Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @sanzadez Yikes, You're turning into me. I've created a monster!!! :)

• Hey guys, look! Once again - a new video, which I've graded with CGH

• @Shian

About the light kit for a narrative work mainly (some interviews once in a while) do you think a kit of 3 LED lights is a good idea? like this ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-1200-LED-Video-Light-Camera-Camcorder-Lighting-for-Canon-Nikon-sony-LS-1200-/140656339236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bfc56924

• Latest.....

• @Aksel if it can be dialed to 3200K as well. Some people don't like LED lighting for skin tone. I'm one of them... but it's fine for eye-lights, and a fill in a run-and-gun pinch.

@psywhisper @pvjames awesome work, as always.

• @shian Some people don't like LED lighting for skin tone.

I noticed the LED lights tend to make the skin green is that what you mean?

Thank you for your answer

• @Aksel it's a "quality of light" issue. I'll eventually do a tutorial examination of this in the advanced Film School tuts, but the quality of the light is something most beginners don't notice at first, except that when they see it, they ask, "Why does that look so good?" And the answer usually is (leaving out the talent of the DP) the quality of the light.

• @shian Wise words about the quality of light (you could probably say the same about good sound - that often people don't notice it but it makes video look good!).

I love my Dedolight kit (4 heads) but don't yet have a softbox, just spots. At the moment I bounce the spots off a big round reflector to get soft lighting, but must get some proper ones. I did some indoor work recently where we just used skylight from a big window (not direct sunlight) and it looked wonderful. I'm really intrigued by that grid stuff that people use on softboxes to create large-source lighting which is also directional. It sounds like the best of both worlds. Very interested in anything you have to say about lighting in your tutorials.

• @shian take a look at this Time-Laps I did this last year put I re-uploaded the file after using CGT

• @Aksel cool. I really need to get out of the states, and see some shit.

• @shian Granada is a beautiful city, the whole Spain is amazing you definitely should go

• @shian and all. I've just finished cutting together a 20 minute wedding piece that's going to be graded in CGT. Any tips to get this done quickly without much fuss. Traditionally just dynamic link.

• watch the working with sequences tutorials, identify the components that will get a similar grade and put them in their own comp, grade accordingly, that way you essentially only do 6, or so, grades instead of trying to grade every cut. As far as Dynamic Linking, you'll have to ask someone else. I never finish in PP.

• @shian - So in your FCP workflow, you identify the clips, locate them in finder, grade and overwrite those clips? I'm on mobile so I'll watch that tutorial when I get home.

• No. Let me repeat I NEVER go back to FCP or PP, NEVER. I always finish in AE. It's simpler, and I get better results, without crashing.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/55553#Comment_55553

Export XML to AE, in AE identify which clips will be graded similarly, select them, and pre-comp them, continue until I've got however many different grades I need setup in each's individual comp, grade each. When I'm done, it's a s simple as going back to the original comp, which will now contain all the graded precomps (if you follow the tutorials correctly) and just export that comp.

• Forgive my newb question, I just found this thread, and went to your site. Why does the toolkit have discontinued beside it?

• @eddieblake discounted not discontinued.

• lmao sorry didn't have my glasses on.

• @shian - You're a brilliant man.

• Haven't had much experience or opportunity with ColorGHear yet, but I did just do this recently. Thought it might be cool to see the comparison of without ColorGhear and with ColorGhear on a simple little video.

Not Graded:

Password: nograde

Graded (somewhat light):

• BTW, I LOVE Sara Bareilles!! I've known her for like 6 years, now - since she was playing clubs here in LA, and on top of being an amazing singer/songwriter, she's one of the funniest people on earth.

• That's awesome man... wow, what a coincidence!

• Kinda looking a tad bit overblown. Intentional?

• Yea I didn't necessarily mean to put her in the path of the sunlight like that – I was focused on audio more than anything. I didn't think it ruined it though; I thought it might look... uh... "artsy".

• Ah artsy. Hehe. There's a quick and easy way to check exposure. Before pressing the record button, enable IA intelligent mode. It will give you just an idea. In-camers auto exposure isn't always right though. Look at the histogram and try to mimic it... or change it to your liking. Most of the time I don't deviate too much from the automatic setting. Me vs Machine!!

@shian's light meter tutorial is good, too.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions