Personal View site logo
Cheap 10" 1024x600 monitor with battery and HDMI input
  • Here (Alibaba express shop, shipping directly from manufacturer):

Around $80-85 shipped.

https://ru.aliexpress.com/store/product/10-inch-16-9-DVBT2-DVBT-digital-analog-mini-led-HD-portable-TV-all-in-1/803292_32531683701.html

My review:

From hardware standpoint long time ago it was good cheap LCD screen for movie makers.

Processor : MST719DU-LF LCD : CLAA102NA0ACW (1024x600 resolution, LED backlight) Battery : 7.4V 2300mAh

Two speakers and headphone output (with good metal socket) to check sound. I don't go to tuner, USB input, SD card player, etc as it is not very important here. To be short, you can check your JPEG files just by inserting SDHC card. But you better not to.

Image quality:

Average for portable devices. I like the colors (only for specific LCD panel used, later ones seems to be worse). Unit has ability to set color temperature (four presets, not VGA it is adjustable very precise) and many other parameters for HDMI input. Menu can be set to be almost transparent and position can be adjusted.

From software standpoint it is not all good. First. HDMI connection must be slightly improved by manufacturer. I suggest to set HDMI format to 720p60 in GH1 menus (as this works fine most of the time). Sometimes GH1 go to 2-10s cycle trying to establish HDMI connection (turn modes wheel to go out of this and try again) on 1080i or auto modes. Same happens with my HD cameras. After all screen flashes it starts to work fine. Second and most important. Unit has small overscan. So, framing is slightly off and also sharpness is not perfect (but ok for focusing). Using VGA it don't have any overscan, so it is firmware related HDMI only thing.

My unit is mounted on telescoping arm.

I really suggest to check much better monitors at

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/717/special-deals-lighting-fresnels-evfs-monitors

• 69 Replies sorted by
  • Do you know if this is the glossy or non glossy version, also, have you heard anything about if/when the newer version with software updates will come out?
  • >Do you know if this is the glossy or non glossy version, also, have you heard anything about if/when the newer >version with software updates will come out?

Glossy, they sold all non-glossy some time ago.
    Just buy non-glossy screen protection in store near you.

About new version - I do not know.
    I hope that Vincent will provide some info here soon.
  • just ordered one. it's a good deal. can't beat 100$. And I absolutely hate focusing on the GH2 screen, so im looking forward to it. wish I could afford a smallHD though... Kind of random but do you know if the current cheap gh2 batteries on ebay are any good? Also, the first vendor to make GH2 battery grip will be rich!
  • I just ordered one as well - they're back at $104 with shipping. Because I feel like I've read conflicting info, can someone describe the experience with one of these on the GH1? Can the monitor be used for framing/focusing during recording (AVCHD 1080p24), or just playback afterwards? I intend to get a GH2 at some point so it's not a huge loss if it won't work on the GH13, but it would be nice.
  • Hi every one ,
    I have question about playback of this monitor. Can this monitor playback AVCHd files from GH2, from SD card. Or can we watch movies from usb stick or Sd card?
  • >Can this monitor playback AVCHd files from GH2, from SD card. Or can we watch movies from usb stick or Sd card?

Of course, not.
    It can only play SD videos, divx, etc.
  • for longer shooting times I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-18000mAh-Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-/130499122642?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item1e625a95d2

I know it's overkill in a way, but it seams like a beast, and I want to take it to the back of the shoulder rig for extra counterweight. The problem is i'll need to design a DIY solution so that it's mountable on rods. And then figure a way to power GH2 as well. It's also great portable solution to power these cool konova 500 LED lights that draw 30w and take 12v: http://cgi.ebay.com/500-LED-Dimmer-Battery-Pack-Video-Photography-Lighting-/140538290755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b8bc2243
    . Any thoughts?
  • @stefanos

I do not know.
    I suggest to look for 600 and 900 LED models instead, they are better.

• No one's used this monitor with the GH1?
  • >No one's used this monitor with the GH1?

if there is an answer out there, it's in there. If I remember correctly, there are some mixed results. But I don't think it's good companion to GH1 but I may be wrong.
  • Yeah, I read that thread. Was just hoping to get a more conclusive answer here. Thanks though (Vitaliy mentions the GH1 a few times in the main post above, so...)
  • kind of sidetracking. VK, I checked the 600 LED lights and they are indeed much better http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120716219884

but I need portability with battery and there ain't no way i'm paying 150$ for 1 v mount battery. Any cheap powering solutions to go with these, or do I have to go with the 500 LED to use cheap 12v batteries?

by the way, my leadstar monitor is arriving tomorrow. can't wait!
  • >Yeah, I read that thread. Was just hoping to get a more conclusive answer here.

GH1 has no live output via HDMI. And composite output is of no high quality.
    Plus sometimes Leadstart behave strange with my GH1.
  • > kind of sidetracking. VK, I checked the 600 LED lights and they are indeed much better

They produce different versions for different batteries, I know that Panasonic anf Sony version exists.
    Plus all of them have XLR connector, so you could make cable to attch your own battery.
  • > *GH2* has no live output via HDMI.

You mean GH1 right?
  • >You mean GH1 right?

Of course :-) I fixed original post.
  • I've been thinking about breaking down and getting one of these. There doesn't seem to be much else on the market in the same price range. Mr. Chan has never replied on when the non-glossy panels are coming back though. Any thoughts?
  • Same here, I've been investigating the DIY 5.6" 720p panel option. I found a small HDMI controller that sounds good on paper, but a complete kit (screen, controller, keypad & cables) is quite costly, and would still require a custom case of some kind. I'd want something light , thin & compact so it'd have to be plastic based, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Those damn 10" screens are just so big, but I might get them anyway. Non-glossy would be best though ...
  • I investigated putting together a small HDMI to LVDS converter board for use with generic LCD panels but unfortunately the cost in small quantity would be greater than just getting one of these chinese panels, and that's without the battery, case, etc.

I'd really like to see a 720p capable(1024x768 netbook panel?) 7" panel with only a HDMI input and interchangeable battery for around 100-150$. I think that if a company were to piggyback orders for LCD panels with those going to a netbook manufacturer, the sheer volume would make these LCDs very cheap.

I don't think I need to mention that I think those would sell like hotcakes to the DSLR and low budget camera market if not other markets
  • Actually if we're talking custom controller boards, I would _really_ like a stereoscopic one, capable of accepting two HDMI inputs (L & R from two separate cameras) and outputting them on a single display: 1) vertically interlaced, to turn any display into an auto-stereo one (it's easy to DIY a barrier film on inkjet transparencies), 2) red/cyan anaglyph.

Both options would enable you to view 3D on a single display. The anaglyph option is useful even without glasses, as it's much easier to judge stereo alignment / deviation when both views are coloured.

I'm a programmer with tons of graphics experience, the software would be easy for me - unfortunately I don't know enough electronics to build a board. Anybody want to collaborate?

Right now my only stereo monitoring option involves two displays and a beam splitter, making the 10" screens particularly oversized & heavy. That's why I was looking at the 5.6" 720p panel option (also because I need something portable and lightweight).

EDIT: ... actually, it wouldn't need to be a full LCD controller board. Instead it would just require 2 HDMI inputs, a frame buffer for each one, and another a single HDMI output. A processor would then generate an interlaced/anaglyph composite view from the two inputs. Anybody know how this could be built?
  • I received my 10" monitor and I'm having a bit of a difficulty configuring the image settings as accurately as possible:contrast/brightness/saturation/color temp etc. Also, Even though sharpness should be all the way down, should you want to be accurate, I'm not sure if turning it up has any benefits for focusing, kinda like peaking. Most important for me is getting the most faithful look, because the GH2 screen is more accurate compared to the konsta when I look at both, meaning that it's impossible to judge exposure on the external. For instance, there is hardly any shadow detail,they are all crushed; and when I dialed the contrast down, that didn't help, the entire image went greyer and even worse. Probably I'm asking too much though from a 130$ monitor right? the thing is I've never used expensive portable monitors so I have nothing to compare my perspective. Basically, I am asking if this monitor is useful for anything other than focusing and composing/previewing shots such as exposing.
  • > Basically, I am asking if this monitor is useful for anything other than focusing and composing/previewing shots such as exposing.

if you want to use any monitor for color settings or accurate exposure you need to calibrate it.
    And under it I mean at least 10 point calibration.
    I do not know even $1500 monitor that can do this.

Look at TVLogic - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/61/tvlogic-vfm-056wwp-monitors#Item_1 .
    It is best monitor for under $1500 and still have some problems with color accuracy and no calibration.
  • Ok, I get it. Duh, what was I expecting for 100$?:) So it's best to just leave the factory settings and not bother. What do you think about sharpness and focusing?
  • Hi, everybody, this is Viner Chan from Konsta factory. Glad to meet you.