Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin You could always use Render As in Vegas (as mentioned above) and output to any number of uncompressed formats.

Best of luck with whichever program you use. :)

• [friday night quote] Thank you guys very much for pushing further and further. Your effort is pulling all kinds of talented people in here that turned this place from a specialized platform about hacking panasonic cams into something that goes much further. This makes me very, very happy. Rock on!!! [/friday night quote]

• @Blaisejadoul >37 mins in 24p or HBR? in HBR my longest recordings were always around 25-28mins before they stopped. During the interview I stopped the cam three times after around 8-10mins to be sure it wouIdn't stop recording by itself. Regarding HBR issue...just went back a couple of pages to find the "warning" from @cbrandin. Fortunately I haven't had any hard edges in the shot that could have caused that problem discussed so I didn't notice. Next week, the shoots will be more demanding so I might have to change my approach to getting 25p then...

To all PAL shooters - suggestions very welcome ;)

• @thepalalias - I figured out the best way to do it (Vegas 64-bit doesn't support stills rendering). If I use the send snapshot to clipboard it sends a bitmap (uncompressed) to the clipboard. Then I can paste it into Photoshop in any format I want.

• @Tobsen I suggest to record, cut and grade everything in 24 FPS and speedup the final render to 25 FPS. To avoid pitch shifting there are free options like virtualdub.

In an interview situation I would communicate in advance that once in a while you need to adjust settings, so nobody will be upset if you call in a 5 sec break every 10 minutes.

• @Meierhans read that before. If I find the time over the weekend I will test that. Just don't like the idea of adding more steps to the workflow...

Still, thanks for the advice!

That interview made it easy to stop once in a while.

• Its not a big problem, you can send all previews with TC in 24p to your client and just speedup your final delivery. Nobody will ever notice. It takes about 1-20 minutes depending on cliplenght to do the audio timestretch. If it takes more than 5... thats the perfect moment to get some coffee. ;-)

• @Cbrandin As long as the display resolution is 1:1, that is fine and you need look no further. :)

Just remember to set your project properties to 32-bit Full Range Gamma 2.222 to get the closest to the original, as any non-full range ones will of course output with video levels instead (which may be an issue, depending on what you are comparing). I have uploaded a lot of videos that were edited in 8-bit mode (which in btoh Vegas Pro and Platinum uses video levels instead of full-range) instead because I was not testing dynamic range.

Personally, I just keep the 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed for the AAF support in the 32-bit version, so if the 64-bit one does not support rendering an image sequence, you can do so with the 32-bit one.

• @Meierhans coffee is always good ;)

• @Meierhans It seems Virtualdub is Windows only. Do you know a mac alternative you could recommend?

• We are getting offtopic here. You can use cinematools to alter fps, then use audacity for stretching the audio, then remux. Adobe sound products can do the same even better. However bootcamp or parallels would be easier in this case. Dunno about out of the box solutions for OSX. Ok.. back to topic!

• Thanks! Yep, back to topic.

• @bkmcwd The image quality on that sunset shot with power lines looks great. (The sample of "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO1") I will have to try this setting. Will test with both Lomo lenses and Panny 14-140. Thanks for all your work. You've got a really smooth image here - impressive stuff! How are you finding in-camera playback?

• @cbrandin "In Vegas, the PNG files are compressed."

In ALL programs, PNG files are compressed. But it's lossless compression, so no degradation or artifacts will be introduced by the PNG compression. They're quite acceptable for this purpose.

• @Jim_Simon The one caveat being "as long as it is doing full 8-bit". I have not looked at whether Vegas supports 256 color or B&W PNGs but those would obviously throw away information.

But yes, thanks for emphasizing the point I was trying to make earlier: PNG 8-bit compression is lossless.

• An extreme test. As long as I was in the city I spent some time around the RIR raceway. Rough area and a lot of extremes in lighting and color.

AN soft

Samyang 7.5

Samyang 85mm

race1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    race2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    race3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I ran some more tests with the DREWnet/Soft version of the patch.

One shot (at 24H) was a close up of a child splashing around in the pool. Doing some pixel peeping, I saw not one artifact, not one instance of macroblocking, despite the abundance of water droplets flying around at high speed. Every frame was pristine, artifact free and very film-like. This is sooooo much better than mere "AVCHD".

I can also report no errors at any off-speeed; 80%, 200% and 300% all worked fine.

Clips spanned just fine at 24H using a SanDisk Extreme 64 GB 95MB/s card. I tested this in full auto mode (P) in EX Tele, aimed at the children swimming, which afforded a lot of motion. There were no errors at all during recording. The spanned clips came into Premiere Pro CS6 without issue, and played back quite snappy without evidencing the 'spanned clips bug' so many others see in CS6.

• HBR 30fps "Nebula 444 soft" for some reason im getting this strange jumpiness around the edges of the building and several other objects in the shot every sixth frame if someone explains to me how i can upload the original MTS file i will upload it.

• various apocalypse now settings used - boom for the stuff at the end , although its a heavily compressed mpeg4 version so tbh doesn't really show what its like.... when i get round to it il do a proper film and render it proper , u still get a flavour this way though...

• Well this is a fine how do you do....AN Cluster v7 GOP 6, 444 Soft DOES span in 24L mode. I recorded for about 40min and it made three files the 4 gb files were just under 13 min each. This was on the same 32gb Transcend Class 10 card that the DREWnet version failed to span on.

Also, while I can't remember the exact times of the DREWnet clips, I think AN GOP6 recorded longer times on it's files.

EDIT: Just checked my last post and DREWnet recorded just over 12min, vs just under 13min for AN Cluster V7 Soft, I recorded similar images but not the same exact framing so that could also account for data rate differences, but GOP6 was better for me than DREWnet version. I'm going to try and shoot a spec commercial tomorrow and I'll see how it holds up.

• Postcard/s from France (Chalais Market) using Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' Flat 4 matrix Intra. This setting visually reminds me of using classic film stock. Voight 0.95 25mm.

AN Boom! 1 Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 11.22.24.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    AN Boom! 2 Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 11.23.22.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • Driftwood, hope you're enjoying my country!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions