Personal View site logo
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

I think it is related to maximum file size - 4GB.

• Excellent job! I just did it to my two d7000 bodies. Only thing is that I can only record up to 24min & 18sec per clip even with a 32GB card in them. Anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

• is there any hack for D3100, to operate non-original batteries

• Hello everyone, I know that we should not write here, if nothing new has lead to the hack, but I come here every day, and I see that nothing happens, the Nikon D7000, and I find ca bad, because I feel that this device will n ever an update in 25 second picture, unlike canon which community develops new tools every day

and thank you to people who try to find the hack

• Hi everybody. I'm a nikon addict and D7000 video user and i'm soooooo sad when i see the Magic Lantern for all Canon DSLR or Panasonic Gxy Vitaly Hack ... Why it's not possible to have same possibilities on Nikon DSLR ? Hardware or Software limitations ? Too small community of developers ? No money ? Not enough testers ?

My wishlist is : Higher bitrate, 60fps, On-screen audio meters, Manual gain control, Zebra stripes (video peaking), Control of focus and 100% zoom (like Sony Alpha XX with the Trash button on video mode).

I think it's important to create a big great community of Nikon Video User (Nikon was the first to lunch video on DSLR with D90), Professionnals and others and create something ... great (like MagicLantern website)

• FYI - I've been shooting some initial real life footage with the D800/D800E and I realized that using DX crop mode during movie capture was a complete let down, at least with the built in encoder and also by looking at a broadcast monitor. It brings down the otherwise very good IQ level to an aliasing-fest dropping down below 720p detail and it doesn't help setting sharpness up/down in the camera profile either. Shooting with the D800E in FX mode was VERY sharp and detailed, I noticed no aliasing and moire is controlled in that sense you have to reach the point where subject detail matches the 36MP pixel array of the sensor, that'll give you some colour moire. I have to do some more shots and Nikon Nordic was interested and would pass this on "as they hadn't heard about this" yeah right... I work in a professional camera store and I do camera research on a rather technical level. I didn't find the D800E to be sharper than the GH2, rather slightly less IQ but DR is fantastic and the low light would be as well. Upon deciding for the D800 or the D800E I would definitely go for the E version, in any way. In stills mode it smokes. I'll try and gather some more findings later on, if I get time that is. Cheers from Sweden. :)

• Are there any plans for more small hacks on the D7000 firmware? For example the one button zoom 100% as on the D300?

(I hope at least it is a small hack...)

• Just need a hack for my d7000 that allow me higher bitrates on video, like GH2. Any hope?

• The patch was a necessity because you can't buy a 3k camera which can lock up. The one waiting will also be happy to get a camera does not have those problems.

If the mosaic filter is good on the D800 it will have some advantage on even the hacked gh2. It has some very good dynamic range in video mode. At least 12 from Samuel H who designed the flaat profile. It could get to 12.7 but with some noise reduction. The rolling shutter seems much better also and the clean hdmi brings high bitrate and 4.2.2. In the end for best dslr video, it could be on one side the D800/mosaic/ninja vs hacked gh3 if it at least brings better DR and rolling shutter.

• It's frustrating they already came out with a patch for the D800, and hundreds of people around the world have been waiting for months after ordering to receive one.

• BTW the sharpness of the D800 is on par with the gh2. Low light is much better.

• Both of firmware images use same encryption as other bodies.

