Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • I'm hoping to find a way to enable shorter periods of time for the Monitor-Off Delay which automatically turns off Live View after a certain period of time. Currently, the shortest duration for the D800 is 5 minutes - Canons by comparison go down to 1 minute delays. Since its simply modifying a timer, I would imagine that if there are hacks available to firmware for the D800 this wouldn't be all that difficult. No real new feature or anything overly complex aside from creating/decrypting the firmware.

My reason for wanting this is that I have underwater housing built for a D300 which fits the D800 perfectly. I can turn video record on/off by changing the shutter release button function via custom settings menu, however I have no way of accessing live view on/off control. The Monitor Off Delay is a solution, aside from the fact that I have to wait 5 minutes (burn a ton of battery) for the live view to turn off. If I could lower the delay duration for the Monitor-Off delay, using the one button I have access to (shutter release) I could turn on live view, start record, stop record, then let live view turn off on its own.

Anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

• Read through all posts here and curious that there's no mention from anyone else and given Vitaliy's interest in post production, for changing the automatic bracketing from Nikon's consumer standard of 3 frames to their "pro" only standard of 9 frames. Can't shoot HDR lightprobes for VFX with only a bracket of 3 frames and changing it to 9 or like Canon's "pro" standard of a bracket of 15 seems like it should be a trivial hack to the firmware?

• hello what about the hack of the nikon d7000 is dead ????

• I'm with mikus, has the idea been crushed? I own a d7000 and half tempted to sell it. If it was to be hacked I may reconsider.

• Nope, it is not dead.

I'll update hacks as soon as I'll have time.

• Is it possible to hack Nikon D5100 firmware in any way to enable manual exposure settings in video recording?

• @octoberqueen No, the D5100's exposure settings haven't yet been hacked. But check out the third post in the thread below for a technique that enables you to manually set both aperture and shutter speed and lock them down for video recording:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/1195/nikon-d5100-compared-to-panasonic-gh2/p1

• thank you Vitaliy_Kiselev and good luck

• Interesting proposal from @jacdan regarding timelapse issue.

From my point of view, I'm very curious if the time limit removal will be possible for nikon D600. Are there any hopes for that? Is it possible to donate to make that easier to investigate?

I'm using my gh2 a lot, but vert glad there is some work going on with other brands aswell :) Thanks for all the efforts!

• I really hope the D600 is going to be hacked

• Hi ,Vitaliy_Kiselev , Does your Ntool support D800 FirmWare ? I hacked D5100 battery authentication several days ago ,D800 will be next one.

• Vitaliy,i have been looking for TOSHIBA TX19A plugin for IDA PRO , no result yet , your help is appreciate very much .

• Is the plugin downloadable there ? IDA PRO 6.3 is too expensive to afford.

• Hey,

I have just bought the Nikon D3200. Does the hack for the D3100 work for this camera ?

• @mjonas67
    how about start to read this topic from the first post onwards?

• Again, just asking about the D7000. I'm planning to sell it and buy a GH2, however if there is a possibility for a bitrate hack, then I would love to stick with the larger sensor, and ergonomics that I'm fond of.

Like previous commenters, I would also be happy to pay or donate for the time invested in this hack. Please could you leave a comment on whether or not you're any closer to developing a bitrate hack for the D7000?

Thank you for your work so far.

• The Nikon D5200 seems like it might be a viable camera for filmmaking. I am sure that Vitaliy is busy working on a GH3 hack right now, but might this be a worthwhile project in the future?

• FYI - in the D5200 thread Lpowell hinted at a Nikon 'tweak' that he will put in beta soon. I have no idea what it is or when it will go public - but maybe we can badger him for more info.

• @last_SHIFT I saw that too. Fingers crossed.

• Guys, D5200 firmware still not available, so @LPowell meant somethign different.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I read @LPowell to mean he had a D5100 patch in the works.

• I don't know so much if it's a patch specifically for the D5200 - but perhaps some picture profile tweak.

• I would dearly love to see a patch for the J1 that enabled metering with a dumb adapter. In the J1, I finally have a camera that will let me mount this 16mm/0.78 I've had around forever, but the manual mode is just so badly implemented on the J1.

It seems like this is "just" bypassing the lens check, but I'm pretty far from an assembly coder. :)

Anyone working on the Nikon 1 cameras?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions