Personal View site logo
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • @opsx

Look at FAQ here (look at top menu links), just replace URL to download firmware from.

• Is there any hope 25/24p for Nikon j1/v1?

• Nikon J1 V1 - 720p 120fps :-) Or even 100 fps.

Its already got an excellent 400fps 640x240

• Hi, is there a chance of removing the "original battery" check in the firmware in D5100 etc. models ? We would be able then to use 3rd parity batteries and save us lots of money ;-) That would be great.

• Hello, I would be very glad If you will manage to change RAW(nef) d5100 to lossless, just like D7000 has. Its very importent when you trying to take a snap of sunset or another scenes which needs high dynamic range. Standart compressed RAW(nef) D5100 loses informations in highlights.

• @macmanar: you won't gain anything from uncompressed. See: http://blog.micahmedia.com/2011/06/24/bit-depth-part-2-of-3/

I was shocked to find that even the "lossy" compressed raw held no less information. Fact is that these sensors still put out less than 12bits of DR.

So please devs, unless it's a really easy switch to flip, extra raw settings should not be a priority, since they are pretty much useless. The default configuration in this regard captures all that the raw mode can and gives you the best buffer performance. Anything else is just unnecessarily slow and takes up more space on the card. It's a sales feature on the upper cameras, not a practical one.

• Micah: There is no diference between loosy and loosles, but only in ordinary situations. Try to shot sunset and you will see diference, loosy compresed raw will lose informations at recovery highlights.

• Did anyone try this hack? I like to remove the video time restriction but I an hesitant to ruin my D7000.

• bump.

Anyone?

• @peterweter

As far as I know many tried it. But I do not have Nikon bodies now, so did not tried myself.

• @peterweter

Yep, hack works perfectly on the D7000. Recording is now limited by files size of somewhere around 3.5GB. Works out to 24 mins in 1080p HQ, more time as you reduce the quality/resolution - up to well over an hour. Camera will get quite hot on long recording, you may get an overheating warning but personally I haven't encountered one yet.

• Excellent work! To work around the size limit, is spanning possible? I mean, from a hardware standpoint, there's nothing in the way of that?

• To work around the size limit, is spanning possible?

Ideally it is possible, just requires rewrite of firmware parts, I think. I doubt that it'll be done.

I mean, from a hardware standpoint, there's nothing in the way of that?

It is not hardware issue.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev if we collect donations for a Nikon D800, would you guys find time to work on a basic patch? i am not asking for the full deal, but as there are some skilled programmers out there, i would love to see a basic start so other people can also invest brainpower and time to make a real nikon patch possible.

also, what do you think about putting the current efforts of github? it would make contributions much more easy, since we could fork and file a pull request if we have something new...

actually, using github would make sense for all the patches, their service is free of charge for opensource projects. http://github.com

• if we collect donations for a Nikon D800

I don't see where we collect donations for D800.

Otherwise, we do not use open source approaches.

• allright, i was asking if WE (that means me) should donate a D800 together with some other people, so a basic patching could be possible.

regarding the open source -- ok then i misunderstood the hacking approach.

• @audiores I don't understand the reason why D800 should be hacked? Its video features are maybe not so great, GH2 has probably better video quality than both D800 and 5DmkIII and it is obviously sharper. D800 or 5DmkII+III are great for stills, but GH1 and GH2 are great for HD video. Thanks Vitaliy!!!!!

Updated Dec 20: meanwhile I became owner of Nikon D800, tried recently its video capabilities and I must admit it has amazing performance. Needs no hack except for nasty time limit. It has wider DR than the GH2, performs as good in low light, just beware of too high ISO settings.

• @tetakpatak, there is much more to motion pictures than just sharpness.

• I agree, there is much more then just sharpness. But, the GH2 offers much more then the other cameras do with regards to available built-in "tools" for capturing good video. So there is reason to build upon that potential. The D800 would be something if they could open it up as well...im sure, but its not exactly a camera available to the "masses". With that said, I'd love to see more "options" being made available for the previous line of Nikon cameras... The D7000/D5100 I think are amazing cameras, but subpar with regards to the video side. Bringing higher bit-rates, frame rates, and video options to these cameras would be more beneficial to many more people at the moment. At least until Nikon releases a new line of consumer DSLRs.

• @joesiv I agree with you- and that is exactly what I talk about. Just test all those cameras with the same lens and you will see yourself. GH1 and GH2 beat all Nikons in video features. It is not only about sharpness. Bigger sensors are great for stills, but not yet so good for 1080p video. GH2 is by the way also stunning performer for stills, but only if used in RAW and processed later.

• @tetakpatak and other

Guys, this is not topic of GH2 fans (or haters). Check the title.

• First, congratulations for your great work! I am very interested in a higher bit rate for Nikon D5100 (at least 40Mbps). If possible, I wish to pay for this improvement. Do you think that this is possible to achieve in the near future? Thank you!

• Nikon D800 firmware update B1.01

• When a still image was captured while viewing existing images in playback mode, the monitor turned off, the memory card access lamp glowed steadily, and, in some rare cases, the camera ceased to respond to operations. This issue has been resolved.
    • When the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 was used with certain settings applied, RAW images were also transferred whenWireless transmitter>Transfer settings>Send file as was set to JPEG only. This issue has been resolved.
    • A dark shadow sometimes appeared at the bottom edge of images captured with Active D-Lighting set to any option other than Off with Image area set to 5:4 (30x24). This issue has been resolved.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52748

Nikon D4 firmware update 1.01

• When a still image was captured while viewing existing images in playback mode, the monitor turned off, the memory card access lamp glowed steadily, and, in some rare cases, the camera ceased to respond to operations. This issue has been resolved.
    • When network functions were used with certain settings applied, RAW images were also transferred whenNetwork>Send file as was set to JPEG only. This issue has been resolved.
    • When an option that utilized the main command dial was selected for Custom Setting f15: Playback zoom, and an image was zoomed in or out with playback with certain settings applied, shooting shutter speed, aperture, and exposure compensation settings were sometimes changed. This issue has been resolved.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52750

• Both of firmware images use same encryption as other bodies.

So, I'll add simple patches for them to upcoming NTool v2.1

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions