Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy - short answer: yes

• @b3guy you do know that all adobe products are 80% off for college students? I bought the entirety of production premium CS5.5 for 370$

• Hey @shian I've not jumped over to CS6 yet. I think I might go for the student cloud subscription. It's only about £23/month for absolutely everything.

Here's the finished project. It's quite rough in a lot of areas, as the point of the film making course was for us to do 'everything' as much as possible. Production time was about 10 hours pre-prod, 10 hours prod and 20 post.

Anyway, thanks for your help. The GHears and your workflow tutorials have been excellent. I'm still refining it, but that's the beauty of your system, in that it's completely flexible. As soon as you actually understand 'how' it works, you can then make it your own. Things like MB Looks might have 'some' flexibility built in, but it's nowhere near as flexible (or powerful) as ColorGhear in the long run.

• @shian

I just signed up this afternoon - running through the tutorials right now - can't wait to try this on my D800 files.

• @last_SHIFT awesome, can't wait to see it on the D800 footage.

• @shian

Here's a before and after grab - D800 footage with Neutral Profile Color/Contrast/Sharpness dialed down.

D800 Ungraded Graded ColorGHear.png
    900 x 954 - 876K
  • Just testing CGT on some family footage I shot on 4th of July with Cluster 6.

ORIGINAL.png
    1280 x 720 - 3M
    GRADED.png
    1280 x 720 - 3M
  • @last_SHIFT @sanzadez Looking good guys.

I'll be at ComicCon till next week, and internet down there is always dicey, so if u don't hear from me it ain't cuz I don't care.

• Ok so I shot some interview pitch things for a kickstarter thing the other day...Used the New Cluster 6 Drewnet Driftwood... Couldnt get in camera playback for some reason...but the files are fine. Shot these In Smooth this time Negative 2 all.... I had to use some cheapy cowboy studio lights in softboxes to tide me over till i can grab a decent lowell kit etc..

Here is a before and After Ghears shot. I am trying to focus on better skin tones. I love CG.

dance (00106).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    dance_1920x1080.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 1.41.47 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 807K
    Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 2.36.05 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 803K
  • Back from ComicCon after one HELL of a non-stop 4 day party that ended with 3 hours on a train with Taryn Southernimage

If I look slightly smashed, it's cuz I was. Train + Alchohol = a nice trip. Sometimes, my life is just too much fun.

I'll be back on the job soon, sharing my knowledge, etc. But for now, I'm gonna go sleep for a day.....or three.

TarynTrain.jpg
    960 x 720 - 84K
  • Lucky you. She's cute.

• Just got back from watching "Moonrise Kingdom". It's another magical piece from Wes Anderson. I don't know if you know these guys and gals work but what they did was just beautiful. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/fullcredits#cast

It was probably shot on film, but sometimes I'd like to try to achive a similar atmosphere with CGH. Micmacs on steroids?

• @duartix Mic Macs with the booster will get you there. Might mix in some shadow lift first to get that aged film look, and even the warm light leak mixed down.... play around it's definitely doable. And you'll need to shoot pretty close to 2:1

• Thanks @Shian! I'll give it a go. I didn't catch your last advise though... Shoot close to 2:1? What do you mean?

• Re: Moonrise Kingdom, It was shot on s16mm, so grain to match that would certainly help to recreate a similar look.. (apart from the color)

They used Kodak VISION3 200T 7213 stock.

• @duartix ColorGHear Film School - lesson #4: Contrast ratios.

• I watch films these days and find myself thinking . . . "Shian could do that with GHears". In fact, I watched Black Snake Moan the other day and had to check that you didn't work on it, looked so similar to some of your stuff.

• Hi Everyone

I just finished shooting a short "Before First Sight" yesterday and I couldn't resist to start using the CG for the first time before even starting to edit, these are some frames.

Let me know your thoughts @shian a lot of this is thanks to you

Kev.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    2-Chal.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    3-Sel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    CelStanding.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Aquarium.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Booutique.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    David_BC.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Erynn.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Marisol.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    MocaCream.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @aksel I see a little noise and macroblocking in the 2nd shot - Might be an ISO bug thing. Everything else looks fantastic, great work!

• Thank you. The Zone System really helped me a lot, and of course thanks to you. I used Sanity patch & I never went beyond ISO800

• It's always nice to get a little love from EOSHD. A quick CGT grade of some BMD stills just to see what they'd do. Here's the findings http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/76110#Comment_76110

Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 2.22.46 PM.png
    1255 x 728 - 547K
  • @ shian You've done a great thing with CGT. Unlocking the power of AE to give indie artists the same tools/capacities as the bigger budget projects. And doing it in a way that makes the workflow much quicker. Art at the speed of inspiration/thought. Thank you.

• FINALLY - Synthetic Aperture did what we asked Adobe to do, but didn't. It's $95 US, but in my opinion; worth it. Real time scopes in AE - WITHOUT the pain in the ass of going into CF.

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/tg/index.html

http://www.toolfarm.com/buy/synthetic_aperture_test_gear If you are a Tool Farm member get it for $91.

They appear as floating windows, accessible from the Window heading on your AE menu. Select only the scopes you want, and place them where ever you want. Thanks to @kavadni for the heads up

(they aren't as pretty as the scopes in other programs, but they do what we need them to do.)

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 6.07.16 PM.png
    2553 x 1433 - 2M
  • The product homepage has a layout that the scopes panels are nicely integrated into the editor instead of floating.

• Yeah, they operate just like every other AE window, you can float them or dock them into interface/panels. It's quite awesome. The only thing that pisses me off, is that it's made by Synthetic Aperture (the same company that created Color Finesse) which means Adobe could have easily licensed this and included it with CS5 or CS6, and didn't. Even though they knew we all wanted it.

For CGT users this is huge. If you can afford it.

I have some serious thinking to do. If I should use it on all my tutorials, or do versions both with and without.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions