Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @Ralph_B Thanks a lot for your settings, I've had Sanity 5 on my 2 GH2's without problems, works better than stock! I wanted to update to Sanity 5.1 but was wondering if this settings include the Pasadena Pulse Audio hack. I know the settings I currently use mix Sanity 5 with this settings. If not, is there a way to merge them?

Thanks again and keep up the excelent work!

• Here's a screen grab from my promo shoot in the Keys with Sanity 5.1. Saw this at sunset and couldn't believe it! Shot with the 20mm 1.7 at I believe 640 ISO wide open and straight from 5DtoRGB. Looks like a damn Corona Ad!

Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 12.04.49 PM.png
    1036 x 555 - 622K
  • delete

• delete

• @tcarretti The lens looks real good. Look forward to seeing more footage!

• Here's a few shots of Sanity 5.1 (just loaded it yesterday...) while testing my new SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 Cine lens.

So far, I love BOTH the lens AND the new Patch. Thanks again @Ralph_B for your efforts in perfecting this very economical and quality patch!

Tony

• Hey Ralph_B, first thanks for the compliments, second I misspoke, this was still with Sanity 5 as it's still from the first day of the event. I do have 5.1 stuff coming. As for Lens, it was a Nokton 17.5mm F0.95, and settings were 0000. around 4k color temp, and a slight shift to red and yellow? Also I wasn't worried about the bitrate, but it makes sense since I was shooting at F.95 most the day, so their would obviously be less information.

• @mee Just watched your video - great stuff and a real showcase for Sanity. I like how you nailed the sharpness. What lens and sharpness setting did you use?

• @mee Sanity 5's bitrate is totally dependent on the content. It doesn't use any more bits than it needs. There is no waste in Sanity. So yes, sometimes the bitrate can be quite low, but don't let that fool you - the quality is always there.

• @peternap , Thanks, I always enjoy boosts to my ego ;) This is the second video from day 1 of the event. It's not quite done, and the music needs to be completely redone as it sucks and I gave up half way through. I just realized I have too much on my plate for the weekend, and most of next week, so rather than leaving everyone waiting for more cute girls I figured I would play what the people want (cute anime girls). You may be well advised to turn off the volume and play your favorite anime theme song.

@Ralph_B , I shot this with Sanity 5.1. Is it just me or does it use much less card?

• @Moviemaker In a word, no. Vitaliy's hack enables us to alter the H264 compression. It does not effect things further upstream.

• @Ralph_B To clarify my previous query. From what I understand, regular video mode crops and downsamples the sensor to 1920X1080P. ETC uses the center part of the sensor for the same pixels (about 2MP per frame) However, is there a way to get the uncompressed full 16MP 4X3 frame in AVCHD video mode for downsampling or cropping in post?

• The following video was shot with Sanity 4. 30p, 24p, and 60p modes were used..

Thanks for watching..

• @Rambo It was indeed the frame limit, which was set too high.

@driftwood Thanks for your interest. I haven't noticed any skewing of the B frames. As far as the 50fps FB2 buffer size, I remember setting that way back for stability in PAL (which was a real bitch to obtain with HBR in the mix). Since everything seems to be working, I'm not too keen to change it.

• @Rambo Could be Frame Limits. I also suspect that the problem may also be in wrong shutter increments or a change of shutter during record. If you check streamparser or elecard, if odd B frame pairs are high sized and the even B frames are low this demonstrates a skew problem in shutter speed on the charts. I always recommend you stay in the correct shutter increments according to the fps record mode - like 25p (50 ss/100ss etc) and 30p (30, 60ss etc ) else you will see offset in bitrate employed in motion prediction on one side of the B frames. This doesnt happen in 3 GOP and Intra. This shouldn't really happen but its inherrent in Long GOP.

@Ralph_B Why not adjust your 50/60fps FB2's Frame buffer sizes, 50fps is normally higher than 60fps.

• Ralph, can you throw some light on what caused it?

• @peternap

Yes, I never had it too, until last week. The point is it can strike without warning, and you don't know it's happened until you playback the footage. There's no indication anything's wrong while you're shooting.

• @Ralph_B I've never had that breakup problem but thanks for addressing it. I'll load up in a little.

• @mee I always enjoy your video's mee and they keep getting better!

• Thanks Ralph. I've always wondered what's the relation between the Ptool and all these different settings, I mean if VK's improvement affects also yours and others works. I can't wait to try 5.1. I have used Sanity 5.0 for 6 months, usually for 1 & half hour interviews, never failed and I'm very happy with the quality of the pictures. Thanks for your work, very appreciated

• @Giovassi

I used 3.64d, but the current version should work. Somebody corrrect me if I'm wrong.

• @Ralph_B What PTool can we use, VK's last one is fine? Thanks

• @Ralph_B I also read this, and was aware of it as I took some stills and videos of the sunset and city scape, I haven't looked at them much yet, but I will soon. Though I really need to get out a pen and paper next time and right down Fstops while I do it. Glad you enjoyed the video.

• After shooting more with Sanity 5.1, I'm pleased to say there is also a slight increase in image quality. Fine detail is as good as it gets. And noise in the picture is rendered exceptionally clean.