Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • Panasonic announces the new firmware update program for the digital interchangeable lens system cameras DMC-GH2, DMC-G3, DMC-GF3 and DMC-GF2 of LUMIX G Micro System.

The firmware version 1.1 will be released to enhance the functions when the camera is used with the new power zoom lenses - LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) and LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS45175).

The following functions will be available with the new firmware:
    - Display of the local length
    When you zoom, the focal distance is displayed and you can confirm the zoom position.
    - Step zoom
    When you operate the zoom, the zoom will stop at positions corresponding to predetermined distances.
    - Zoom resume
    When you switch the power switch [ON], the zoom positions when you last switched [OFF] are automatically restored.
    - Selectable zoom speed
    Users can select the speed of electric-powered zooming.

The new firmware program ver.1.1 will be available worldwide from the beginning of October at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/.

The power zoom lenses can be used with DMC-GH2, DMC-G3, DMC-GF3 or DMC-GF2 if the firmware is not updated. However, Panasonic recommends all users to update

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • According to recent interview it is possible that GH2 users also will see 25p.
  • Panasonic should give us 50p at 1080p to maintain GH2's competitiveness against the new Sony cams w AVCHD2.0 before GH3 rolled out. But again, it's Panasonic... it "may" just spare us a 25p...
  • From my point of view, it would be kind of miracle even if they give us 25p! :)
  • @Vitaliy to adapt ptool to any new firmware, it's a lot of work, right ? Would you have to dump again ? Does your "dumping GH2" could be used again for that purpose ?
  • let's hope they will make as easy as possible to continue work on next changes around hack.. I think they are really impressed by Vitaliy's work on Panasonic micro4/3 cameras..
  • The big question, is it going to block the hack?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev No to blocking the hack? Fab!!!
  • It's seem that your are in contact with Panasonic...Please Vitaliy can you talk to them about Composite Out... LOL
    Thanks !
  • >It's seem that your are in contact with Panasonic...

I am in contact with Panasonic press release.
    I really wanted to talk with it, but dumb paper do not respond. :-)
  • @Vitaliy
    I know people who after the LSD talking to the previous incarnations of the paper. To the trees. I am glad that you did not;-)
  • Will it have the menu option that was removed after v0.8 (pre-release)? This was accessed via Extras > Other > Hidden > Beverage > Coffee > with the various options for sugar etc? We want to know. I'm getting my nozzles serviced in anticipation.
  • hey @Vitaliy_Kiselev, in regard to the new firmware supporting 25p would this mean that the 'new' code can be utilized to understand what is going on inside the GH2? Possibly allowing you to understand more about the camera? (Basically comparing the current firmware to the new firmware?)
  • I wish they support peaking feature...
  • now if only there was a leak.... c'mon moles ....
  • I wonder if the AF100 will get a firmware update.
  • The GF13 will be nice with the X 14-42, but if no new firmware, not sure it will be compatible, and if there is, I presume some work will be needed if V. wants to hack it ...
  • @Mark_the_Harp Yes, the hidden beverage menu will be moved out into the open now that they've worked out the kinks. I suspect they are also preparing the camera for compatibility with their new line of nozzles . . . although I'm not sure why you'd buy those, as it can use great vintage nozzles, which are cheaper and manual control.
  • @B3Guy
    "Yes, the hidden beverage menu will be moved out into the open"

yeah
    lets hope its a nice malt whiskey...
  • >I wish they support peaking feature...

+1
    but I doubt it :(
  • They should add manual controls in video mode to Lumix G3 also...just to throw the cat among the pidgeons ;-)
  • so 3 part question -
    1. "Display of the local length" does this mean we will get meaningfull focus numbers on any G lens (the 14-140) instead of just a man and a mountain picture?
    2. If currently hacked, can we get the official firmware update?
    3. Is a 1.1 hack forthcoming?
    4 (bonus) if i update to 1.1 can i go back to the 1.0 hack?
  • "Regarding the Panasonic Lumix GH2 Firmware Hacking: A firmware update may be coming for the GH2 to add support for 25p, and additional improvements in video abilities. If there are features you want adding, contact Panasonic and let them know. They are aware of the work the "hackers" are doing and are impressed with their work, but that they (Panasonic) need to test everything / confirm there are no problems before rolling out updates. He also said that the GH3 is not due imminently, as the GH2 is still extremely popular, but that there is a high end GF series camera in the works."

That is the biggest compliment hackers can get. I hope this guy has power over decisions as it would be awesome if Panasonic incorporated everything that we achieved with the hack in a new firmware build. Although I wonder how they will do that, as the footage will not comply with the AVCHD spec anymore but maybe they will make a lab/experimental setting or something in the menu that you can enable if you are expert.

Interesting developments for sure.
  • We'll still need a hack for disabling recording limits…
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions