Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2 nope its was smooth -2 haha

• @deshondixon Lol. Smooth - wow - interesting. Reminded me of footage others shot on different patch/settings but with standard. Will have to do some test shooting soon will all these great new patches/settings. Great work - keep rocking.

• @DeShonDixon - great skate video. I like the imperfect athlete feeling. Very fun. Did you mix 60p with 24p?

• @bheath Thanks! Yeah I did mix 60p with 24p

• I just noticed, i can not recall any thread with as many different settings in it. Kinda hard to keep an overview on my quest for my best setting.

I really liked AN gop6 nebula soft. Just from the colors something felt a bit weird. I think mostly the "greens".

Flowmotion 2.02 was tossed into the ring: a great setting, great allround, very reliable. Still what AN Boom or Valkyrie type zero gives me, appeals a bit more to my eye.

Valkyrie type zero: great setting, looks very nice, but the files are the same size as AN BOOM! which is all intra.

AN BOOM!: Really a marvellous setting. Just cant figure out, why it is supposed to rather not be good for wide shots. The only bummer with this setting is the file size.

Would be outstanding to have the reliability and file size of flowmotion with the image quality and file size of BOOM! or type zero. But thats probably like askin for a ferrari at the price of a lada. Dont get me wrong, i am not complaining, its wonderful to have so many motivated and gifted people here, I just start feeling that i dont know what to use anymore... :-)

• All, I've been away for a bit and just got around to trying 'Apocalypse Now' . Since I needed readability for a wedding shoot, I loaded Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 seti

Is it just me, or is 'Apocalypse Now' a major improvement in image quality? I've been holding on to Sedna AQ1 for a while, which really does look good.

There's a whole new look that's no longer a signature of the GH2 (granted the GH2 signature is good), but the image really seems very close to a film look and without the sparkling artifacts that scream video.

I'm actually blown away with the smooth color graduations and warm professional look.

• @artiswar Was that shot using AN Boom! 24H? Simply amazing quality.

• @proaudio4 - That was "Boom!" On the Panny 14-140 to boot. And yes, 24H

• @DeShonDixon, love your video man...

• @Mirrorkisser With BOOM!, the only reason why I warn against wide hi detail shots is the possible increase in the range of quantisation dc values - on average wide shots I have looked at in France I was getting between 5-8 (if the bitrate climbs to the ceiling of 145+mbps the range will possibly go even higher), on average mid to tight shots - facial / less detail - they are much closer. Just be aware as I haven't had time to do any extensive wide testing. From what Ive seen so far with you guys, things look very good. And very filmic.

I want to remind people that Cluster v6 settings are still some of the most reliable settings ever seen on the GH2 in my opinion and produce very tight dc ranges fed by a rate control of Q16 whilst keeping the bitrate low.

I am preparing to go to Chile tomorrow so will be on and off here from a distance for two weeks - I'm filming footage for the International version of my film, 'The First Raindrop, The Last Teardrop'. I will also be uploading Intravenus and its 'Soft 444 matrix' of Chris Brandin's hopefully before I leave.

Over the next two weeks, or if I get time sooner, I will also be uploading an experimental Cluster v8 with Boom!

• @driftwood: cheers for your reply. Indeed cluster v6 is a great setting, i shot my whole trip to the baltics on it. Very reliable and very good looks.

If i may ask: Whats your recommendation right now for a filmic/cinematic allround setting?

Have a great trip to Chile and good luck with your shooting. If you ever manage to give me a BOOM! look at cluster sizes and reliability i will build you a monument!! Tata

• @driftwood Boom looks amazing!,.. Thank You!

• Well, I think I can ignore the don't go wide with Boom warning. I played with it all day, in intense sunlight and as Onionbrain said, the colors are amazing. The detail is amazing. It even behaved fairly well in 720p. Mayweed always over saturates yellow. It was pretty good in Boom though.

I did these grabs in standard -2 with a 14-140 lens

farm1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    farm2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    farm3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    farm4.png
    1280 x 720 - 769K
    farm5.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    farm6.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    farm7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @jrd Not many do use iA or iDynamic but some people want everything.

• I shot a wedding yesterday using Driftwood Cluster v7 Apocalypse Now 6 GOP Nebula 444 seti I have not color corrected, but I like the almost stylized look right out of the camera.

I certainly need to try Boom! I was surprised on the quality from this 6 GOP!

Lumix 20mm @ ~ f2.0 or maybe a tad more closed.

IMG F Driftwood Cluster v7 Apocalypse Now 6 GOP Nebula 444 seti.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @driftwood - Blowing me away here sir. This shit is simply incredible.

Test shot from a shoot today near the (not so) Mighty Rio Grande. Scoping locations for a short.

Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 9.27.45 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M
  • @bangkng Real nice man... but now I'm hungry!

• Yes, maybe I'm late to the table, but highlights certainly seem to roll off better, especially with "smooth".

• Hi Guys, I just tested today this amazing hack (Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now - DREWnet' 12/15 GOP Settings - soft) but I think for me the bitrates are too high - for the work I do now I really need in-camera playback (my Transcend 32gb Class 10 only showed a few seconds and had a lot of reading errors) and more lean files (this card with the hack only records 44min). But I loved the color render, the better highlights and the audio hack. Can I lower the bitrate to, lets say, 44mbits or something, get smaller files, camera playback and still retain these other amazing features? Thank you very much for this!

• @TiagoMorena Try the L modes and report back.

• Is BOOM coming also setup for HBR/FSH and 720p ?

• @bkmcwd - Shot all day in the stark midday sun (South African sun mind you) with Valkyrie soft, high contrast shooting, standard 14-40 Panny lens. Results were superb. Going to edit, push the grade and post soon. Shadows look great, able to bring up info with little to no noise in dark areas. Great job there

• BOOM is astonishing.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions