Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @Ralph_B thanks a lot! Is there any chance that spanning would work in 24H on the Sandisk 45 MB card? Is there a very big difference between 24H and 24L?

• @zsero

Sanity works with ordinary class 10 cards, so your Sandisk 45M should be fine. If you want 24P spanning, be sure to use the 24L setting.

With Sanity's efficiency, at 24L you're going to conservatively get 2 hours on a 32GB card, and probably more.

• Is Sanity 5.1 the best hack for documentary style 24p work, when I don't have budget for fast cards? I only have 2 x 32 GB Sandisk 45 MB/s card, and I would back them up to a laptop from time to time. Which spanning and diskspace-friendly hacks would you recommend?

• @Ralph_B

Glad you thought it was fun. We had a pretty pathetic approach for the camera setups. Nonetheless, the match was a blow out and the guy in blue won in straight sets. The rallies you saw were pretty much the most exciting parts of the match... if you can even call them rallies lol

• @Ralph B, he does! did you watch the whole video!

• @gottue

Your video was fun. I just wish you would have shown some points being played out in their entirety. After all, it IS a tennis match.

• Here's another video I wrapped up from our friends' tennis challenge. I apologize ahead of time @Ralph_B because this probably doesn't do your hack any justice haha. Anyways, enjoy as always and take my videos lightly because they're not the typical professional shots you're probably used to watching.

• @Ralph_B

Well, did some other tests with the GF3 and i confirm that on same scenes with same lenses (but unfortunately different parameters of course because i don't have manual control on the GF3) i get similar bitrates with SANITY 5.1 on GF3 25p FSH (Europe zone, and of course no 24p with GF3) than the ones from SANITY 5.1 on the GH2 in 24H. Would be great to have manual controls on these small GF2, 3, 5...

I will try to link with some videos of the test.

GF3 is not so sharp than GH2 so it needs a bit more tweaking with sharpness parameter +2 and I-res Extended to recover some crispness i think (to my taste), but so far i'm quite happy with the results.

• @Ralph_B

Be careful, it's GF3, not GH3 of course (not yet!)

• @jlduh

That's great, congratulations! I don't have a GH3, so this is all news to me.

• @Ralph_B and @VinarkGF2

Well, i found (after 3 hours of fiddling) why I couldn't update the GF3 firmware with a hacked one with the SANITY settings. In fact in the section "Increment" that was checked/enabled of course, the default value of 1 seemed to be insufficient to get the update menu and process in the camera (but i never got any problem on my GH2 with the same settings... mystery for me ???). I changed 1 to 5 (randomly chosen) and it worked directly! Don't know why, but it works, this info can help some others maybe...

So now i have the sanity 5.1 patch in the GF3 and like VinarkGF2 on his GF2, it seems to work very well with the GF3. I was able this afternoon to get bitrates of 35 Kbits/s on some shots (i was not trying to push the bitrate to any maximum with specific scenes, just filming some stuff with a bit of foliage and water).

I shot tonight my TV screen (CRT) with the 14-42X on both the GH2 and then the GF3, both with Sanity 5.1 hack installed, and i obtained bitrates very similar; GF3 gave me a maximum around 40 Kbit/s. Nothing very scientific but at least it seems the GH2 patch works for the GF3, don't know if it is optimum of course but the result looked good so far...

• It seemed to work fine on my GF2, much better image quality. Since then I have sold it (first reverting back to original firmware of course) so I can´t help any more.

• @jlduh

Sanity is designed only for the GH2. It won't work with other cameras, Sorry.

• Thanks Ralph_B for the answers, i will try cineform codecs...

An other question, i just got a GF3 in addition to my GH2 and i would like to use your settings (SANITY 5.1) with this GF3: is it possible? I didn't find anything in the (small) section on GF3 stable settings concerning SANITY, i tried to use the SANITY 5.1 ini file designed for the GH2 but i cannot manage to update the firmware in my GF3 (the bin saved as GF3__V13.bin is not recognized as an update...). I don't know what is going wrong. I'm using ptool 3.66 and i'm loading the firmware GF3--V12.bin in it, then selecting your SANITY 5.1 settings (labeled for GH2 though, maybe it's the problem?).

• @Ralph_B why does your patch span for me in 24L but not 24H? I had one of driftwoods patches span on my card with bitrates at 10mb/s. Clearly bitrate isnt everything but I was hoping you might have some ideas.

Rephrase: Since bitrate isn't whats limiting my ability to span with your patch. What am I missing?

• @mee they are! thanks for the feedback

• Sanity 5.1 update: Spanning works in 24L, FH, SH & H modes.

@Ralph_B The above is why I thought it would work. I'll give the 24L a shot, thanks!

• @omnidecay

If you read the patch notes, you'll see that 24H is not listed for spanning. This is because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you want reliable spanning, use 24L. The difference in picture quality is practically imperceptible.

• Spanning in 24H did not work for me with SanDisk 30mb/s. Although it was around 18.5min with avg bitrate of 32500.

edit: I ran it through again and spanning worked this time. Hmmm...

• @Moviemaker

Sorry, I don't use a Mac.

The Private folder has nothing to do with the hacks - it's part of the standard file structure for AVCHD.

• Ralph, Sanity (and many other hacks) create a large 'Private' file which somehow contains all of the clips. If I insert an SD card with these clips into the computer (Mac), Adobe Bridge will allow me to rename the clips upon import/copy. However, if I've copied the Card to a directory on a hard disk and no longer have the footage on that card, I can't find any way to batch rename all of the files. I can't do it in adobe bridge nor once I import the footage in premiere. Any ideas? I've tried the google to no avail.

• @ jlduh

Yes, Cineform Studio is what I was refering to. But you don't actually use it to transcode MTS files. You see, when you install Cineform Studio, it also installs the Cineform codec on your machine. That codec is available to use inside Premiere. So, you do the transcoding in Premiere. In the Export settings, set the Format to 'Microsoft AVI'. Then click on the 'Video Codec' popup and you'll see GoPro-Cineform Codec in the list.

But, I repeat, if your MTS files play smoothly in Premiere, there is no need to transcode.

• Hi Ralph_B and thanks for the answer. Also congratulations for your great settings!

So no real clear relationship between bitrate/compression process and fluidity decoding MTS in Premiere...

Could you precise a little bit the "cineform" alternative?

Are you talking about this software: http://fr.gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/ ?

because this doesn't recognize MTS it seems...

But maybe i missed the details of how to do the "cineform transcoding" for use in Premiere Win7?

• @jlduh

Although you ask an innocent question, it's impossible to answer it because everybody's computer is different. The only way for you to know is to run your own tests. In my experience, Premiere CS plays MTS files smoothly, but that's only my experience on the machines I have used.

I don't recommend trancoding to another codec if there's no reason to do so. But if there is a reason, I've found that Cineform has the best playback performance. And it's now free.

• @lmackreath I really love that - joyous, and great use of music. I love what you did at the end, and also the way you revealed the title.