So, I'll add simple patches for them to upcoming NTool v2.1

• Nikon D800 firmware update B1.01

• When a still image was captured while viewing existing images in playback mode, the monitor turned off, the memory card access lamp glowed steadily, and, in some rare cases, the camera ceased to respond to operations. This issue has been resolved.
    • When the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 was used with certain settings applied, RAW images were also transferred whenWireless transmitter>Transfer settings>Send file as was set to JPEG only. This issue has been resolved.
    • A dark shadow sometimes appeared at the bottom edge of images captured with Active D-Lighting set to any option other than Off with Image area set to 5:4 (30x24). This issue has been resolved.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52748

Nikon D4 firmware update 1.01

• When a still image was captured while viewing existing images in playback mode, the monitor turned off, the memory card access lamp glowed steadily, and, in some rare cases, the camera ceased to respond to operations. This issue has been resolved.
    • When network functions were used with certain settings applied, RAW images were also transferred whenNetwork>Send file as was set to JPEG only. This issue has been resolved.
    • When an option that utilized the main command dial was selected for Custom Setting f15: Playback zoom, and an image was zoomed in or out with playback with certain settings applied, shooting shutter speed, aperture, and exposure compensation settings were sometimes changed. This issue has been resolved.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52750

• First, congratulations for your great work! I am very interested in a higher bit rate for Nikon D5100 (at least 40Mbps). If possible, I wish to pay for this improvement. Do you think that this is possible to achieve in the near future? Thank you!

• @tetakpatak and other

Guys, this is not topic of GH2 fans (or haters). Check the title.

• @joesiv I agree with you- and that is exactly what I talk about. Just test all those cameras with the same lens and you will see yourself. GH1 and GH2 beat all Nikons in video features. It is not only about sharpness. Bigger sensors are great for stills, but not yet so good for 1080p video. GH2 is by the way also stunning performer for stills, but only if used in RAW and processed later.

• I agree, there is much more then just sharpness. But, the GH2 offers much more then the other cameras do with regards to available built-in "tools" for capturing good video. So there is reason to build upon that potential. The D800 would be something if they could open it up as well...im sure, but its not exactly a camera available to the "masses". With that said, I'd love to see more "options" being made available for the previous line of Nikon cameras... The D7000/D5100 I think are amazing cameras, but subpar with regards to the video side. Bringing higher bit-rates, frame rates, and video options to these cameras would be more beneficial to many more people at the moment. At least until Nikon releases a new line of consumer DSLRs.

• @tetakpatak, there is much more to motion pictures than just sharpness.

• @audiores I don't understand the reason why D800 should be hacked? Its video features are maybe not so great, GH2 has probably better video quality than both D800 and 5DmkIII and it is obviously sharper. D800 or 5DmkII+III are great for stills, but GH1 and GH2 are great for HD video. Thanks Vitaliy!!!!!

Updated Dec 20: meanwhile I became owner of Nikon D800, tried recently its video capabilities and I must admit it has amazing performance. Needs no hack except for nasty time limit. It has wider DR than the GH2, performs as good in low light, just beware of too high ISO settings.

• allright, i was asking if WE (that means me) should donate a D800 together with some other people, so a basic patching could be possible.

regarding the open source -- ok then i misunderstood the hacking approach.

• if we collect donations for a Nikon D800

I don't see where we collect donations for D800.

Otherwise, we do not use open source approaches.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev if we collect donations for a Nikon D800, would you guys find time to work on a basic patch? i am not asking for the full deal, but as there are some skilled programmers out there, i would love to see a basic start so other people can also invest brainpower and time to make a real nikon patch possible.

also, what do you think about putting the current efforts of github? it would make contributions much more easy, since we could fork and file a pull request if we have something new...

actually, using github would make sense for all the patches, their service is free of charge for opensource projects. http://github.com

• To work around the size limit, is spanning possible?

Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think. I doubt that it'll be done.

I mean, from a hardware standpoint, there's nothing in the way of that?

It is not hardware issue.

• Excellent work! To work around the size limit, is spanning possible? I mean, from a hardware standpoint, there's nothing in the way of that?

• @peterweter

Yep, hack works perfectly on the D7000. Recording is now limited by files size of somewhere around 3.5GB. Works out to 24 mins in 1080p HQ, more time as you reduce the quality/resolution - up to well over an hour. Camera will get quite hot on long recording, you may get an overheating warning but personally I haven't encountered one yet.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions