Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone used the Nikon mount version with the cheaper ($<30) m43 to nikon adapters w/aperture ring available at amazon?

• So this lens on the pocket on a manfrotto monopod?.. I am looking to use this for wedding videography and although I need the stabilisation I also want the flexibility of a monopod.. Is this the right lens or should I get something smaller like the sigma 17-50 2.8 with speedbooster?. Still fast enough and covers a bigger range?

• @lmackreath your Pocket will make a nice rear lens cap :-)

Weight distribution will be very front heavy if flying naked. It'll be ok, but I'd be looking to mount at the rear of any plate to keep it to the rear.

As for comparative results from the Popular Photography tests, it’s difficult to find glass to contrast it with, since there’s no other zoom this fast. Of all recently tested zooms, the Pentax offers our sole point of comparison. Both lenses produced Excellent-range SQF numbers indicating outstanding sharpness and contrast. The Sigma is slightly sharper at the tele end, while the Pentax is slightly sharper in the mid-range focal lengths.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/11/lens-test-sigma-18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm

sony39.jpg
    403 x 398 - 64K
    sony40.jpg
    694 x 464 - 64K
  • Very keen on this sigma speedbooster combo for my bmpcc.. Anyone think it's size on the bmpcc will be an issue when mounting on a manfrotto monopod in regards to weight distribution?

• Thanks again for your comment and your movies. Really helpful !

• @PhilMyself It holds very tight. Better than other adapters i used before. Of Course it has some moving, but you need to rotate lens body to feel it, not focusing ring, and use some force.

• ala_img thank you very much for the pictures ! Sure, it's looks big. My concerns are that the SB hold the lens well and that manual focusing, zooming operation doesn't make it move.

• Just nab one of these, super exited specially as I have a gig coming up next weekend. Next, get the speedbooster when it comes back to stock. Maybe someone has mentioned before but what lens will you match this with?

• @PhilMyself it looks huge ))

P1370909.jpg
    1000 x 638 - 164K
    P1370913.jpg
    1000 x 644 - 165K
  • @kholi It was shot wide open at 90% of frames. I did not check SB color shift, but i do not feel it.

• Very good ! It makes me think about selling my 25mm & 17,5mm Voigtlander to grab this combo. But Voigtlander are such a joy to use for manual focus... Can anybody post a picture of the lens on the GH3, please ?

• Ala, also, have you noticed any color shifts between the naked Sigma ETTF and the SB+Sigma ETTF combo?

I haven't, but I also have not had a chance to play with one for an extended period of time, on my own. I suspect there aren't any, but you never know.

• The purple/blue sigma flare is one of my favorite characteristics.

Thanks for sharing.

These three things seem to go together really well.

Was this shot wide open or more in the range of 2-2.8 split?

• Here is a piece of country-promo video. No sound and not so stable, because it is just draft montage. Sigma18-35mm+SB+GH3. Please not repost it anywhere else. Pass: PV

• It's not. People thought it was at first but it moves a bit.

• mikelinn parfocal

I wish it was, but another test showed it's not. Is it or not?

• @kholi, @test1; I'm also pretty anxious to see the release of the m4/3 version of the EF Speed Booster, but I don't know the schedule. I just do optics.

• As Brian designed em Im sure he might know lol

• This combo seems to look much better on the GH3. Weird.

Thanks for sharing.

Also @brianc1959 -- that's why I'm thinking about getting the 24-105, at any interval I could also drop it onto my EF 2.5K Blackmagic and use it with OS in broad daylight, or switch over to the Pocket or MFt2.5K + Booster and have a solid 17-75/2.8...

Pretty versatile.

I wish someone knew when the EF Booster was going to come out. =T

• Beautiful, love the combo.

• @oscillian It is just the result of tweaking Colour Curves in Sony Vegas. Picture profile - neutral (-3 -3 0 -3) i-dynamic set on high for all that time, as experiment.

• @ala_img Wow! Amazing scenery and great framing. Very cinematic. What's your workflow? Profiles, grading and such :)

• One more sigma+SB+gh3 video.

• Thank you I will think about that! ;) @brianc1959