Personal View site logo
GH2 720p50/60 and 1080i60 Settings
  • 254 Replies sorted by
  • I used 720 60p SH and got the write errors that locked up the camera, but I was shooting for long periods of time (about a 30-60 seconds per shot). after the third of fourth freeze up I changed over to 720 60p H mode and was able to finish the shoot. I was using the extreme variation. I guess I'll try the other version or try the extreme variation again, but stick to 720p H. Are the extreme variation 720p H settings the same as the non extreme 720p SH?

anyway here are some shots: interview, realtime action and 80% slow motion action was shot with MJPEG settings of quantum V7. 50% slow motion shots done with extreme THIRTY 720 60p SH an 60p H.

Password = athleteprofile

• Just did a shoot with Sanity 3.1. Some problems:

• Sandisk HD 30MB/s: shot in 24H only, shooting was fine but I did seem to get some files the camera didn't recognize (take this with a gran of salt as I could've got mixed up between cards). Filled the cards before I could try 1080/60i (but some at-home tests were fine).

• Generic (7dayshop) Class 10 card: frequent write errors. I shoot 3D with two bodies and have to power-cycle them for each shot. I found that if I wait about 10 secs after turn-on (long after the SD card icon has vanished), the takes then always worked, suggesting the bodies are doing something even after the SD icon disappears. But the camera failed to recognize some takes on playback. 1080/60i FSH takes would always fail within seconds so I gave up trying.

Before Sanity I used cbrandin's excellent 66M 24H without any recording/playback problems on both card types, so I will integrate that and try to dial down Sanity's 1080/60i until I get something that is reliable on my setup.

• sanity v3.1
    Lens all the time on 150mm with some parts with tele2.
    all shot in 720p 50 fps (only the last clip is 1080i converted to 1080p 50fps)
    720 upscaled to 1080.

Not available? then Still uploading

• Shot 24H Sanity V3.1 on an Elite Delkin UHS-1 16GB and a Trascend Class 10 black 32GB. Max clip length 8 minutes 32 seconds, no spanning.

This was spliced together from some such footage, recompressed as DivX.

• This is the hack I need?; Need it for filming aerials with rc multirotor, so lots of movement and panning.

Using stock gh2 I can only use 720 60p because of jitter and rolling shutter in 1080.

Will be first hack, but I do have a fast card.

• @Mozes, that motorcross looks amazing!

I have the following card: Sandisk, Class 10, 30mb/s, sdhc uhc-i

I must read more on this site, but can probaly someone help me start up ?

Because I make aerials with my multirotor, I can not look at the screen, I have a small camera as downlink.

So I need a hack, but have to be sure it's working, otherwise when it locks-up, I am still doing my best to fly it, etc.. for nothing.

Also I need to be sure it can take .raw photo's, without first having to reset etc.. , (to much stress on a set.)

Because of movement of the heli, and the subject.. never fly in low light.

Can anyone help me started !?

Thanks in advance !

www.aircamzeeland.nl

• @Ralph_B Thanks for pointing the right way !

I am going to try it, do you think it will improve for my kind of use ?

And what about my card? , If necessary I will buy another.

• @Jaap sanity v3.1 will work great with your card.
    its the same patch and cart (i used the 32gb) in that motocross video clip

When you change settings, for example from 720 to 1080, then switch your gh2 off, and on again.
    then it works without error, if you dont switch on and off, there can be a wright error. same go's if you switch from movie to photo picture.

<

p> Tip. Dont use the dutch language but choose English, if i for example don't do that, i get the error "file exceed limit".
    Format the card in pal format, if you choose ntsc you will get a error, or a warning to set the language.

• @Jaapsb

I can really recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Memory-Brushed-Metal/dp/B005TUQVR2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327507920&sr=1-2

They are dirty cheap here in Euroland (~18-20€), I benchmarked mine writing at 15MBps (which is 120Mbps) and it does stand Quantum 100 without any hiccup, although I didn't test it for spanning.

• Thanks for the links guys! I will report again, when I have done the Hack! And probaly bought one off those cards!

• @Ralph_B I hadn't checked out Sam's directions before - they may be more thorough than mine. Here's the first draft of mine.

http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/01/05/using-higher-bitrates-and-isos-on-the-gh2/

• @mozes Thank you very much for the tip of...

"When you change settings, for example from 720 to 1080, then switch your gh2 off, and on again. then it works without error, if you dont switch on and off, there can be a wright error. same go's if you switch from movie to photo picture"

I have been experiencing many "write errors" with many recent patches from all, especially on 720 60p & 1080 60i. I been wondering why I am very good at let writing errors occur when others have success. Now I am enjoying this Ralph's patch at last in Ver.3.1.

@Ralph_B Thank you very much for your great V3.1 patch! It produces very beautiful 720p and 1080i iamges. I am using Sandisk HD VIDEO 30mb SD cards with 14-140mm lens. I guess the 720p & the 1080i are the more taxing setting of all but, in any combinations of FHS, HS, SH, H with EX-Tele and 80% speed (30P) with AF + IS in Ai, P, S, A or M modes really worked when I followed the avobe Mozes's instruction.

• I used quantum 9b for this...not a single error message. I'm really liking the 720 on this patch. interviews=MJPEG, the rest 720 SH except for 1 or 2 MJPEG clips. Card=sandisk 32g 30mb/s video HD. Graded.

Password = athleteprofile

• @ishhy Thanks, ishhy. I'm glad you're enjoying Sanity. So am I!

• Here is my second slow motion test using @Ralph_B 's Sanity patch:

It was running smoothly on H setting with my Transcend SDXC 64Gb... but of course, dark areas are quite noisy.

For the next slow mo test, I'd like to try the 1080i/60 mode, but I just can't find a proper workflow on mac: Deinterlacing with compressor gives me really noisy dark areas...or macro-blocking. Any advice?

Thanks.

• @MorphoV I don't know what the deinterlacing situation is on the mac. If you were on Windows, I would point you to Avisynth, which has some of the best deinterlacers on the planet.

• In case you have After Effects around.. it does a pretty good job on deinterlacing. Simply open footage properties, click the "preserve high quality" (dunno how its exactly called, not on my machine). Then slow down footage 50 %. It also supports "pixel motion", which is nothing else than a cheapo twixtor. Might be suitable for your tasks. I have good experience with values like 25%, 12.5%, 10 %, 5 %...

• There are various plug'ins -free and paid- that do a decent job, available for both Adobe and FCP. JES Deinterlacer is a free program, that does a phenomenal job deinterlacing footage on a mac.

• @MorphoV

@daihard is right, Jes does a great job!

Jes => http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

Here are the settings I use for SloMo:

http://cl.ly/2q0Y2j2n0k2i3G0i2P0D

• @rikyxxx what do you use to convert the MTS so JES can read it? I'd like to be able to use deinterlaced slowmotion but all the software I use converts it to a progressive file which is only 29.97.

• @Hakosuka

The easy way: GH2 => iMove/FCP => AIC/ProRes => Jes

• Why going through an inferior codec like AIC? Go straight to ProRes!

• @nomad : I guess "/" means "or"