Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • *** Update on moon T8 ***

Analysing footage from GH4 to see if there's anything that can be introduced into my encoder settings to improve further. Sorry for delay.

• @Kenshinn I'd go with a GH2. The hacks such as Moon T7 perform much better than a GH3.

Here are some test videos I've made with the Moon hacks and Drewnet. I prefer Moon over other hacks.

• @Jacekk Provide the graphs and compression details and I WILL prove you wrong.

• Yoo guys, I’m new here, but over the past few weeks i’ve read a lot on this forum. I want to buy a GH2 en put a hack on it. Now, the video’s with the moon hack (and other hacks) are really stunning!

But at the other hand, I’m thinking about to buy a GH3. I don’t have a lot of money, so my prefer would go to GH2.

Anyway, i was looking on the internet for GH2 en GH3 movies. And I saw this nice GH3 video:

and the same maker also made this:

I really like the videoquality. This is why I maybe want to buy a GH3. And my question now is: Is this quality possible with a GH2? ow Yeah and what about Philip blooms shortfilm: genesis?

• Video of an Eastern Slavic religious and folk holiday called Maslenitsa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslenitsa) Shot on the 1st of March 2014. GH2, Moon T7

• My niece attempts to climb a tree in cinematic fashion. Shot on a GH2 with Moon T7.

• Hey guys! Here by my latest trailer using moon t7

• @IVIaverick52 Thanks! Yeah Moon Has Incredible Details Blows My Mind. Lets Hope GH4 has better dynamic range and not just better resolution because sadly i'm pretty dissapointed from my gh2's dynamic range even with moon t7. LUCKY YOU GETTING A GH4 THAT SHOULD BE AWESOME! how much did you pay?

• @tatzu The details in the scenery look incredible! Best I've seen from any GH2 footage. That's definitely encouraging me to get some faster SD cards and switch to Moon from Drewnet. I'm going to be shooting several music videos for local artists come late Spring and looking at what you have, the GH2 should compliment the GH4 wonderfully (My preorder is due April 28th, let's see if that actually happens haha)

• @Jacekk What do you usually use for "long low light interviews"? What hack would you recommend?

• @dado023 No I didn't keep the bad ones, for lack of storage. I was doing them for myself to choose a codec for my work. It is very easy to do a similar test BUT do use a broadcast monitor to judge it. As has been pointed out here many times, you can't judge a compressed youtube clip on a computer monitor, unless that is what it is destined for as a final deliverable. It is why I said to each his own. By all means listen to other people's opinions buy always do your own test with your own equipment.

My needs are slightly different to most: I shoot many long interviews in low light so look for decent data rate for spanning and storage as well as clean video because it is for broadcast (I have many terrabytes of footage to store for my current project). In a static interview one is much more aware of noise in dark areas than in a camera/scene in motion which is why I said to each his own - it all depends on what you are using it for - I shot film for 45 years before switching to digital, and with film you understand there is an emulsion, an iso, a lens and a light for every situation - depending on what story you are telling. Digital is the same and that is the beauty of these versatile hacks. If I were doing a short bright crisp flashy little piece I would use Moon T7 because it is outstanding for high data rate but it is not the best by any means for long low light interviews, in my opinion....

• @Jacekk

do you have any samples we can check out?

• @paparak_ivi I have the same test results, made many times over. I only really shoot in low light and use FloMotion. Because of how everyone on this topic is so enthusiastic about Moon, at first I couldn't believe the noise in the blacks that I was getting with Moon compared to FloMotion so I repeated the tests at least 20 times - from my tests to my eye and in my opinion only FloMotion is clearly much better in shadows. But to each his own.

• @clkvang As a newbee, stick with the 23.976 patch. It's an awesome patch/hack. In addition to @BurnetRhoades comments: With Moon T7, 24H (23.976 frames per second) is now your highest bite rate setting on the camera at around 150Mbs. 24L is at around 70-80 Mbs (also 23.976 frames per second). HBR mode (which used to be your highest quality stock firmware setting) becomes a higher bit rate mode (around 70Mbs as apposed to the 28Mbs stock setting) but at 29.97 frames per second - also referred to as 30p.

24p (23.976 fps) is the standard Cinema frame rate. 30p (29.97fps) is the NTSC Television broadcast frame rate.

I know this is a bit confusing but you'll get the hang of it. Good luck.

• 23.976fps is the industry standard. If you're not syncing audio or doing professional post production or doing a film recording you're not hurting anything going 24.0fps but if you plan to exhibit like in a festival or work collaboratively you're better off just sticking with 23.976fps and not being "that guy" that's making the process more complicated than it needs to be.

24P cinema mode unless you're shooting slow mo, generally.

When you've updated your firmware with Moon or any other patch that's what you're using, there's no additional switch in a menu.

• Complete noob here (just got my GH2 yesterday), but I have a couple of questions:

Is there any benefit to shooting 23.976 fps vs 24p? Why the two different settings files for Moon T7? Also, when you shoot a video, do you guys use the 24P cinema mode or the HBR mode? How do you know you're using the settings from Moon T7 hack?

• @rezyserzycia Thanks. I used standard 14-42 with cheap CPL filter.

• Mr Drift - still loving your patches v BMPCC and other formats we've been shooting in personal projects - holds up and beyond still - even blagged em into several prime time BBC and CH4/Ch5 title shots shhh :) You've taken the codec and hardware to it's far limit, far beyond the manufacturers expectations. Probably last of the the homebrew good stuff we're going to see for a while, hats off to you inspiring a load of possible next gen shooters and pushing the makers into making the good new shit we're seeing along with Vitaly. Of course Voldermort claims it's ALL his idea but hey ho blog wars are funny. /chapeau

• @paparak_ivi what is the iso setting and did you avoid the iso bug?

• Hello everyone, I want to ask you something that makes me think that moon T7 a lot of noise in the dark areas against flow motion 2.02 given 2 shots below to compare

moon T7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 85K
    flow m.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 87K
  • Here is my latest Short. All shot with panasonic lenses on a gh2 with moont7.

Original Version

Alternate Soundtrack Version

• @driftwood Any info on T8 development. The test footage you posted looked great to me. Thanks for all your great work and settings over the last few years. I've got a project I'll be shooting in a few months and if budget stays low, I might still be on a GH2, so T8 could be the look I'm after.

(BTW - Intravenous v2 performed like a champ on our feature shoot. Great images. 20 days of shooting and only 1 error. Thank you for that.)

• Oops See Comment Below | V

• 45MB/s SanDisk Extreme 64 /128GB

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters