Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @feha The only thing I can suggest is to shoot without auto-focus. Actually, you shouldn't need auto-focus anyway when shooting from a car with a wide angle prime lens, like the 14mm.

• @Ralph_B, sure, i just wanted to stress it out, to be a 100% sure it is stable in all situations ...

• I have installed the Sanity 5. but I have a doubt, in the ptool have increased by 2 the number in the section 'Enter increment', originally this patch come marked with 1. I did well?

Thanks!

• sanity 5 failed spaning at 720p 3200 iso lumix 14-42 lens, the recording just stopped after 13:29, few days before it worked flawless 4 hours with same setup

• Should the firmware on my GF2 show up as v1.1 (so it does after the hack) or as v0.0 (like on GH1s)?

Just want to be sure that everything worked out fine. It seems that the 29.59 min border has been removed (time remaining is shown by 1 hour 4 min) and I also have got all the languages (that I don't need BTW... forgot to uncheck).

Would would you say?

edit: I went through this whole hacking process using this great tutorial including the vids:

http://pixelphile.blogspot.de/2011/06/gh1-how-to-hack-guide.html

Did I get it right that the firmware uses autmatically the tweaks and setting used in the actual patch - here: Sanity 5? For instance: if I choose PAL for video the gF2 or better its new firmware chooses automatically the 50p mode? And when switching to NTSC it uses 60? Is that right?

I'm just trying to understand the functionality of those hacks tweaking the firmware.

• @MountainKing "if I choose PAL for video the gF2 or better its new firmware chooses automatically the 50p mode? And when switching to NTSC it uses 60? Is that right?"

That is exactly correct. It seems many first timers are uncertain whether they actually applied the hack. One way to find out is, if you check Maximum ISO limit removal in ptools, the ISO's above 3200 in the camera menu won't be grayed out.

• @oneday As subco suggests, try dropping the ISO down. Even going down just one notch to 2500 may make all the difference.

• Thanks Ralph.

Yes, ISO 6400 isn't great out. I can choose it. So it seems that it worked out fine.

• @ duartix I read your comments to the -very sharp- concert fotage. But I did not find with which format you fimed. 25h, HBR, 1080i, 720p? I am interested to know. Thanks

• @AKED: In the post with the video: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/60589#Comment_60589 right below the video where it says (EDIT). OR as an alternative just search this page for: (edit)

• quick grab off the camera

ARTWALK200001.MTS.Still001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 667K
  • Lot's of info in the "edit" Duratix's, thanks for that but doesn't list format, HBR, etc :-)

• Suspense only adds excitement to the drama ;)

• @ duartix Like Tambo, I read the edit before I send the last mail and it states nothing about the video format. So again the question : Did you film in 25h, HBR, 1080i or 720p?

Thanks for the answer.

• Hey Aked, don't Tambo with Rambo... haha.

• @ Rambo Sorry for the typo, I wanted to write "Tango with Rambo! :) But back to topic.

• @Rambo & @AKED Sorry, I was using was 24H.

• OK, thanks duartix. Really very sharp.

• I've expected from Sanity 5 bitrate of HBR (customer asked 25p) about 44Mb/s , but I got on high detailed scene with Lumix 7-14mm @f/5.6 about 24Mb/s, and at scenes with very shallow DOF @Nokton 25mm @f/1.4 about 18Mb/s. Little confused about overall quality, image not looks closer to any 24p footage. And I think if more bitrate can help to improve it. Yes, I know 25HBR at interlace container not looks shine, but I would feel better with bitrate real 44 Mb/s or 66. May be possible to change VBR to CBR withSanity 5 settings? Second problem was 4-5 freezing hang out (on wedding dance party at garden) and so sad I was unable to save about 4-5 clips with message about slow cards!) It was low bitrate and fast memory cards. I shot it with 2 GH2 with Sandisk 64gb 95 MB and Sandisk 32gb 30MB - on both bodies with different cards and lenses happens same problem.

• I tried Sanity 5 the other day. The only problems I had were that I was shooting in trees and pine needles looked very blurred while everything else around looked OK and that the footage would not play in camera. It would start, freeze and then stop.

• This may have been done already, but a buddy of mine borrowed one of my GH2 bodies, which was hacked with Sanity 5. I think it was Nikon lenses he used. Hopefully this helps someone. The noise in the blacks and the blue are present in the original file.

• To those who are concerned about bitrate: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Sanity 5 runs extremely effiecently. It only uses as much bitrate as is necessary for the subject material. This can vary quite a bit depending on what you're shooting. If you feel more comfortable seeing higher bitrates, use Sanity 4.1.

• @Ralph_B

Nothing new here. I just wanted to tell you that I was totally suprised by your Sanity patch this week! V4.1 gave already very low bitrates in my (static scnene) footage from Portugal (aprox. 15mbs) and looked beautifull. V5 suprises me even more! I shot 2 scenes with stock firmware and your V5 patch. V5 rendered much cleaner footage with lower bitrates than stock settings!! Here are the grabs and stream png´s. Thanks for all the hard work! Settings: vibrant -2, 0,-1,-2,

pls dwnl. original .MT2 file for proper judgement.

Sanity V5 stream.png
    746 x 398 - 34K
    Stock firmware stream.PNG
    746 x 398 - 37K
    Stock GH2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Sanity V5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • With all due respect, in your example, left part looks slightly cleaner/sharper than the right part. I wish the two cameras were rolling simultaneously, though - water reflections and sky is different between the samples...

• @mo7ies Because i use vibrant -2+1-1-2 settings the stock firmware gives overly sharpenened footage and much less natural curves and blending in high contrast area's like the bridge side wooden frames in contrast with the water. The movement of the water is also far more natural @ the right side in the original footage (v5). I have also shot close-ups from trees and Sanity v5 gives much more detailed and less blocky and highlighted footage.