Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone tried this with a GH2 + speed booster? Most tests seem to be on the blackmagic. I really want to know if there's vignetting at 18mm or through the entire 18-35mm range or not at all.

On another thread McBob posted that some Nikon and Sigma lenses have mixed coverage: "Sigma 10-20 (full coverage) Nikon 10-24 (very slight corner darkening) Nikon 16-35 (corner vignetting throughout range) Nikon 18-200 (slight corner vignetting throughout) Nikon 17-55/2.8 (full coverage)."

Does anyone have a link to a GH2 test? Many thanks.

• just tried the speed booster and GH2 combo and yes, there is a vignette at 18mm. seems to go completely away by 21mm. not that bad though, it wouldn't prevent me from doing a wide shot if i needed it.

• Amazon UK just informed me my Nikon-mount f1.8 Sigma has shipped, so finally I guess stock has arrived in Europe. I will be shooting test charts before the weekend, both with and without the Speedbooster.

• So... who's gonna post a GH2 + SB + sigma video(frame) so we can all assess the vignetting ;)

• @dtr That will be me, as soon as mine arrives this week. Incidentally, Amazon dropped the price too...

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Lens for Nikon

Price on order date: £799.99

Price charged at dispatch: £649.00

Lowest price up to and including release date: £649.00

Quantity: 1

Total Savings: £150.99

• Will the auto focus work with the GH2 + speedbooster?

• thougts2uk , no.

• Could somebody tell me, where i can buy Nikon version of this lens? Only preorder everywhere now. Thank you.

• Mine just arrived from Amazon UK. Testing it soon with Speedbooster on my BMPCC, BMCC and GH2.

• Good luck with your testing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works with the GH2. Many thanks.

• Here's something I shot yesterday using the Nikon version of the Sigma f1.8 on a Speedbooster with the BMCC. I used REC703 (video mode), with no grading.

Frankly, it's not much better than GH2 footage I've shot before. I hope to do a side-by-side comparison soon.

• Today ordered a Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 Nikon mount and the Speed Booster Nikon G to MFT. Both orders arrive this tuesday! I will shoot some samples with the GH2 and GH3 then and post it.

• @SeekingHeartwood, is it possible to post anything with your combination of gh3 sigma and speedbooster. If I had BMPCC with almost 3x crop I wouldn't worry, but I have gh3, I'd like to see the vignette in anything, video or still.

• @ahbleza, do you recall what aperture and focal length were used for your footage?

• @starios yes, i finally got a chance to shoot a short film with it over the past 2 days here in long beach, i should be able to post some samples very soon

• @brianc1959 I was shooting quite wide. Aperture is difficult to judge with the SB since it doesn't show f stops, but I guess it was around f2.0. I think that focal length was around 20mm.

More samples will be available soon.

• ok, some samples, i shot a white sheet against a wall that was evenly lighted. i used both the GH2 and GH3, each one with the speed booster and sigma 18-25. first i shot video and extracted a still, and then i just took a picture with each. they are labeled accordingly. i hope this sufficiently demonstrates the minor vignette that occurs, draw your own conclusions.

lastly i included 2 stills from the halloween short i shot this past weekend. i used the gh3 with sigma and SB and both stills are uncorrected. the combo performed beautifully during the shoot with regards to both performance and handling. the focal lengths were perfect, the lens combo never left my camera.

GH2 SB Sigma Wall Video Still.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 168K
    GH3 SB Sigma Picture.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 274K
    GH2 SB Sigma Picture.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 289K
    GH3 SB Sigma Wall Video Still.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 175K
    GH3 SB Sigma Video Still 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 645K
    GH3 SB Sigma Video Still 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 682K
  • @SeekingHeartwood Thanks for that. Definitely helps to be GH3 on the video side. Those stills looks prime lens good. I imagine you were much closer to the subject on the clown then on the female shot. I'm amazed to see such narrow dof from his face to shoulders.

• yes i was much closer to the clown and the depth of field really gets shallow at close distances, even at a wide focal length. another thing i noticed that i don't see a lot of people mentioning, is that the speed booster changes the focus depth of the sigma. the min focus distance of the sigma is normally about 12 inches but with the speed booster the minimum focus depth is 4 inches, really useful for close up detail shots

• @SeekingHeartwood thanks for sharing those tests! But may I ask what focal length you shot it at?

• @SeekingHeartwood thanks too. Could you tell me when or if the vignetting disappears on the GH2? I've heard from 21mm. Much appreciated.

• i shot those wall tests at 18mm where the vignette was the greatest

on the gh2, the vignette is completely gone by 21mm

• @SeekingHeartwood thanks, your posts are more than useful, this is my lense :)

• You would hope at this price point it would have OIS. Still tempting none the less.

• First quick test with Speed Booster Nikon mount and Sigma 18-35 on a GH3. All wide open aperture

wiel.jpg
    1417 x 1063 - 1M
    close-up-wiel.jpg
    840 x 714 - 111K
    rood-boekje.jpg
    1417 x 1063 - 95K
    close-up-rood.jpg
    918 x 789 - 87K
    deur.jpg
    1417 x 1063 - 117K
    deur-close-up.jpg
    648 x 603 - 38K