Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • Looking forward to grabbing one of these at some point. The GX / GM sensor with the 4 processors and DFD promise an amazing experience. I already choose to carry the G6 more often than the GM1 or EPM2 despite the slightly weaker sensor. (Note: The G6 would be an amazing camera hacked. Better than the hacked GH2 I suspect.)

These new ergonomics with the extra wheel promise an even more Nikon-like experience and that is right in my wheelhouse. I actually spent some money to grab a used D90 and a few lenses just to get that high performance feel again ... I had thought all was lost in Panny-land. I am pleased to be wrong :-)

• Barely had timer to test the G7 until I get one in my hands hopefully next week.

• I heard that this little thing will have 4:3 aspect ratio for my anamorphic lenses... I'm sold!

• Another comparative view :)

Lumix G7 Oly Mark II Titanium arriba.png
    1174 x 552 - 419K
  • Scaled photos, dimensions and weight of two "titanium" beauties for comparison. Oly is watersealed and has 5 axis IBIS, Lumix has 4K, better video, Extended Teleconverter and is way cheaper.

Lumix G7 Oly Mark II Titanium.png
    1200 x 564 - 593K
  • @CFreak Videasta May 20 Amazon states that the G7 will be released mid Juni

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X409PQS/

• Thanks @Videasta

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 12.46.27 PM.jpg
    1015 x 471 - 138K
  • Taking that DR may be defined in terms of PSNR, and looking specifically at 8bit video, when you have 4x those 8bit pixels you have a theoretical 2EV stops advantage.

Many people have mixed things in their head. Same term, DR, actually mean different things for camera, encoding (video or photo) and for device that is showing to you via your eyes.

• Taking that DR may be defined in terms of PSNR, and looking specifically at 8bit video, when you have 4x those 8bit pixels you have a theoretical 2EV stops advantage.

• @4CardsMan I agree with the good lenses and the GH5. I wish the G7 had the superior on camera stabilisation like the Oly E-M5 Mark II.

About the lenses, and given the 2x factor, in the wide angle the Nokton 10.5mm f.095 is the fastest option, and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 or the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 are both good alternatives. But I think the best option always is metabones normal and speedbooster + tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (16-23mm f2.0 w SB) and Sigma Art 18-35mm f1.8 (25.5-50mm f1.2 w SB)

I do have two G6, PAL and NTSC versions, but want to trade both for two G7s (with the titanium look) and allways keep my vintage primes: Nikkors 20mm f4.0, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, as the Minoltas Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4, Tele Rokkor 135mm f2.8, not the least the Canons 50mm f1.8 and a 200mm f3.5 ( Soligor).

• Investment - wise, good lenses are better. They last a lifetime and hold their value. Cameras come and go. The GH5 is on its way. Will it have good 120FPs like the Samsung NX1? New sensor? Better dynamic range? Better color? Who knows? But a Leica 25mm Summilux on a GH2 or G6 will produce a superior image and it will keep on producing it no matter which camera you attach it to.

• thank you vitaliy!

• @vittibel

You can find potential (not real) DR looking at GX7 sensor measurements.

• how match stops? i know gh4 has 10.4 stop in terms of DR

• It should be better with the G7, not because of 4K - its related to the newer sensor.

• What about the dynamic range? Thanks to all

• Indeed: 4K will give you better detail in 1080p and cropping / pan / zoom options in post.

• I currently own a G6 with a couple of great lenses. I am really interesting in the G7, soley for the 4k option. I do a lot of personal filming as well as a few weddings, but all of my stuff will be edited on a 1080p timeline and for the near future watched on 1080p TV's. With that in mind am I better off spending the money on glass rather than the G7 or will the 4k still give me a superior detailed picture at 1080p as well as the extra cropping options in post?

• hdmi out has always been a technology with varying degrees of success

• I just think Pany has been refining this Hybrid path for a good while and they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing by now. There are always some sacrifices due to the price point but this is a pretty good version based on existing tech. Like I said unless there's something disastrously wrong I like the feature set for this camera at this price. To get 4K, DFD and HDMI out in this package is right up my alley.

My clients don't need 4K. I want 4K for better 1080 now and archive value and flexibility. The LX100 or FZ1000 didn't quite fit my needs and I wanted something cheaper than the GH4.

• @Kurth - unhacked version of GH2 was not as good as the hacked version, but "dog" is a two-trick overbid. I'd been waiting for video to look right for years, and when I saw the first footage from my GH2, I knew the wait was over. @ Aria - I'm with Kurth on waiting for a real review. The G7 does look good so far, but there's no need to walk the plank until we get some real data, unless you need 4K for a paying gig right now. If you just want one and have cash to spare, no problem. My experience with this kind of emotional purchase is negative, so I will wait.

• @kurth, no I didn't read anything about the Canon T6i. I assumed that you were trying to say it was better than the previous models. Still has nothing to do with my points about the G7. Unless something is really wrong with the image I fully expect the G7 to be a nice camera in terms of it's features as I mentioned.

From what's been stated it's using the same sensor as the GX7 with the Image processing of the GH4. I like the combination of features at this price point. I'm not expecting perfection as none of the other cameras before it were perfect either. I don't get your point in regards to the G7. There's always a caveat with these cameras before they hit the store shelves. Barring anything disastrous my statement stands. I think it's gonna be the best overall value for the price. I haven't read anything disastrous about the camera test so far. Hopefully there's nothing egregious that pops up.

• aset47.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K