Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • I wonder if the new movie mode will just be GOP = 1. That would be kind of funny if they just copied what the hacker’s did. Driftwood should definitely sue Panasonic for copy write infringement if that is the case.
  • NO 25p S#&%&%¤%&¤ . Most important thing for pal users.
  • So what do you think the new mystery "editable" movie mode will be?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11110715panasonicgh2fw.asp

1. 1080p @ 60 FPS
    2. 720p @ 60 FPS with I, P, and B frames
    3. 1080p @ 24 FPS with a color profile that is easily grade-able
    4. 1080p @ 24 FPS with I frames only
    5. 1080p @ 25 FPS
    6. MP4 movie mode

24 mb/sec just wouldn't be enough for I frames only. You wouldn't select 720p @ 60 FPS if you really were serious about video editing. Therefore, it must be a new color profile that is easily grade-able.

The High End AF100 has more color profiles and many more options. They must have just ported one of those color profiles over to the GH2.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Now all we need is 422 in that movie mode and wait for the 1TB SD cards - and that will be SWEET!
  • @mpgxsvcd
    So what do you think the new mystery "editable" movie mode will be?

mp4 - Look at GX1 spec at Panasonic website:
    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx1/specifications.html

GX1 have sensor output 25p GH2 50p. Question will the GH2 produce 25p sensor out in mp4 mode?

We'll see:-)
  • @mpgxsvcd

I think it may be just like what Vitaliy said, A new mp4 mode, maybe 24/25p @ 24 Mbps.
    1080p60 is not possible with 24 Mbps, AVCHD 2.0 uses 28 Mbps, at least in released models.
    I frames only mode is not possible too because of I frames store more data than P and B frames, it will just turn out to be heavily compressed video.

AVCHD is well-known of its complexity and incompatibility... a MP4 mode maybe is just what panasonic said.
  • Curious to check out how the "improved AF" and "improved NR" will perform
  • @alcomposer

My bad, didn't check it first :)

@mpgxsvcd
    Isn't video modes where you select between Manual Movie Mode, 24p Cinema and Variable Movie Mode? That excludes a color profile (film mode).
    Wait a minute: Video Mode?
    Argh, it's all semantics!
  • @Tomaso

Yes that looks right. It does look like a 1080p @ 24 or 25 FPS MP4 mode. The bit rate on the GX1 MP4 mode is higher than its AVC-HD counter part. I wonder what compression they are using for the MP4 mode? It can be almost anything, right?
  • Should be Rec Mode, actually if it's a codec ;)
  • After looking at those other links I do think it is a 1080p @ 25 FPS MP4 mode for PAL users and 24 FPS for NTSC. I am glad that PAL users will finally get what they want after waiting for 1 year.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    Yep, it sure would make editing easier for us in Europe.
  • I wonder how hackable this new MP4 mode will be? It might turn out to be less complicated than the AVC-HD modes?
  • I still guess that AVCHD 24p still will be available in both NTSC abd PAL region but 30p and 25p will show up in the new mp4 wrapper NTSC resp PAL regions.
    @Vitaliy My question still is - is it possible to change the sensor otput to 25p? If not we can only realy get 50p right?
  • @mpgxsvcd
    Yes but lets guess that the mp4 container is H.264 codec. Isn't that what most mp4 players support?
  • mp4 probably means no clip spanning, right? :(
  • I wonder if it will be 1080p @ 30 FPS or 1080p @ 24 FPS MP4 for NTSC cameras. I would love to have 1080p @ 30 FPS almost as much as you guys want 1080p @ 25 FPS. I am starting to like the sounds of this update more and more.

I just wonder how long I will have to go back down to 24 mb/sec for? I hope the new firmware can be hacked soon after it is released. It appears to have a lot of new features.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    >The High End AF100 has more color profiles and many more options. They must have just ported one of those color profiles over to the GH2.<

yes for sure - they want to sell so well no more A100
  • They're completely odd if they put their effort in a mp4 encoder. They know that the gh2 is being used also for professional works. Instead of lose time in these bullshits they really should provide us 25p and 4:2:2
  • typical press release - raising more questions than it answers!
  • @Butt

There are many more features(ND filter, Balanced Outputs, 1080p @ 60 FPS slow mo) on the AF100 that the GH2 doesn't have. If someone would seriously consider spending that much on the AF100 they probably want it for more than just the color profiles.

Adding a few profiles to the GH2 would help stop one of the biggest complaints against the GH2. Heck, these changes are significant enough that some sites like dpreview will probably re-review it. They have done that with most other significant firmware updates.

It would be huge for Panasonic to move the color profiles from the "negative" category to the "positive" category in a review.
  • >• New [HALF-PRESS RELEASE] function
    Do you think that means that HALF-PRESS RELEASE become a customizable function ? That would be nice, for example to change ISO with the thumwheel. That would allow in M mode to change ISO, shutter, aperture and focus assist without moving fingers out of 2 buttons
  • @Elenion

No such file as MP4 encoder exist, it is just container, similar to transport stream in MTS files.
  • Maybe they will be smart enough to add useful metadata with this new container...
  • I think "New [HALF-PRESS RELEASE] function" means Panasonic is only including half as much information the Press Release :)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions