Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • @rains: isn't the need to buy something else a problem with you (and others with similar addiction) and not with dslrs? I for one think the massive pro with dslrs is that you invest in glass and then you have it. You invest in a rig and then you have it. The bodies will change, quickly, there's no real value in that (although the efforts from people on / behind this page helps to prolong that with some cameras). A mid-range camcorder (without the possibility to alter the optics / the look of the image before shooting) is even worse since it will very quickly become obsolete and what is it's value then? The only reason a camcorder is worth considering is if you are shooting live events (or similar) and can make money doing it - which quickly pays for the gear. But then I would also be very careful with options that cannot be used in other ways - and of quickly getting bracketed. (It might not be a problem for everyone, for sure!)

That said, there are a bunch of necessary and unnecessary things which will never keep their value - the major question then is about production value.
  • @RRRR: Exactly! I've built my rig so that if I change the camera all I have to change is the body and possibly a new adapter (right now I have Lomo OCT-19 lenses, but will probably convert them to PL in the future, for using with more cameras). My rig, tripod and everything did cost... But if you get quality stuff it's basically a one time purchase. Next time I get something, I just need to get a new body.

As you say a camcorder is a WORSE investment for future-proofing. I think it's better to spend more on getting a decent camera at a decent price (in this case a GH2) but spend it on a nice rig and nice glass, as that will last you through the years, no matter the camera.
  • @Gabel
    completely agree..!

• @Vitaliy: Do you know if the new firmware will be hackable? If so, what time you consider to get a new ptool with new firmware based?
    Thanks
  • Panasonic took the extra month for the new firmware. Hopefully... they changed a lot... in a good way!!! In that case, the longer he takes, the better I presume. 2012? :)
  • I just received the new GH2 with firmware version 1.1. I was hoping to be able to take advantage of all the hard work you guys have been doing. Any possibility I can revert to version 1 without doing damage, then installing the hack? The possibility of the higher bit rates were what attracted me to this cam, but it doesn't appear that I can change the firmware.
  • I think I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll look further and see if there is more info. Thanks. All I see is 24p.
  • Is it a pal euro version?
  • @FGCU are you a fan?
  • @graphicnatured: are you sure this is not just the "old news" lens firmware 1.1? Could you test one of the added features on its availability to confirm it is the new firmware? for example, disabling touch screen?
  • Yeah, starting to look like a little case of user error. It worked. My apologies. WOW, is all I can say.
  • Hey all, great work everyone and big thanks Vitaliy for making this possible!
    Just ordered my GH2 from BH few days ago and now saw this. So getting the NTSC version and I'm from Serbia, Europe.
    @graphicnatured Is it really with that new firmware and did you find a way to downgrade?

Cheers!
  • @graphicnatured can you give some more details
  • I think I was confused by the upgrade firmware saying 1.1 and not seeing any change in file size when I viewed in VLC. I tried a slightly different method on the fourth try and it worked. I used Aquamotion ver.2 here http://osgfilms.com/hack-the-panasonic-gh2 and used "2" for my increment and saved as GH2__V16. I then did a test vid of a minute and checked the file size and realized immediately that it worked. I viewed the vid on my 52" LCD and am more than pleased, especially coming from a D7000. Thanks Vitaliy and Driftwood!
  • @graphicnatured

Congrats on your successful hacked :) I think some of us are interested to know whether your camera is indeed shipped with 1.1 firmware and the next million dollar question, is there 25P?
  • Panasonic firmware has form of 1.12, but it does not show last digit on firmware info screen.
    So uncoming 1.1 release can be very different from 1.1 on camera (like 1.18 is different to 1.10) :-)
  • Yeah so I clearly don't have the new firmware and my confusion was in the above post.
  • What mean (from the beginning of December) or did they forgot the year 2013 ?
  • @RRRR
    @Gabel

You guys are not wrong, I'm just a bit fed up with waiting for firmware, extra features and so forth, I'm a firm believer in this mentality you speak of this logic, but a producer isn't going to back me on a project that is Micro four thirds unless it's the AF100 because they don't understand. Now a pro offering from panasonic with 10bit 422 all the silver lining...investors approve of this...everybody happy.

And I'll cut in GH2 material, hopefully no one will notice. Just to prove a point.
  • @rains: I see your point, but I've had no issues with the GH2. I shoot a lot for television production and most production companies here uses 5Ds. I've used my GH2 with a lot of material for them, which has been in 24p (I've just reconformed it, but it is going to be nice with real 25p, not a good long-term solution) and there's been no issues. Most of them aren't thinking about 10bit, 422 and the likes. The times they do it is for greenscreen heavy productions, but those projects are almost always shot on a RED anyway.
  • Awwww....here in germany it is already December...
    Get the Fish on the Dish - Panasonic xD
    Need it, have had the Power Zoom Lenses for about an Month or so...
  • @rains it's our jobs to make the producers (and the customers) understand... So if they find it dodgy, just say that the gh2 will get you the best possible image under 20k. Even better than panasonics own pro offerings.. Although, it of course depend on the project - what makes a difference or not. I'm going to get myself the high end gop1 spanning card (64gb) and never think twice again about using the gh2 if aesthetics is the main thing to go by and there isn't unlimited funds to spend. For a different type of project I will have no qualms over choosing another type of gear.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to 25p. Finally. It was stupid to omit it in first place and if we go by comments, Panasonic never really thought it would be a problem.

Like Gabel says, for greenscreen work you can do better by aiming higher, renting or borrowing..
  • Also, to be honest most producers or clients don't care about what camera you use. DSLRs are so common today, most of them put more effort in a nice price. If you were to show them what picture quality you get most of them will say it's fine.
  • The feed back here is priceless, a wealthy communitytyty tyty tyyy "That was a cyber echo" Ahh I had no intention of doing green or blue but if i needed it i'd be capable, ahh well fingers crossed for 25p, the Lumix /National Geographic collaberative making everyone aware, I thinks it's a regional thing, people here are canon up to the neck and so forth, big cams, but like i said you guys are not wrong, the looks i get when people see the GH's first impression is they are small, ahh when seeing the material they are indeed impressed but unsure it takes some swaying we need to remember canon have a very comfy spot and have for a while, anyway but there's much to be improved to satisfy my want of a near limitless unit to have no problem with any shot i script, jellow is really annoying but then again the photography style fincher used in the Zodiac and se7en are among my favourite so i guess i'm ok for now, but the GH3 really needs to be solid if it comes. IF
  • Someone said, after watching material from my neighbouring production company's showreel (which I shot on an unhacked gh2) - Is it Red?

(and no, it was not projected, it was on a large iMac monitor)

Not looking for an argument or anything, just saying it takes a bit of effort to make the gh2 look bad.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions