Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 720p50/60 and 1080i60 Settings
  • 254 Replies sorted by
  • @daihard and @rikyxxx Thank you guys. It's working much better than Compressor+Cinema Tools

• I manipulate photos and images "professionally" (it's part of my job), so trust me on this: real input values can make a difference, not "generated" ones :-)

• AIC is an I-frame only version of MPEG-2. Not really optimized for space, speed and generational loss. Plus, once you do any grading, filtering or noise reduction to 4:2:0 footage, you can generate intermediate values which profit from 4:2:2 and 10 bit.

• @nomad

@duartix is right, "/" means "or".

However the main ProRes advantage over AIC is 4:2:2 chroma-sub, but GH2 support only 4:2:0 so I really don't know whether going for ProRes would be any better.

• @nomad : I guess "/" means "or"

• Why going through an inferior codec like AIC? Go straight to ProRes!

• @Hakosuka

The easy way: GH2 => iMove/FCP => AIC/ProRes => Jes

• @rikyxxx what do you use to convert the MTS so JES can read it? I'd like to be able to use deinterlaced slowmotion but all the software I use converts it to a progressive file which is only 29.97.

• @MorphoV

@daihard is right, Jes does a great job!

Jes => http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

Here are the settings I use for SloMo:

http://cl.ly/2q0Y2j2n0k2i3G0i2P0D

• There are various plug'ins -free and paid- that do a decent job, available for both Adobe and FCP. JES Deinterlacer is a free program, that does a phenomenal job deinterlacing footage on a mac.

• In case you have After Effects around.. it does a pretty good job on deinterlacing. Simply open footage properties, click the "preserve high quality" (dunno how its exactly called, not on my machine). Then slow down footage 50 %. It also supports "pixel motion", which is nothing else than a cheapo twixtor. Might be suitable for your tasks. I have good experience with values like 25%, 12.5%, 10 %, 5 %...

• @MorphoV I don't know what the deinterlacing situation is on the mac. If you were on Windows, I would point you to Avisynth, which has some of the best deinterlacers on the planet.

• Here is my second slow motion test using @Ralph_B 's Sanity patch:

It was running smoothly on H setting with my Transcend SDXC 64Gb... but of course, dark areas are quite noisy.

For the next slow mo test, I'd like to try the 1080i/60 mode, but I just can't find a proper workflow on mac: Deinterlacing with compressor gives me really noisy dark areas...or macro-blocking. Any advice?

Thanks.

• @ishhy Thanks, ishhy. I'm glad you're enjoying Sanity. So am I!

• I used quantum 9b for this...not a single error message. I'm really liking the 720 on this patch. interviews=MJPEG, the rest 720 SH except for 1 or 2 MJPEG clips. Card=sandisk 32g 30mb/s video HD. Graded.

Password = athleteprofile

• @mozes Thank you very much for the tip of...

"When you change settings, for example from 720 to 1080, then switch your gh2 off, and on again. then it works without error, if you dont switch on and off, there can be a wright error. same go's if you switch from movie to photo picture"

I have been experiencing many "write errors" with many recent patches from all, especially on 720 60p & 1080 60i. I been wondering why I am very good at let writing errors occur when others have success. Now I am enjoying this Ralph's patch at last in Ver.3.1.

@Ralph_B Thank you very much for your great V3.1 patch! It produces very beautiful 720p and 1080i iamges. I am using Sandisk HD VIDEO 30mb SD cards with 14-140mm lens. I guess the 720p & the 1080i are the more taxing setting of all but, in any combinations of FHS, HS, SH, H with EX-Tele and 80% speed (30P) with AF + IS in Ai, P, S, A or M modes really worked when I followed the avobe Mozes's instruction.

• @Ralph_B I hadn't checked out Sam's directions before - they may be more thorough than mine. Here's the first draft of mine.

http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/01/05/using-higher-bitrates-and-isos-on-the-gh2/

• Thanks for the links guys! I will report again, when I have done the Hack! And probaly bought one off those cards!

• @Jaapsb

I can really recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Memory-Brushed-Metal/dp/B005TUQVR2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327507920&sr=1-2

They are dirty cheap here in Euroland (~18-20€), I benchmarked mine writing at 15MBps (which is 120Mbps) and it does stand Quantum 100 without any hiccup, although I didn't test it for spanning.

• @Jaap sanity v3.1 will work great with your card.
    its the same patch and cart (i used the 32gb) in that motocross video clip

When you change settings, for example from 720 to 1080, then switch your gh2 off, and on again.
    then it works without error, if you dont switch on and off, there can be a wright error. same go's if you switch from movie to photo picture.

<

p> Tip. Dont use the dutch language but choose English, if i for example don't do that, i get the error "file exceed limit".
    Format the card in pal format, if you choose ntsc you will get a error, or a warning to set the language.

• @Ralph_B Thanks for pointing the right way !

I am going to try it, do you think it will improve for my kind of use ?

And what about my card? , If necessary I will buy another.

• @Mozes, that motorcross looks amazing!

I have the following card: Sandisk, Class 10, 30mb/s, sdhc uhc-i

I must read more on this site, but can probaly someone help me start up ?

Because I make aerials with my multirotor, I can not look at the screen, I have a small camera as downlink.

So I need a hack, but have to be sure it's working, otherwise when it locks-up, I am still doing my best to fly it, etc.. for nothing.

Also I need to be sure it can take .raw photo's, without first having to reset etc.. , (to much stress on a set.)

Because of movement of the heli, and the subject.. never fly in low light.

Can anyone help me started !?

Thanks in advance !

www.aircamzeeland.nl

• This is the hack I need?; Need it for filming aerials with rc multirotor, so lots of movement and panning.

Using stock gh2 I can only use 720 60p because of jitter and rolling shutter in 1080.

Will be first hack, but I do have a fast card.