Personal View site logo
3-axis stabilizers ala FreeFly MOVi or ZenMuse - DIY and commercial
  • 458 Replies sorted by
  • @tabaluga from what I saw so far: whatever material you use on a gimbal: it must not flex. adding weight seems to be a plus for walks/runs. but I would rather see the weight on top, on the handlebar side than with the stabilized parts (cam/lens).

• The weight of the two types is the same. Maybe, in this case Aluminium with carbon would be stiffer. Anyway I'll use it with a Canon 550D which is not so heavy. The flexibility will affect the performances (stability) of the gimbal? Thank You for your answer!

• @tabaluga if anything flexes, you get micro jitter in your footage. I did a prototype handlebar out of PVC pipes and tried to walk the gimbal... good for checking mounting options, bad for testing! Using a 1.2kg bicycle handlebar gave the best results so far (I should visit the gym). Using tubes, you can fit in weight ;)

• O.K, I got it. Thanks a lot!

• @hellrazor

Cool video, looks great considering you didn't do any calibration (is that right?).

Any pictures of your handheld Arris setup?

Wondering if it will take a GH3?

• @Tone13 no. Already tuned. I lowered initial values. The initial setup was quite good. Just too much power. Motors got too hot. No. GH3 won't fit. BMPCC fits, but you are already in trouble connecting micro HDMI... My handheld setup is constantly evolving... I will post the final once its working good.

• Looks like they just released an updated version of the Came-6000 2 axis gimbal. It now has side handles. It holds 2.5kg (5.5 pounds). That's a lot of weight if you think about it. That's enough to hold a Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production camera with a prime lens and small lens hood. The BMCC and BMPC come in at 1.5-1.7kg (3.3-3.75 pounds). You could even put a loaded Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with wireless focus and zoom motors on it if you are so inclined.

http://www.came-tv.com/updated-came-6000-ready-to-run-2-axis-brushless-camera-gimbal-p-520.html?ref=cheesycam

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Updated-CAME-6000-Ready-to-Run-2-Axis-Brushless-Camera-Gimbal-Video-Stabilizer-/171261811633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dfffdbb1

• Cheesycam did complained about the missing side handle in his review and nowCame-TV includes it in the package. I'm going to order the Came-6000

• @PixCanFly

The lack of side handles is the only thing that was holding me back on getting it a month or so back. Now I spent the money I had set aside for gear on a wireless system and some other stuff. Looks like I need to set aside more money now for the upgraded Came-6000.

• @Brian202020

CAME is seller whom I know personally, they just rebrand Chinese stuff.

Be aware that issues can be with controller software, so you need to check tests first. Also do not like camera mount, if you check newer photo above it is much better who very tight two point mount.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Are you referring to the 3 axis gimbal on your last post? The HJ-911? It looks nice, but since it's a 3 axis, don't you need to get a separate controller that is not included? and you'll need a second operator right?

• It looks nice, but since it's a 3 axis, don't you need to get a separate controller that is not included?

Yep, looking at item description, they have suitable controller. Contact them and ask.

and you'll need a second operator right?

As I understand, good controllers have special modes to work alone (with limitations).

• @Brian202020 What I like about the CAME 6000 is the "ready to shoot" kind of kit. Balancing seem easy on the Cheesycam video. I'm sure price will come down with more options and brands available, but as of now this look like one of the cheaper and better option.

• This Defy 2 looks good too, but it's more than double the price of the CAME-6000 http://defygimbal.com/store/gimbals/defy-g2-gimbal/

• What I like about the CAME 6000 is the "ready to shoot" kind of kit.

Yep. But. Check ebay and other places first. Also checking controller options / brushless drives used is good idea.

Such thing is not cheap entry level steadicam were if it is done more or less good it just needs your skill. Here you invest in the tool that must have good hardware, capable drives that can be used with cameras you like (and that can arise next years), and good controller/software.

• The G2 from Defy is 3 axis. But mediocre at best. Not worth the money in my opinion. We've had multiple issues with it on several shoots and have ended up wasting more time and missing shots instead getting the goods. They've supposedly made some improvements to the design over the last couple of months. But I can't comment since we have the original. Their support is pretty bad (in our experience). At this point, all their staff is doing is Defying to provide any customer service. There are several other options out now for much less money that seem to be at least as good if not better. But we haven't tried them all. So far it seems that just like in the steadicam world, weight is your friend in terms of both balance and stability.

• I have a friend who's a software developer, if I was to buy the HJ-911 or any other 3 axis gimbal that needs a controller board, which controller(s) boards are commonly used and better?

• There might be other options by now. So it's in your best interest to research the matter thoroughly. So far, we've had very favorable results with the 2 axis alexmos board paired with the 3rd axis add-on board. The BGC tuning software was for me at least, the most daunting task. Almost put my fist through the screen on several occasions. Still learning there. But the crazy talented Russian from www.basecamelectronics.com is the go to controller board(s) and tuning software as far as I know at this point.

• BeetleCam