Personal View site logo
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • @Chrispy wrote earlier in this thread:
    "Panasonic Rep came into my work the other day and said the GH2 firmware would be out on Oct 21st.........We'll see"
    So will just have to wait and see:-)
  • All the other lumixes got their update, except the gh2. So I guess Panasonic is waiting for Vitaliy to release the new ptool to see how they can keep the loss at a minimum and Vitaliy is waiting for Panasonic for his new release to include the new settings (hopefully 25p). Let's see who holds the breath for how long. (I'm out of breath a long time ago)
  • Still no GH2 update.
  • Oops!
    It appears that Panasonic removed the G3 and GF3 firmware v1.1 update. I'd guess from the text there is a possible instability with their 4/3 lens adapter? Need to add that to the test matrix...

For customers of DMC-G3 and DMC-GF3

The download for the firmware update program to Ver. 1.1 is temporally suspended, in order to make sure the reliability of the firmware, especially in case of the use of Four Thirds Lens couppled with mount Adapter.

The download will be available back again around the middle of Oct.
  • any chance a zoom remote will work after this, like the Libec ZC-3DV?
  • Hope that the reason for leaving the GH2 out in today’s release do have some significant reason such as testing and inclusion of 25p;-)
    Dreams? Well at least my hope:-)
  • I'm hoping Panasonic takes longer time in GH2 firmware 1.1...
  • Any more on GH2, release and/or any new features?
  • Released today

DMC-G3 Ver.1.1
    DMC-GF2 Ver.1.1
    DMC-GF3 Ver.1.1

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html
  • GF2/3 and G3 f/w is out to support new x lense zooms-displays. Looking forward to new GH2 f/w do you think they'll proide 25p?
  • Panasonic Rep came into my work the other day and said the GH2 firmware would be out on Oct 21st.........We'll see
  • this update from Panasonic is taking it's time to appear
  • "Panny turned me into a toad!"

"But then how ever are you operating your GH2 with those tiny little toad hands?"

"… I got better!"
  • My ideal FW update would allow me to put the histogram on one function key and peaking on another. My third function key is well used for ETC. Obviously 1080p 60fps would be sweet but not expected in this reality. A transformer button that'd turn me into a toad? Oh, um, the shutter release, right. Sorry
  • I'm keeping my hopes up high for the upcoming GH2 official firmware update. Peaking, 25p, encoder bug fixes, etc. No gimmicks. Real deal!!!
  • One nice feather to add...

Auto ISO for Creative Movie mode!!!

Set ISO to Auto. Then Creative mode enables users to change aperture, shutter speed, and "desired" EV settings. Then I'd use a spot metering and click AE lock button to lock auto selected ISO value. Max ISO value can be set by ISO limiter. If the max ISO cannot meet the desired EV setting, the screen will display the settings in red color.

This will be a lifesaver for event shooters. I don't really care ISO value between 160 and 1600.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev. Is it possible that we see in the near future an hack for the popular Lumix G3 for 1080p @ 30fps / 25 fps or 24 fps?

• lets hope this happens.
  • Of course, I also hope for 25p. But what would also be great to have adopted in the new firmware, is SDHC UHS-I support. Anyone heard anything on that?
  • I think that if someone make 25p for GH2 it is most propably VK.
  • Can't. Need 24fps 1080p to shoot films.

Maybe anyone who wants to chime in about this banding can do it here.
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/693/gh2-showing-fixed-darker-bandstripe-20-pixels-high-across-footage#Item_38

• @tinyrobot

try shooting at 720p50, as that band vanishes totally in that mode
  • @tinyrobot

What lenses are you using? I've moved to faster glass and lower ISOs. (I got a 35mm 1.7 and a 50mm 1.4 off my mother's old SLR she no longer uses :) ).

If the horizontal banding you are getting is fixed and you are proficient in After Effects, then the following should work to remove it. I've been meaning to test this workflow, but I haven't had time yet.

- Create a "noise" print of your camera by filming in darkness.
    - Use a noise removal tool on it, using part of your image that has no horizontal banding / FPN as the profile source.
    - You should now have a full-frame print of the FPN. Save it as a png.

It will be shutter speed specific in position and (I think) ISO specific in intensity but not in shape/position. You might just be able to capture it at 3200 and use this print for all ISOs.

Now, when you notice you have banding on shots you can do the following:

- Create a new layer containing your FPN print above the affected footage
    - Create another adjustment layer above that
    - Set the track matte of the adjustment layer to the first layer (containing the FPN print) and set the mode to "Luma Inverted"
    - Apply an effect (e.g. Colorista or even just levels or curves) to the adjustment layer to raise the gamma until the FPN is no longer visible

A pain in the arse but it should remove the banding.
  • Let's wait for one more month.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions