Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • This is what i get every 12 frames in HBR, using "Apocalypse_Now_-Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP'444_Soft'_matrix_setf.zip"

-very nasty jpegy-looking compression errors. attached screenshot as png, and also streamparser screenshot.

apocalypsenow.png
    1918 x 1076 - 2M
    sp.gif
    1269 x 593 - 78K
  • @blaisejadoul OK, I switched to my Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 manual lens.

Same problem. The AN Soft 444 doesn't span for me with a SanDisk 32 GB 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card. Anyone else got any suggestions? I also tried the SanDisk 32 GB 45 MB/s, and the SanDisk 32 30 MB/s... none of them span with current settings.

• @ahbleza yep, but 24L does span with that card if you're talking about the nebula settings (but you'll get about 12 minutes in a single 4GB file with that anyway). I think the general consensus is that spanning with the Sandisk 95MB/s cards works better with the larger 64GB card.

• I spent a full morning shooting with Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' - setd, in 24P H, and the Panny 14-140. I made about a hunderd clips, mostof them 10 seconds long, some of them 5 minutes long, daylight, interiors, shallow DOF, and even at f22, slow shutter, fast shutter, never never a hang, sometime I needed to turn the camera off on for preview the clip, I also did not record a short clip after the long one to see what happens, nothing, it just work, so far no problems.

Should I test again with the smallHD hdmi EVF ? can that cause some problems ? (because I use it a lot in general, not this morning, just to travel light).

• Cluster 7 Nebula 444 Soft is so good for panny lenses. its not so much detailed. but looks so filmy. a slight grain with a soft texture keeps the footage look so good for color correction and grading this patch is also friendly. thanks to @driftwood sir and the AN testers. i am so excited and waiting to see Intra Venus 444 Soft for Panny lenses. i hope it would over run all other setting. Superb Work.... Thank You So much people...

• @driftwood cluster V8??? i doubt whether u sleep or not. you seems like working too much. all the best!

• @matt_gh2 I used a RODE videomic on one and an Azden SMX-10 on the other, used one channel from each cause RODE was too loud and Azden was too soft; together is what you heard.

• Thanks for the advise. That's what I like about this community; you guys are direct! On topic, Sedna is amazing but out of all the hacks I have ever tried nothing looks as good IMO as Boom! after colour correction, it is just pure cinema and it looks very stable as far as I can tell from my own tests and other peoples.

• @Stills just a friendly word of caution.. In Nick's intro it mentions "Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' - Intra GOP1 24p Flat 4 matrix experiment. Works very well for Mid Shots/Close Ups"

• I like BOOM! a lot, but what are other good allround and stable intra settings by Nick? Some recommend Sedna, but that is a rather "old" setting. Thankful for every recommendation, cheers!!

• @Zaven13 No mention of 24p, 60p or other higher rates? And I'm curious about it specifying both MP4 and MOV... aren't these basically the same, with different wrappers?

• @matthere The only time I've had BOOM go into fallback mode was when I had it in L mode. The same type of shot did not fall back when I was in H.

I've been doing mostly wide shots (Some really wide with the 7.5mm) all day and it's preformed like a champ.

• @peternap - Thanks for the info :) @Stills Boom should be ok in 24H mode

• @Stills, @MirrorKisser. If you are only interested in intra and 24p, then Sedna and CM settings are good to go. If you require any non-24p modes like HBR, FSH and SH, you need a longer GOP setting (3GOP, 6GOP, 12/15 GOP) for stability.

• here is a Boom! sample.

I'm happy with that quality. thanks, driftwood, cbrandin and VK!

• @peternap Gotta love that Samyang 85mm!

• @jweeke Nice job! It made me smile! Totally forgot I was watching it to look for signs of a GH2. Just sat back and waited for the story to unfold. Where was this shot?

• @vicharris Thanks, that means a lot! We try to be entertaining, at least.

The video [

] was shot in Seoul, and features a type of alcohol which I'm not even sure you can get in other countries. But if you find it you should try it, because it's truly pretty great.

• @ahbleza "Same problem. The AN Soft 444 doesn't span for me with a SanDisk 32 GB 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card."

I think that's normal. You really need the 64 GB card to get spanning.

• Shooting a short for the next 3 days on Boom.

Still from dailies, precolor.

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 10.12.22 PM.png
    2186 x 1228 - 2M
  • @jweeke On second look, the letters should have given it away. Where'd you find all those white guys? Military? I spent 3 years in Japan and that sight looks all too familiar!! :)

• @vicharris Similar, eh? ^_^ Couple army guys, but mostly ex-pats. The teaching market is a great way to make a living here.

• Flow Motion v2.02 versus Apocalypse Now - Boom Flat 4s - 24H mode

Flow Motion v2.02 (unedited 200% crop): image

Apocalypse Now - Boom Flat 4s (unedited 200% crop): image

Detailed analysis here:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-class-10-sd-cards/p17

• Not sure of the point.

In more productive insight, has anyone else noticed an INCREASE in grain even at ISO 200 with boom?

facepalm.jpg
    300 x 300 - 13K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions