Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, downloaded Handbrake but unfortunately it won't load Cineform Neoscene AVI files. I also have the Avid DnxHD codec installed on my machine, but for some reason it's only available to me inside After Effects ( not Premiere...?) AND I don't know what settings to use in it either.

Will try the PP settings from above to see if there is any appreciable increase in render quality directly out of Premiere.

Sorry if this derailed the thread, dont want to take anything away from this great patch!

• @tcarretti

It's OK. I'm learning from this little interchange, as well.

• A few hours at the zoo, 2 GH2s both running SANITY 5.

• @kent What was your shutter speed? Thanks.

• @mo7ies 50th, HBR25 see end of movie.

• @kent Thanks - I thought so. Not to derail this topic, here's the link to another one discussing unnatural strobing of GH2 imagery with 180deg shutter:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/58392#Comment_58392

• I'm not sure this shows off Sanity 5 but I was doing some test shots to see how it grades with a little motion (which it does very well) but for some reason I decided to remove every other frame from an ungraded clip. I wanted to get the Private Ryan look. Sanity handled that like a champ too.

• @peternap The effect you're going for is done by using a high shutter speed, not by dropping frames. Use a shutter speed of 250 or greater. The idea is to elliminate motion blur. Exactly what shutter speed to use is determined by how fast the subject matter is moving. Obviously, a little experimentation is in order to get a feel for it.

You can see an extreme example of this in the Sanity tests in the first post. I used a 2000 sec shutter to freeze the whip pan.

• I'll give it a try Ralph, but I was just playing. I doubt I'll ever use it. On a more realistic note, I used Sanity 5 a lot at the farm yesterday. Nothing really great. I got a few bear pictures but was using the 7D but I got some truly breathtaking macro's with the GH2 using my Nikkor 55mm micro lens and Sanity 5.

There may be some instances where the higher bitrate patches have an advantage, but in most cases, especially in 720P, Sanity is just the thing.

That's sort of a long winded way to say Thanks!

I'll post some later. I have to take my wife to Mothers day dinner now.

This is a quick screen grab http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/liz2.jpg?t=1336933131

another http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/liz.jpg

• Hey Ralph, thanks again for the patch.

I got macro blocking "mud" on some fast/whip pan shots the other day in 720 kit lens indoor high iso. Just wondering what the peak bitrate is on sanity 5 and is it possible to up it without disrupting the patch too much for greater quick panning fast movement buffer?

cheers.

• @MRfanny It's not a good idea. Raising the bitrate beyond what it is, also raises the likelyhood of getting write errors. As an alternative, I suggest using Sanity 4.1.

• Ok thanks ralph.

So 4.1 has a higher bitrate threshold than 5 yes? I use 720 mainly for fast motion shots. Was previously using 4.1. Is 5 geared towards IQ v efficient file size and not motion?

• @Ralph_B How hard is it to add thepalalias audio hack to 5 Ralph?

• @subco Thank you Sir!

• I haven't been following this - what exactly does the audio hack do?

• Thanks subco, i'll check it out

• @Ralph_B It improves the audio abilities of the camera Ralph, which are pretty bad. I almost always record secondary audio on an H4n and sync it, but there are times I'd like to skip that. It's included in a lot of Driftwood's settings now and I think it's in M6 also.

My question and what I want to test today, is will it take enough of the processor resources to cause lockup during extreme shots.

• @subco Thanks, it loaded fine!

• @peternap - I'm also curious about the specifics. Stock GH2 audio is actually the best I have heard so far on a DSLR, why do you think it is "pretty bad"? Clearly, one would not use it as a master track, unless it's a total emergency. Anyway, what mods are applied to the stock GH2 audio with the patch?

• The_palias setting for audio give a very nice clean and crisp audio.
    It have no negative influence on avchd settings...

• FYI....I used the audio hack / sanity 5 on a LONG (1 hr 40 minutes ) event shot non-stop this past saturday, at the lower bitrate 1080i......I was able to feed sound from an un-balanced mic out from my wendt x3 eng mixer, and even got good tone levels at Level 1....the audio was perfect and it looks like it may end up in a spot by NBC nightly news in a couple of weeks.....audi was pretty close to perfect...used sandisk extreme 32 gb 45 mbps cards

• heres a pic of the gh2 I used .....using a canon b4 2/3" lens with powered servo zoom , 7-120 mm

Lumix with 2x.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 85K
  • @sinfafun B4 zoom - which model exactly? How did you power the zoom motor? How's the IQ? I assume it did not cover the sensor so you shot in ECT mode.

• @Mo7ies Try a 5DMKII with Magic Lantern (Which has it's problems but the audio is good) and you'll see the difference pretty quickly. Most DSLR's have bad audio, my 7D is horrible mostly because of the AGC. The GH2 is worse, very little responsive range and for some reason, it seems like the nodes go backwards instead of to the target. At times, it's even hard to sync with Pluraleyes. The mics are junk on the GH2 and the hack won't help that, but it's a simple matter to plug a decent mic in.

Hopefully, this will improve it some. Since I haven't tried it yet, I'm not sure what it will change. The hack is on Palias website. Take a look there for the specifics.

@Mozes Thanks! @sinfafun Good to hear it held up out of the mixer. That says a lot. What mic were you using? I was thinking of trying either my Sennheiser MKE400, Rode Videomic pro through my Juicedlink or just the old Videomic stand alone.

• @peternap - I agree, 7D's audio is garbage. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised with GH2 - incredibly well done AGC, you don't even "hear" it work. Very solid, good quality audio out-of-the-box on GH2. Maybe you have a malfunctioning audio on your copy?