Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood I checked the setting "Boom!" Recording in 720p lines and contours as well jump as well as in other settings, except for "sharp2". Give me any video where the contours and lines, which were used settings except "sharp2". I'll prove to you that this is not fiction.

• @driftwood or anybody. Any suggestions as what to try if I wanted to get BOOM slightly softer?

• @Shon Im in Madrid on a connector to Chile on iphone so cant look at things till tomoz. Can u load Boom and uncheck/or copy the deblocking settings from Sharp2 and give that a whirl and see if it fixes the problem. Adios!

@Jspatz Up the matrix from 4s (404s) to lower values (255 is lowest) or wait till I provide some softer variations very soon. .

• Thanks guys for the work, looks much improved. Will finally want to make me upgrade from GH1 and start on the GH2. Some of the "digital green" is still there and this is most likely caused by uneven luminance/chrominance ratio in the sensor. I highly suggest testing even a low density magenta filter now, like CC10M or CC20M. It will do three things,

1 It will balance the luminance/chrominance ratio for the sensor (Individual color channels are -1 f-stop in the sensor compared to luminance or green)

2 It will lift shadows without diffusion effect

3 It will boost color saturation and thus force encoder to use more bits for chroma

It is always less destructive in post to de-saturate than to saturate. Looks really good now.

• @driftwood Now take the three settings. Boom!, Drewnet v7 444 sharp2, drewnet v7 444 soft. Thin lines are jumping on the "drewnet v7 444 soft" and jump to "Boom!" On tuning "sharp2" all is well. In adjustment "Boom!" deblocking is off, but the lines are jumping. http://s019.radikal.ru/i616/1209/af/8b5cc8ae292f.png I do not want to distract you, you deserve a vacation, I want to point out a problem that exists.

• This hack looks very nice, great work wow !

One question:

• Is it possible to get such a hack with lower mbit for the hobby user who dont want big files ?

I did test the soft version and it has around 88mbs, if Iam not wrong...is it possible to see 444 soft with similar mbs like the vanilla 40-45mbs hack ? i.e. cbrandin44mAQ4

Thx

• @alphonse I do not think you get the most out of the matrix if you to a particularly low bitrate, but did you try using 24L?

Personally, if I want really low bitrates, I look for settings designed around matrices that do well with less data. You can decide for yourself what you like, of course, but there are several options like Sanity 4.1 or Sanity 5 (even lower bitrate) and some people like "Natural" and then there is "No Adverse Effects"...

Anyway, with too low a bitrate on a high detail matrix, you might get some unexpected artifacts if the scene detail gets too high. But you can always try, and see. :)

• NEW!!!

I released 3rd candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate3 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 11/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84152#Comment_84152

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• Just playing around with the Apocalypse Now Drew soft

• @all and developer

cbrandin44mAQ4+ Nebula 444 soft 6 GOP (44mb/s)

Since I would love to have less sharpening with panasonic lenses but aswell less mb/s for smaller files, I did combine the cbrandin44mAQ4 hack + Nebula 444 soft.

I had no problems so far with recording and on my TV it did look quiete nice, but maybe some of the developer or more expirienced ones here could have a look at this hack file to be sure I dont mess something up...please. I just did overwrite the settings in Nebula 444 soft 6 GOP with the available settings in cbrandin44mAQ4.

Thank you

setd.ini
  • @driftwood Thank you so much, the Boom intra settings are beautiful. Just managed to play a little with an FD 50, FD 85 and an SLR Magic 12 lenses and the footage looks fantastic. I can see no banding anywhere, renders lovely detail, and the normally horribly noisy red channel looks great! Standard 0-0-0 -2 used it handheld, on a slider and on a tripod. Works with crappy Transcend class 10 cards (both 16GB and 32). Thanks again, can't wait to get to use this on a nice project!

• Getting confused by all of the lovely new AN settings! Are there any Intra settings publicly available with the 444 soft matrix?

• @Sangye No, but I believe it is getting released soon. The only intra setting right now is "Boom!", which uses a matrix by driftwood. Produces lovely results, by the way :)

• @mlysbakken I do like Boom, but there's something magical about the 444 Smooth matrix. Nebula 444 Soft is my current favorite, but I'm really looking forward to an Intra variation.

• NEW!!!

I released 4th candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate4 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 12/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84273#Comment_84273

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

@MisterBink

Many thanks for your report! I am glad if you were satisfied. :-)

• I played with Boom some tonight and I think AN Drewnet soft handles low light colors better. 14-140 lens standard -2

dinner.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • My footage is very noisy in lowlight If I shoot something like peternaps grab, I get banding and lots of noise. I was told to look at the time left on a card to determine if ou have h hack installed. I shw 14 minutes on a 16 gb sans disk 95 mb. I'm using nikkor ais lenses. My panny 14-42 is even noisier.

• @Cinexa Download Stream Parser. If you have Boom loaded, it should look something like this.

stream.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 773K
  • Is boom safe enough for a feature shoot at 24p?

• First test with AN Boom was amazing yesterday. And rock solid with the 95mb/s 64GB Sandisk. In camera playback included!

Uploading a serious test this week.

Definetly AN is a game changing.

• The new Patch : Boom by Driftwood is very very Boom!

Thank you Driftwood!!

• NEW!!!

I released 5th candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate5 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 12/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84396#Comment_84396

• @peternap - According to the StreamParser screenshot you posted it looks like Boom is going into fallback mode.

• @cbrandin what is fallback mode?

• @maddx1930 - It happens when the codec runs out of bandwidth and has to use the fallback matrix, resulting in significantly reduced quality - not something you want to have happen. When bitrate (or frame size) suddenly drops a lot, that usually means that fallback mode has kicked in.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions