Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • @mrbill

of course there is a gold standard (one for almost anything under the sun) but not every terrestrial station adheres to it as well!

If I were shooting for BBC, and I have, I wouldn't be looking at even a AF102 or FS100. Anyway, they both shoot below 50mbps, unless you record externally
  • 'If you sent them a mxf INTRA 100 (but GH2 INTRA hacked) wrapped file, I believe you would be able to fool most broadcasters - without mentioning it was shot on the GH2 of course but a $20k P2 camera or whatever.'

I reckon. Holding out for the 25p firmware before I sell my canons and spring for a GH2..
  • Firmware is coming out at the begining of december.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/panasonic-announces-gh2-firmware-upgrade-1038884

But no HDMI out for recording... :-(
  • Let's stop thinking about HDMI recording out of a camera for a few years. Maybe there's more than just a technical reason.

Meanwhile let's hope the price of SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card becomes dirt cheap.
  • ver. 1.1
    New video mode which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate(24Mbps)
    New functional option with Power Zoom Lens
    ([DISP FOCAL LENGTH (Display of Focal Length)], [STEP ZOOM], [ZOOM RESUME], [ZOOM SPEED] and [ZOOM RING]*)
    Full area enlargement of AF area setting
    Improvement in the speed of consecutive shooting when shot with auto bracket
    Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting
    [EX.TELE CONV. (Extra Tele Conversion)] can be set ON/OFF separately in photo or video recording
    More accurate light adjustment of built-in flash
    Improvement in the AF performance in video recording
    Synchronization of alarm volume for low battery with [BEEP VOLUME]
    New [HALF PRESS RELEASE] function
    Improved NR(Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting
    ON/OFF control of the touch-screen
    * Available with LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. only.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/info/update_gh2.html
  • "Improved NR(Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting"

I hope that means less noise reduction instead of more.
  • "Improved NR(Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting"

...or maybe eliminating the horizontal band that sometimes appears in high ISO shots.
  • @stonebat
    >Let's stop thinking about HDMI recording out of a camera for a few years. Maybe there's more than just a technical reason.

More reason as in the GH2 big half brother?

> Meanwhile let's hope the price of SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card becomes dirt cheap.

B&H $199? (I bought my 32Gig in Australia for $150... is 64 not already 'dirt cheap'?

Great if there could be more discussion in the http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports regarding the 64 gig card. As we need more investigation into this.

• @v10tdi that would be great.
  • @alcomposer

Not just the big half brother. HDMi wasn't created for open use... you know. Maybe the committee would wanna charge loyalty for recording.

16GB is only $24. I wanna see 64GB price below $100.
  • Panasonic sure is busy with its firmware updates... here on a AVCCam.

"When new firmware is installed on AG-AC160, it can capture and record onto SD memory cards (SDXC/SDHC/SD) in full HD progressive 1080/59.94p or 1080/50p format complying with AVCHD progressive standard. LPCM audio recording is also available while its format is AVCHD progressive." http://cinescopophilia.com/panasonic-ag-ac160-gets-avchd-progressive-firmware-update/

60/50p! on SD cards. Is the GH family next? One can dream. Hopefully waking up to 25p soon as a first step.
  • @TraumManufaktur

Actually this could be what 'Movie Mode for Editing' is?? (darn... actually I would love 60p - but need 25p!)

:-\

@stonebat

HDMI has legs... 3D + timecode rumblings...

64GB will one-day get below 1 cent - just wait! I have decided to stop waiting and be happy that 64 gig doesn't constitute Alien technology... :D
  • We humans sure are funny. I mean come on Panasonic aren't going to give us what we want, they are a business they do whatever is good for business, look at the FZ150, GH2 isn't going to get 25p there isn't going to be a GH3, all the features we want will be spread out over 3 cameras, it's business as usual. Get use to it and stop dreaming. Make the most of GH1/GH2 or invest in a bigger pro cam like the AF100 with features like Nano and SDI out and crank plus progressive or something from Sony and a 16mm setup. I'm almost done with Panasonic. Bullshit.
  • @rains considering that we only have to wait less than a week to find out what is in store...

Other than that personally the Scarlet X has tainted my view of all low end pro cameras... there is really no point any more resisting. Its either GH2 or Scarlet X for me... The AF100 is not that sassy looking anymore :.(
  • @alcomposer,

I hear ya I was just looking at the pro offerings from Panasonic there pretty good, i don't want much....24p progressive, gamma cine curves, 60p, audio jacks and SDI... 422 10bit be nice....thats it...how hard can it be hahah....i will have the GH1 and 2 for a while yet. What do you like about Scarlet X? the last big cameras i worked with were the P2 and super 16..pretty good the P2 material projects very well..this was years ago
  • @alcomposer

And why don't you like the AF100 now?
  • @alcomposer: Sort of. For me, there is only one low-end camera worth having: A Sony FS100! An awesome Super-35 sensor with a native ISO of 800 and big dynamic range. I don't care about no inbuilt ND filters (the Scarlet lacks them too anyway) and sure it is "only" 24mbit/s AVCHD... Until you add a Ninja and then you get 8-bit 4:2:2, which would make it very close to a Canon C300, for about a third of the price.

Oh and today it was announced there will be a firmware upgrade adding all frame rates to it.
  • GH2 kind of takes the cake for me... infinite choice of lenses... large sensor... $600... for everything else theres Mastercard. (ahem... Scarlet X).

Scarlet X takes off where GH2 stops... (Raw... High bit depth... High DR etc...)

Besides the Scarlet X is quite smallish anyway.

@Rains- its not that I don't like AF100, its that for me I would rather spend my cash on other things,.. and really 8 bit is 8 bit, so the AF100 isn't going to get that much better than the GH2.
  • I'm looking at the AG-HPX250 it's a beast, i'm really tired of worrying bout what i need next with this DSLR cash cow machine companies have created, this has it all, for me. This way i can mix in gh2 material to see how stupid the world really is because they won't be able to see past the TAG shot on "AG-HPX250"
  • @rains
    > i'm really tired of worrying bout what i need next with this DSLR cash cow machine companies have created

Can you explain? Apart from getting a few rails bits and pieces... shoulder mount etc... you would "STILL" need to work out some shoulder ENG style mount for the AG-HPX250! So in my calculations you would only save on a Follow Focus system and some 'nice glass'...

You needs the glass though... that AG-HPX250 an't going to get you a f1.4 depth of field...

If you are worried about the DSLR cash cow- check out @VK's deals- that man is a 'not human' in a good way!
  • mm yes i miss out on glass it's an addiction it needs to stop, ah to explain my cash cow statement.

Well first theres the glass, audio, photography and filmmaking specs they will never give DSLR cine specs because that affects the market with other pro products, it's simple really we are always talking about updates and waiting waiting speculation, with the HPX250 i'm not worried about anything depth of field will have to suffer...thats my thought...the HPX is 5k at the moment i would of spent over that very soon on glass!! alone.

With my GH1/2 kit i have rails, M/box legacy russian and german glass, beautiful, also have OM and lumix glass, tiffens, rode mic, i love it but it's to much gear and frankly people aren't progressive thinkers like us, people who can invest in my work want pro gear that is proven, a producer won't fund me using GH cams, they don't get it. maybe with lumix working with nat geo will help us but they still need to give us GH3 or 25p which i don't think will happen.
  • cash cow meant always a reason to buy something else, needing something else, companies love it. drug dealer mentality. come back and buy. GH1 GH2 GH3 and so on, why not GH2 with everything? because thats bad for business.
  • i secretly wish the a77 is better than the gh2 because of 24mgb stills....i confess....wish GH3 does 21mgb stills haha dream come true...
  • Then again, my view on photography is glass, technique/skill and location/condition so, i'm sorry GH2 i didn't mean what i said, I take it back.
  • I also want to add that not having the latitude with the GH's doesn't bother me at all, it puts emphasis on the shoot, the glass and filters screw on, or 4x4, i've noticed grading doesn't take as long anymore i can cut and work faster. If it's an autumn shoot/location i want to capture that flat and truthfully and we can with the GH's. A bit of sharpening, gamma, colour tweak and pro amp thats it, no more bullet for me. back to basics.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions