Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood right one is burst and left one is raw,..can see sharpness in the edges

• @cjdincer mysteron is a experimental patch especially the burst one,....i am keeping myself off from mysteron but tested it well enough,....you choose on u r own,....

• The noise on the left one is much more fine, but could be due to there issues. Id say left is raw just based on that though.

• Left is RAW. Right is, well, not RAW. Boost saturation and it becomes apparent.

• Left is RAW, right is mysteron slightly graded.

• @driftwood see i found it,..give me 5

• Sedna AQ1 - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II

• @driftwood Wow Great work. Did you add sharping ?

• ...slightly sharpening, noise is very organic. Thanks Driftwood / VK :)

Sedna Sharpening.JPG
    2116 x 1207 - 276K
  • @driftwood, So left is raw which looks good - but the right looks like a lot of macro noise crap and 420 8 bit shit as usual. Sorry to say - but why does everyone think Mysteron is so good. What gives.

• @rigs I don't know. Something about the colors in q20 sedna has me.

• I don't get what everyone is so impressed about either Rigs, the 2 images are chalk and cheese. Are people just reacting to the appearance of sharpness??

The Mysteron has had a major white balancing as can be seen in the white spot on the center leaf and that much noise is definitely a reason for concern.

• But what about the noise. In my test with these patches there is a ton of noise in the greys and blacks. And the macroblocking in the blue channel is poor. I always start up my cam at a 1000 iso and dial down to a lower iso, avoid 200, 400, 800 and manual white balance and I use smooth -2 all around. Even iso 160 properlly exposed is killing me in the blacks.

• We can argue about noise in myst. Vs other patches. But when it comes down to detail myst. burst mode seems like the winner to me.

• @rigs If you are using the top row ISOs (160, 320, etc.) make sure that you are always approaching them from above on the ISO menu. If you turn of the camera, you have to it again. This is the noise bug people talked about , so if you are not already doing that, it might be causing issues. If you want the foolproof way to avoid the noise bug, just use the middle row ISOs (200, 400, etc.) and you will not encounter it.

If you are already doing that, then your situation is unusual. But from your description, it sounded like you were doing the opposite.

• One day, one of these patches will pass the @rigs test....or maybe not :)

Seriously though, I know what you're on about. I've noticed the increase in noise, but it's come with the benefit of much more detail. It's easy to dial out the noisy blacks, and you're going to need neat video if you've underexposed the entire scene.

I've noticed macro blocking in the sky when pushed hard, but it's much better than what it used to be. I'm still a fan of Sedna thus far.

• @thepalalias @rigs And it's not just turning the camera off and back on. It happens when the cam goes into "sleep mode" as well. Found that out the hard way, so now I don't even go anywhere near the top row of ISOs. I just stick to 200, 400, 800, and 1600

• @thepalalias Thanks very much for that informative post, it did indeed was more helpful. However like I mentioned before, I have lowered the bitrates to 50M and 100M to avoid this sort of problem but it seems it didnt help. I really like this patch as I'm all for quality but I definately knew I wouldnt be able to handle nor do I have space for 157M (if I'm correct).

When you mentioned that "the newest patches have not been designed for those cards", do you mean specifically my 7DayShop 32GB Class 10 card? or due to it's speed? Because after abit of research into my card, it has a writing speed of 20Mb/s apprantly.

So I would like to ask, is this happening to me mainly due to the writing speed of my cards? Or, the new patches just like Sandisk and more pricier SD cards??? :D If it's the former, what is the speed for a card to record video onto? :)

• I know about the noise bug, as I said I always work down the iso range. I do have neat video and a bunch of other tricks. GH2 rez is real good but Man I wish it was better with noise.

• @rigs then you are doing something wrong. As my reel can attest, the GH2 is great with noise, when used properly. OR you have a bad sensor. (it happens, which is why I recommend people not hack their cams out of the box. That they shoot with it a bit first to see if they have a bad chip, and if so, send it in for warranty replacement until they get a good one before hacking it.)

• @thepalalias yes more helpful. However, my card should handle that, it is a class10. Do you have a card reco that will work on these patches? I'm a newbie to some of this and just want things to "work". I don't have a ton of time to det into the details as many do on here.

• @GH2_Fan @jvalal The SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s will run all the new patches and has the highest probability of spanning of any card tested so far. I have also tested the Delkin 16Gb 95MB/s and it has worked with every new patch in 24H (I have not tried Mysteron Burst) and generally seems to work in most other modes ( I would have to check individually, but it is my go-to card since it used to be much cheaper than the SanDisk option whether it is now or not). BUT the Delkin does not span the new Sedna, Orion, etc, etc.

At this point, those are the two brands and those are the cards we have the most test data on for the new patches with consistent performance.

Once again - the bitrate is NOT the only factor. If the max frame size is too large, it can also cause problems on slower cards.

I repeat, if you want reliable performance for the newest patches, makes sure to get a 95MB/s card (SanDisk 64GB if you want a better shot at spanning).

Also, not all Class 10 cards are equal. The less common brand mentioned seems likely to be a low performer but I am not sure. The SanDisk Class 10 cards are faster than usual, for the most part. Hope that helps.

• @thepalalias Thanks for replying back, that is once again helpful. I understand now that it's not only due to bitrate, but your mentioning of using a 95MB/s card states that we would need a card at that speed???

If I am correct, I read in earlier posts that noone has had a problem with using a 45MB/s card, can you probably verify me on this?

• @GH2_fan The problem with the 45MB/s SanDisk cards is that there are several versions. Some of the versions are discussed here.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards#Item_301

Some of the SanDisk 45MB/s perform well, other models less so. If you get the 95MB/s SanDisk, there is currently only one version and it is the best-performing card that has been tested so far. So if you want peace of mind, get the SanDisk 95MB/s but if you find a great deal on the 45MB/s version, make sure it is the right one (check in that link I included).

• @Shian Thanks for mentioning "sleep mode" - I neglected that.

@Rigs Got it. :) Was the noise similar for the 2nd row ISOs? I normally do not have issues in the blacks if it is properly exposed, except for the occasional "flickering shadows" issue. Do you have a picture so I can see if it is that one or a different issue?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions