Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood, just SPURB...!!

• @bkmcwd

I used "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO1 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix'" 24H mode.

Thanks for amazing quality settings and your hard work!

*FILM MODE is NOS.(-2,0,+1,-2) and the lens is LUMIX X PZ45-175mm

*SANDISK Extreme SDXC UHS-I (45MB/s) 64GB

• @har_k

Many thanks for your beautiful sample footage, mate! Does it look beautifully also in compressive severe YouTube? Let's do our best also about the matrix of HBR! :-)

• @bkmcwd

Maybe YouTube also used this '444 matrices' :-) 

• Come on guy's, grow up. This is not the "who has the longest dick competition". I think each of you has an equal share of enthusiast followers. It's not a cult it's a group of users who want the best settings, and probably have no idea what the hell you are, technically, talking about but are keen to listen to whatever information you give them in order for them to decide what patch to use. And after swapping patches week after week, at some point one would like to make an informed choice; witch patch to stick to. I choose reacquainted because in the personal-view demo most of the shots I like were shot with this patch. I hear a lot of people say good things about flow motion, so that is probably a good patch too. But no need for me to try. And since I see apocalypse now as an upgrade of the patch I was using, i tried that one and I like it. I didn't crash so far and the results are great. So what the hell do I need all the technical mumbo jumbo for. As long as you guys understand it and use it to make those patches I am a happy chappy and glad I donated $ 20. I will donate again, and you can decide how to split it. So to all of you: respect for what you are doing, please stick to your own thread, respect each others efforts and let anyone else decide what patch they want to use, for whatever reason. Cheers

• driftwood Can these settings work on gf2

• @abusaifo No testing has been done yet for GF2 and FSH/HBR and 720 modes are still to be primed 100% judging by some of the feedback here it seems.

@zsound J'adore France - could quite easily live there...

@har_k Looks great. bkmcwd settings are wonderful.

• @Jim_Simon @thepalalias - Thanks guys, you motivated me to read the PNG standard (which I was not very familiar with). You're right - its mathematically lossless. So PNG files it is! Thanks very much.

• PNG, LZW, 1995, UINISYS. It would take me back, if I could remember.....

• My initial reactions to Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' ...

The biggest thing I noticed is that this setting appears to handle highlights better than anything I remember on a GH2. Highlights that would traditionally be a disaster -- aren't with this patch. It's the difference between usable and unusable. It's not magically preserving highlights -- all the old exposure rules apply -- but it is better.

Banding is almost nonexistent. Almost. You need to be looking for it very closely. No normal audience would be distracted by banding.

Sharpness is a bit of a mystery on this one. With classic Nikkors, including the notoriously soft (cheap) 20mm f/3.5 AI-S, it's sharp -- very pleasing. Normally this would mean that this setting would be a disaster with a micro-four-thirds lens. For whatever reason -- it isn't a disaster on MFT lenses -- I saw none of that "edge flicker" that I would normally expect from a sharp matrix on an MFT lens. This setting is either doing something right or represents a very nice balance. Details are handled very well -- nothing "fake" looking.

It's a high bitrate intraframe in the full glory of the Driftwood tradition -- about 140 Mbps. Murder on card/disc space -- and better looking than anything you could possibly deliver to any normal consumer.

Colors are very natural looking -- nothing excessive. Visually -- you'd have a hell of a time telling it apart from almost any 4:2:2 broadcast camera. Visually. I didn't run any keying tests.

I was not able to crash 24H. I shot wide and tele, classic Nikkors and Panasonic MFT. I didn't do the old river tests -- but I did do wide, high detail, fast camera motion. No crashes. AND -- it spanned flawlessly at 24H.

If I could afford the disc space (as I write this I'm sitting next to 27.5 terabytes of storage with about 100 gigabytes free) -- I'd use this for everything.

All of the above is my initial reaction after about two days of playing with it.

Below is an exceptionally crappy and boring video featuring the very initial test footage, along with a lens commentary that may be of interest to those of you who love classic lens discussions...

• @onionbrain Thanks for the review! After reading Driftwood's description I didn't bother to download it because it looked too specialized. I'm going to give it a workout on the farm tomorrow. You didn't mention low light which is an unbelievably strong point in AN soft. Hopefully, BOOM is as good.

Edited to add:

I just did some low light shots in the office. This may be his best low light setting yet. Even at 6400 with only the light from a red railroad beacon, it cleaned up well enough.

• I used Apocalypse BOOM for a video I shot for fun with my friend and it works freaking! Perfect I love it! Even for wide shots and everything! No crashes or anything!! Still sharp on my old manual lens and works even great on my panasonic lens!

• Apocalypse Boom! 24P -2-2-2-2 Smooth; Shutter 1/60; all ISO 160 except the pot was at ISO 320 (maybe 640). Lens Nikon 35mm G F1.8. Wide open.

1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Used Apocalyse Boom

• @deshondixon: that video looks really awesome, you really have a good feel for the camera.

• @driftwood: what was your first impulse to say BOOM! is rather not for wide shots? The wideshots i have seen so far with it, look pretty good.

• NEW!!!

I released two candidates of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/83686#Comment_83686

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• Got a feature shoot begins on 17th and really digging the boom settings. May be the one.

• Apocalypse Now BOOM ON GF2 1080i iA Sandisk UltraII.jpg
    1289 x 673 - 294K
    Apocalypse Now BOOM ON GF2 720p iA Sandisk UltraII.jpg
    1285 x 675 - 309K
  • @deshondixon Nice looking skate video with AN Boom. Very smooth edit - well done. What settings and lens did you use?

• @matt_gh2 I used the 14-42mm kit lens and a Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 lens

• @deshondixon Those 2 lenses cut together real well in editing. Were you on Standard all -2 by chance? Looked like Standard with a mild grade in editor. Nice stuff.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions