Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah, I finally got a chance to actually watch that last video from @ala_img

Bokeh is indeed looking good there, as is pretty much everything else. Nicely done and thanks for posting. This Sigma is not gonna be something I can avoid for much longer...except for the scarce availability. ; )

O

• Here you can compare brightness of two wide open lenses. No big difference between Panaleica and Sigma + SB. Samyang 85mm at f1.4 a bit darker than both this lens, but almost the same.

leica.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 164K
    sigma.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 162K
  • Anyone by chance shoot any footage of Sigma 18-35 on GH2 using Intravenus v2 ? I'm curious on that combo.

• Hi,

I plan to purchase this Sigma 18-35 with Speedbooster for my Gh3. What is the best long lens for portrait or longer shots ( 50mm, 85 mm) can match with this Sigma? Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

• I've read about the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM ART Lens, which is a addition next to the Sigma 18-35mm Lens, with the same build quality. Maybe that is what fits your description best for a 50-85mm view.

• Since I'm likely getting an SB, I'm thinking that I may also pick the 24-105 up, deal with losing OS, and having a long 2.8 zoom that matches the 18-35 until the rumored 24-70/2 comes out.

• I just received my 18-35 last night. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it out until next week.

I wanted to share my first impressions after taking out of the box.

The good:

• build quality
    • Internal focusing and zoom mechanics (does not extend when focusing or zooming, like Tokina 11-16)

The Bad:

• Canon focus rotation even tho it's a Nikon mount
    • Focus ring keeps spinning like a Canon lens

I know the optics are good and I can't wait to test it out.

• Thank you but i need a faster aperture than f4 maybe i will wait for the rumored 24-70 f2

• @Baramed : The 24-105/4 plus Speed Booster combination that Kholi mentions is a 17-75mm f/2.8.

• Thank you I will think about that! ;) @brianc1959

• One more sigma+SB+gh3 video.

• @ala_img Wow! Amazing scenery and great framing. Very cinematic. What's your workflow? Profiles, grading and such :)

• @oscillian It is just the result of tweaking Colour Curves in Sony Vegas. Picture profile - neutral (-3 -3 0 -3) i-dynamic set on high for all that time, as experiment.

• Beautiful, love the combo.

• This combo seems to look much better on the GH3. Weird.

Thanks for sharing.

Also @brianc1959 -- that's why I'm thinking about getting the 24-105, at any interval I could also drop it onto my EF 2.5K Blackmagic and use it with OS in broad daylight, or switch over to the Pocket or MFt2.5K + Booster and have a solid 17-75/2.8...

Pretty versatile.

I wish someone knew when the EF Booster was going to come out. =T

• As Brian designed em Im sure he might know lol

• @kholi, @test1; I'm also pretty anxious to see the release of the m4/3 version of the EF Speed Booster, but I don't know the schedule. I just do optics.

• mikelinn parfocal

I wish it was, but another test showed it's not. Is it or not?

• It's not. People thought it was at first but it moves a bit.

• Here is a piece of country-promo video. No sound and not so stable, because it is just draft montage. Sigma18-35mm+SB+GH3. Please not repost it anywhere else. Pass: PV

• The purple/blue sigma flare is one of my favorite characteristics.

Thanks for sharing.

These three things seem to go together really well.

Was this shot wide open or more in the range of 2-2.8 split?

• Ala, also, have you noticed any color shifts between the naked Sigma ETTF and the SB+Sigma ETTF combo?

I haven't, but I also have not had a chance to play with one for an extended period of time, on my own. I suspect there aren't any, but you never know.

• Very good ! It makes me think about selling my 25mm & 17,5mm Voigtlander to grab this combo. But Voigtlander are such a joy to use for manual focus... Can anybody post a picture of the lens on the GH3, please ?

• @kholi It was shot wide open at 90% of frames. I did not check SB color shift, but i do not feel it.