with the music video stuff right now. :)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2788/joanna-st.-claires-new-single-prayer-of-light-music-video-shot-in-part-with-gh2-sedna-aq1-c#Item_6

(The one that mixes Sedna AQ1 C with HV30 footage and heavy grading.)

• yeah - try shooting with it in a real production situation when you are running around with your head cut off like I am usually, and when you forget you're in 640, and the camera goes to sleep, and then wakes up into a mess of noise and ruins your shot. You'll tell 640 to fuck right the hell off. Cuz it happened to me, and I won't even mess with it anymore.

• ISO Bug after sleep mode is VERY bad news, I did not recognize that before. For larger projects we run a external V-Mount anyways and disable sleep mode completly, but for the small stuff, jumping around without the heavy rig this is a real drawback. It means you either have to do 5 clicks each time the cam wakes up (yes, dangerous to forget) or disable sleep mode and empty your batteries in a quarter of the time.

This should be top priority to fix for Panasonic! I don´t understand at all why they did not adress this in the firmware update.

However, back on topic: Sedna is really amazing, I did not try Mysteron until now, but Sedna is already soo freaking good, even for the big screen. Thanks alot!

• After hacking my black model GH2 about 50 times i have come to the following conclusions: Nick Driftwoods patches have absolutely stunning IQ and are the best around. I love Sedna and am completely blown away by the Mysteron burst quality, though very experimental. I cannot test it properly for i have only shitty Trancend SD-cards @ this moment. There is however quite a lot of mosquito grain in Driftwoods patches fuzzing around @ higher iso's and your high mbs footage will keep your pc/mac bussy and hot! Rendering and grading is more difficult than stock settings of course. Footage will also not play stutterfree in all mediaplayers because of Intra/GOP1. (but all this most of us will know) Grainwise f.i. Cake v2 by balazer, Sanity by Ralph B and towi's Pal settings are is the best around, especially for HBR 25p mode! Gop 3/6/12 plays better in most players and is easier handled in post. I will test Cluster V2 against towi's pal50/pal66 settings the day it will be released..... I am also very curious what will happen to P.V., now Panasonic is directly involved. GOP1/Intra on the GH4? lol @driftwood if i can run some test for you pls let me know! My YT clips: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUsIRMqYKoU_Wz7UE_bqpt8g&feature=plcp

• @ishvar Panasonic is not involved, it was an April Fools joke. Although I do a lot of testing with the GOP1 settings, for any work/project that I do I always use a GOP3 setting. Personally, although I do have a pretty fast PC, I've never experienced any additional hassle or overhead working with GOP1 footage over longer GOP footage. Rendering and grading should actually be a faster process as the applications can build frames quicker (the reality is no real noticeable difference on the whole), grading is also a lot more flexible with these lower GOP settings.

• Good point @shian about the sleep mode. I think I've been caught out by that quite a few times. 2nd row ISOs for me from now on.

• @ishvar @Stray In my experience, it is the higher bitrates (not the GOP length) that taxes system playback. For instance, SpanMyBU v1 plays back on a PS3 much more easily than Orion does.

• @thepalalias Yeah, pretty much what I was trying to say. The thing about a higher bitrate though is it definitely effects playback, it doesn't really effect the rendering of an edit for example.

• @ishvar "There is however quite a lot of mosquito grain in Driftwoods patches fuzzing around @ higher iso's "

I guess you refer to normal sensor noise, not mosquito noise? While sensor noise is unavoidable and will get more visible the higher you set the bitrate - cause noise is details and low bitrates somewhat "denoise" by simply trowing this detail away - mosquito noise is the result of heavy compression. This is a big difference, sensor noise can be cleaned very well with Neat Video or MB Denoiser, while mosquito noise is a bitch in this respect.

In short: If a setting gives you alot visible sensor noise thats a feature, if you see mosquito noise, its a bug.

(And yes, I know there is things going on with matrixes and deartefacting that do play a big role in how noise shows up in the compressed stream - but we are quite far away from visible mosquito noise IMHO.)

• @shian @Meierhans @itimjim A way to make sure you are coming from higher ISOs down to the ones you want: for example set your C1 to 1250 and then bring it down to 640 for shooting. Even if it "goes to sleep" it will wake up again with 1250. So you are always forced to work around the bug.

• Noise isn't always bad anyway - by which I mean, if you have a subject where you get a lot of banding (smooth gradation of light falling on a whitish surface, for example) then a noisier setting which you then noise-reduce in post will pretty much eliminate the banding, whereas if you have a very clean shot you will be stuck with banding.

I was experimenting with a Nikon 1.4 at a lower ISO (giving very clean video) and the banding on the tall candle was horrendous as the candle in the cage (on the left side) flickered. I went back and shot it at a much higher ISO and denoised in post, and the attached resulting image has almost no banding. You can still see some, but believe me, the low-ISO version was really, really bad whereas this noise-reduced version is pretty much fine.

So noise can be your friend!

NR-banding_example.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 319K
  • @Mark_the_Harp Good tip! I have also noticed the same thing with my high iso inside shots. They seem to clean up better than some of my low iso outdoor shots!

• Ok you spotted the difference/ However, the Mysteron clip was shot at 800 ISO f5.6 shutter 100 - The RAW at 400 ISO f4 1/40 shutter.

This thread is about to close... new thread going up as we have over 1000 comments again...

The new thread link 4 is at:-

Series 4 Link

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY MORE COMMENTS HERE. VK IS ABOUT TO CLOSE THIS THREAD.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions