Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias Thanks for the reply. So far I believe @driftwood Sedna A AQ1 is the closest in capturing the detail lost during compression. This is REAL important, especially representing fine detail such as sensor noise.
    First of all the finer (true to istelf) mist like noise allows us to more accurately removing it in post.

When we're dealing with noise reduction to remove noise that's swarming around with large macroblocks, post NR ends up destroying the details and we end up with plastic looking images (less detail) with swarming macroblocks in the shadows.

• Mark_the_Harp:

Yes.... lol... I think i write in future with my own word´s.. ;)

• Quick Question, I have my camera loaded with Mysteron and I want to give a try to Sedna C AQ1, wich version of Ptools should I use? Thanks.

• @Mark-the_Harp OMG

@aceman Send me a PM

• Google translate?

• I know with all the patching and certainly not what should I choose for 24p ..... I unfortunately do not have time to read everything in peace ... and my mother tongue is German.

Does anyone have a parallel to the thread in German hands?

• Does anyone know if the Sedna burst mode settings also work in the 300% speed up mode ?

It would be cool for time lapse mode with max details and large frame sizes

• Tested Sedna AQ1 setC on GF2 and GF3, they both work well with Sedna. also tested q20 and worked just fine also. 1080 NTSC

• @stray I'll pm you so we keep transcode discussion out of the patch's topic

• @nomad Yes, that is pretty much where I am at.

• Sedna C is nice for portrait, but A is my favorite for architecture or landscape.

• @flaschus The plan had been to do use Sedna AQ1 A, but I would be happy to test Sedna AQ1 C instead if that is everyone's preference.

• @thepalalias

is golgop3 w/sedna C on ur list to test?

or anything sedna C?

In this filmmaker's opinion, sedna C is the BOMBBBBBBBBB and wins already..

• Sounds like there should be a new thread specific to driftwood with transcoding if the threads relating to transcoding aren't sufficient.

• @ProAudio4 Thanks for the testing. I wish I saw more posts like that and look forward to examining it when I am home on a better screen.

As for the other thread - given the huge number of posts today, it seems like there may be a call for another workflow thread on transcoding in addition to the ones already there. I hope someone starts one soon and that people learn a lot from it.

When I logged on today, there were over 40 new posts on workflow and I had to read through most of them to get to ProAudio4 and his test. I say that not as a criticism of the discussion, but merely as a statement that it seems to have a life of its own and given that these threads are already so active they close within what feels like a week or less, I think there will be too many posts for people to keep up with if they are both in the same thread. :)

As far as testing, I am doing some unscientific Mysteron vs Sedna shooting tonight and hope to do some more scientific surveys of the settings suggested earlier on Monday.

Once again: last call for non-Driftwood settings suggestions for the Monday test.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend: I am getting to see friends I have not for 8 years! :)

• @onionbrain This is on a PC running Adobe Premiere CS 5.5

Edit: should I transcode to another format for use in Premiere CS 5.5? So far I have only used the video files from the sd card directly.

• @bwhitz, I've had the exact same issue. Threw .mts files directly into Premiere/After Effects, played with curves, saw the degraded image quality, converted with 5DtoRGB, carried on with things. I was seeing blockiness and weird color glitches that I've never gotten from transcoded prores files. CS5.5 for both AE/Premiere.

Use what you like but some of us DO see a measurable difference.

• @pinger007 There's a need for sarcasm -- it pleasantly covers up what I'm really thinking.

@PiotrJ I think this issue was determined to be a transcoding issue for Mac users. If you're not on a Mac -- then I don't know.

@bwhitz Well, your results are unique. Did you reach this verdict by looking at the preview files in Premiere, or did you render out with proper settings? Did you use the scopes for evaluations? I could go on -- but -- I can sum it all up by saying that your results are unique. As I said in a previous post -- if you like it -- stick with it and enjoy. Transcoding is fun -- it gives you time to do other stuff.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev February 15

PTool will be available to core team within hours.

Other important thing is that from now on usage of word "patches" to describe PTool settings will be prohibited. They'll referred as "settings" only.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/50/official-gh2-stalin-hack-development-topic/p2

• @pinger007 for the latest "setting"... @PiotrJ after applying "settings"

@All Dont use the words hack or patch, use settings.

• @Onionbrain Well, I won't post it here... but I just did a quick test with Mysteron... and color grading the files directly in Premier led to much more degradation than the 5DtoRB workflow. More macro-blocking in Premire. Brought up more noise as well. 5DtoRGB keeps the nice film-like grain the GH2 produces intact... native Premier grading led to it becoming blocky digital noise again.

I'll put into the other thread later this weekend after I shoot some stuff tonight...

• Has anyone ever noticed that all clips have the first 4 (or 5) frames completely silent? I've reset the camera after applying patches so I'm not sure what could be causing this or if this is a known issue.

• No need for sarcasm...

There's a thread for 5DtoRGB in this forum which was heavily discussed before you joined in december. There's also several threads at eyepatch films to name a few. Kholi did an excellent job testing the program several months ago with driftwood patches, and his tests can be found here, as well a on his website campcomet.com.

My original point was that we should keep this thread focused. It's inefficient to check for the latest patch updates and see that there's 47 new posts, only to find that they are all off topic.

Just my two cents. If no one agrees, then I'll let it go.

Thanks.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions