Personal View site logo
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • Indeed: 4K will give you better detail in 1080p and cropping / pan / zoom options in post.

• What about the dynamic range? Thanks to all

• It should be better with the G7, not because of 4K - its related to the newer sensor.

• how match stops? i know gh4 has 10.4 stop in terms of DR

• @vittibel

You can find potential (not real) DR looking at GX7 sensor measurements.

• thank you vitaliy!

• Investment - wise, good lenses are better. They last a lifetime and hold their value. Cameras come and go. The GH5 is on its way. Will it have good 120FPs like the Samsung NX1? New sensor? Better dynamic range? Better color? Who knows? But a Leica 25mm Summilux on a GH2 or G6 will produce a superior image and it will keep on producing it no matter which camera you attach it to.

• @4CardsMan I agree with the good lenses and the GH5. I wish the G7 had the superior on camera stabilisation like the Oly E-M5 Mark II.

About the lenses, and given the 2x factor, in the wide angle the Nokton 10.5mm f.095 is the fastest option, and Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 or the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 are both good alternatives. But I think the best option always is metabones normal and speedbooster + tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (16-23mm f2.0 w SB) and Sigma Art 18-35mm f1.8 (25.5-50mm f1.2 w SB)

I do have two G6, PAL and NTSC versions, but want to trade both for two G7s (with the titanium look) and allways keep my vintage primes: Nikkors 20mm f4.0, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, as the Minoltas Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4, Tele Rokkor 135mm f2.8, not the least the Canons 50mm f1.8 and a 200mm f3.5 ( Soligor).

• Taking that DR may be defined in terms of PSNR, and looking specifically at 8bit video, when you have 4x those 8bit pixels you have a theoretical 2EV stops advantage.

• Taking that DR may be defined in terms of PSNR, and looking specifically at 8bit video, when you have 4x those 8bit pixels you have a theoretical 2EV stops advantage.

Many people have mixed things in their head. Same term, DR, actually mean different things for camera, encoding (video or photo) and for device that is showing to you via your eyes.

• Thanks @Videasta

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 12.46.27 PM.jpg
    1015 x 471 - 138K
  • @CFreak Videasta May 20 Amazon states that the G7 will be released mid Juni

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X409PQS/

• Scaled photos, dimensions and weight of two "titanium" beauties for comparison. Oly is watersealed and has 5 axis IBIS, Lumix has 4K, better video, Extended Teleconverter and is way cheaper.

Lumix G7 Oly Mark II Titanium.png
    1200 x 564 - 593K
  • Another comparative view :)

Lumix G7 Oly Mark II Titanium arriba.png
    1174 x 552 - 419K
  • I heard that this little thing will have 4:3 aspect ratio for my anamorphic lenses... I'm sold!

• Barely had timer to test the G7 until I get one in my hands hopefully next week.

• Looking forward to grabbing one of these at some point. The GX / GM sensor with the 4 processors and DFD promise an amazing experience. I already choose to carry the G6 more often than the GM1 or EPM2 despite the slightly weaker sensor. (Note: The G6 would be an amazing camera hacked. Better than the hacked GH2 I suspect.)

These new ergonomics with the extra wheel promise an even more Nikon-like experience and that is right in my wheelhouse. I actually spent some money to grab a used D90 and a few lenses just to get that high performance feel again ... I had thought all was lost in Panny-land. I am pleased to be wrong :-)

• That video is pretty nice, although the occasional jitter is a bit disconcerting. Perhaps shot with the new 14-140? I would like to see video shot at an appropriate shutter speed ... this seemed really high in the actions scenes, giving it that Zombie movie quality :-) ... but all in all it looks like Panny video, which is to say clean and crisp.

• It's nice to see prices in Australia are quite competitive. The body-only is retailing for $770 (US$596) here. I was fearing the worst with the region locked frame rates.

• Do they sell NTSC or PAL in Australia?