Personal View site logo
Cheap 10" 1024x600 monitor with battery and HDMI input
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • as there are multiple common aspect ratios of anamorphic adapters & lenses, maybe it would be possible to create a list here, or maybe, for konsta, to put in some kind of user-input where we can type in desired stretch /aspect ratio. i can see this option used in a lot of cases :)
  • Hi Konsta
    In another thread I asked for a monitor which can desqueeze 2x anamorphic images. Vitaliy wrote, that your monitor could do that with a modification.
    How would this work and would it be a selectable option?
    If you can do this for me I will order a monitor instantly.
  • >Some guys in China they don't believe that the signal of GH1 can not be HDMI out real-time.

GH1 do not output signal via HDMI for monitoring purposes.
    Only in playback time.
  • Hi, guys, Here I ask for some photos
    It is when you use the 10'' HDMI monitor to help focus, yes, just take your photos like
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/61/tvlogic-vfm-056wwp-monitors#Item_1
    the picture of when working together. (the camera is GH1 or GH2)
    Some guys in China they don't believe that the signal of GH1 can not be HDMI out real-time.
    Would you pls show that?
  • 4 years will pass very quickly :)
  • >Yeah... tablets w/ mini-HDMI input would be great. Also a dozen of apps that can record video signals in real time w/ peaking, zebra, 1:1 mapping. Also a placeholder for extended USB battery pack. Hmmm...

Fantasies, fantasies.
    None of the CPU for tablets allow anything of this.
    May be in next 2-4 years :-)
    New Atoms, for example and Ion 5 with DirectCompute.
  • Yeah... tablets w/ mini-HDMI input would be great. Also a dozen of apps that can record video signals in real time w/ peaking, zebra, 1:1 mapping. Also a placeholder for extended USB battery pack. Hmmm...
  • >This panel is in our company stock, for a UMPC(tablet computer)'s use.

What are you waiting for in this case?

>I think that Samsung and LG is not easy for us to purchase.

My understanding that this is your real chance, as I see hundreds of companies producing cheap Tablets.
    While small hdmi monitors niche is not very large, it is growing steady each year and still have plenty of space for manufacturers. Especially if you improve your case, controls and software :-)
  • This panel is in our company stock, for a UMPC(tablet computer)'s use. I think that Samsung and LG is not easy for us to purchase.
  • Here I ask for some photos
    It is when you use the 10'' HDMI monitor to help focus, yes, just take your photos like
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/61/tvlogic-vfm-056wwp-monitors#Item_1
    this do. And change the camera to GH1 or GH2
    Would you pls?
  • >How about this one? 280 bright

Resolution is good.
    Otherwise it is typical cheap TN panel with small angles and such.

Try to search for IPS (by LG) or MVA (by Samsung) small panels.
  • Hi Mr Chan,
    5.6 or 7 inch 720p monitor also my choice.if you can make something that size it will be very popular.
  • The 8.9 inch panel sounds great. Later I will talk to our research department. Now the 9'' is using a 800*480 resolution panel.
  • Apparently Konsta's 10.2" screen is only 220, so not much difference. But brighter would be better of course.
  • That panel needs an inverter as well as the brightness(200nits) is not good enough for daylight viewing unfortunately.
  • I found a 8.9" true 16:9 1280x768 panel that may be suitable for Konsta's existing 9" design:

Specificiation
    Model HT089WX1-100
    Made Hyundai
    Screen size 8.9
    Resolution 1280 x 768
    Brightness 200
    Contrast ratio 400
    Color display 262K
    Viewing Angle(T/B/L/R) 30/30/10/20

eg. this guy on Ebay has it: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-9inch-Hyundai-TFT-LCD-HT089WX1-100-1280x768-/290557896926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a699a8de#shId

Note he also has a 4.8" 1024x600 500nits panel, pretty sweet for portable use.

I think I'll go for the 5.6" 720p panels for myself though.
  • Mr. Chan do you have any news of firmware improvements for this monitor?
    Improved battery?
    Or 1280x800 panels?
  • Hi, everybody, this is Viner Chan from Konsta factory. Glad to meet you.
  • Ok, I get it. Duh, what was I expecting for 100$?:) So it's best to just leave the factory settings and not bother. What do you think about sharpness and focusing?
  • > Basically, I am asking if this monitor is useful for anything other than focusing and composing/previewing shots such as exposing.

if you want to use any monitor for color settings or accurate exposure you need to calibrate it.
    And under it I mean at least 10 point calibration.
    I do not know even $1500 monitor that can do this.

Look at TVLogic - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/61/tvlogic-vfm-056wwp-monitors#Item_1 .
    It is best monitor for under $1500 and still have some problems with color accuracy and no calibration.
  • I received my 10" monitor and I'm having a bit of a difficulty configuring the image settings as accurately as possible:contrast/brightness/saturation/color temp etc. Also, Even though sharpness should be all the way down, should you want to be accurate, I'm not sure if turning it up has any benefits for focusing, kinda like peaking. Most important for me is getting the most faithful look, because the GH2 screen is more accurate compared to the konsta when I look at both, meaning that it's impossible to judge exposure on the external. For instance, there is hardly any shadow detail,they are all crushed; and when I dialed the contrast down, that didn't help, the entire image went greyer and even worse. Probably I'm asking too much though from a 130$ monitor right? the thing is I've never used expensive portable monitors so I have nothing to compare my perspective. Basically, I am asking if this monitor is useful for anything other than focusing and composing/previewing shots such as exposing.
  • Actually if we're talking custom controller boards, I would _really_ like a stereoscopic one, capable of accepting two HDMI inputs (L & R from two separate cameras) and outputting them on a single display: 1) vertically interlaced, to turn any display into an auto-stereo one (it's easy to DIY a barrier film on inkjet transparencies), 2) red/cyan anaglyph.

Both options would enable you to view 3D on a single display. The anaglyph option is useful even without glasses, as it's much easier to judge stereo alignment / deviation when both views are coloured.

I'm a programmer with tons of graphics experience, the software would be easy for me - unfortunately I don't know enough electronics to build a board. Anybody want to collaborate?

Right now my only stereo monitoring option involves two displays and a beam splitter, making the 10" screens particularly oversized & heavy. That's why I was looking at the 5.6" 720p panel option (also because I need something portable and lightweight).

EDIT: ... actually, it wouldn't need to be a full LCD controller board. Instead it would just require 2 HDMI inputs, a frame buffer for each one, and another a single HDMI output. A processor would then generate an interlaced/anaglyph composite view from the two inputs. Anybody know how this could be built?
  • I investigated putting together a small HDMI to LVDS converter board for use with generic LCD panels but unfortunately the cost in small quantity would be greater than just getting one of these chinese panels, and that's without the battery, case, etc.

I'd really like to see a 720p capable(1024x768 netbook panel?) 7" panel with only a HDMI input and interchangeable battery for around 100-150$. I think that if a company were to piggyback orders for LCD panels with those going to a netbook manufacturer, the sheer volume would make these LCDs very cheap.

I don't think I need to mention that I think those would sell like hotcakes to the DSLR and low budget camera market if not other markets