Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap 10" 1024x600 monitor with battery and HDMI input
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • konsta, i just found a photo of the monitor in use: http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/38/170622638_full.jpg i dont know if it helps you. greetings
  • I needed a monitor for a shoot coming up next month so I bought one of these. We'll see how it works. They do have the matte version back on the website though.
  • > Rock paintings - this is that unite all people. Let's use this approach :-)

I've just found yet another controller that doesn't letterbox 16:9 on a 16:10 panel correctly - so I've drawn a rock painting ; ). Feel free to distribute (non-commercially only).
    16-9on16-10panelFirmwareBug_v2.jpg
    800 x 968 - 146K
  • Did you ever see a 7'' panel at ratio 4:3, pixels 800*600?
  • Me? No I haven't, but I've only been looking at 16:9 panels.
  • Ok so I got to use this panel on a real movie shoot.

Pros:
    Lightweight

Battery lasted a lot longer than I had expected it to

Bright *enough* for outdoor work(it could be a lot brighter)

Useful for general framing and so dolly/grips can watch something

Worked in high humidity and high heat/sun without any electrical problems

Cons:
    Hardly any warning when the battery dies

Sometimes it just would not sync to the camera. I had to power both down and back up and then it would connect.

Image is not the same framing as the camera LCD. there is area lost on all the sides. I would have rather had letterboxing than this.

Image color/contrast/brightness is not even close to what the camera sees regardless of settings. Everything is much darker. Moving the settings up causes strange lines and colors to appear.

The overall picture quality is much worse than normal downrezzing from HD to SD usually is.

Not really usable for most focusing work

• >Hardly any warning when the battery dies
    >Sometimes it just would not sync to the camera. I had to power both down and back up and then it would connect.
    >Image is not the same framing as the camera LCD. there is area lost on all the sides. I would have rather had letterboxing than this.

All this issues are connected to monitor firmware.
    Unfortunately manufacturer did not do anything despite clear description and promises to fix them.

>Image color/contrast/brightness is not even close to what the camera sees regardless of settings. Everything is much darker. Moving the settings up causes strange lines and colors to appear.

You can't expect match until you are able to calibrate monitor.
    And sad thing is that monitor calibration depend on lighting temperature and brightness level.
    Other sad thing is that it seems that manufacturer is using any panel that he can find.
    So, your part about color and contrast can be different for different batch, I think.

>The overall picture quality is much worse than normal downrezzing from HD to SD usually is.

What do you mean under "normal downrezzing"?
    It's main problem is closely related with framing, making accurate framing will improve sharpness.
    But it is not very bad anyway.

>Not really usable for most focusing work

I use it for focusing.
    But if you are using focus pulls frequently you really need to invest in best monitor you can afford .
  • hi, on konsta's shop now the old monitor is gone, there are many differnt new ones, but the information is very confused.
    most of the models are numbered as 966, but with different prices and different specs.
    sometimes there's written a generic hdmi input, sometimes 1080p, sometimes 720p, although the model is always the same!
    there's also another model, named 1088, again with generic hdmi input.
    so, what's the correct one to have 1080p input?
  • I bought this monitor for my T2i at first I could not get it to work. But with thanks to A1ex and Magic Lantern "Build August 17th" it now works. Still needs a little fine tuning which I am sure will happen. (working in it now) But what do you expect for nothing.
  • I bought this, and I don't think it's worth it. The framing is off by a lot, and although it is 1024x600, the picture seems pretty soft, so it doesn't help much with focusing. Better than nothing, but I wish I had spent about $300 on something with peaking.

• +1 It has a very bad screen, awful colours, I sold it....

• @AmandaNL

Yep, it is not recommended as it had been in a time. Plus they constantly changed used LCD panels. So, first ones had normal color and not a bad screen.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I think people realize that you can't get a completely accurate view except on a calibrated monitor. But people are saying it's not even close. Some of the Marshall monitors that I have, while not 100% accurate, are pretty darn close and can be relied on. It sounds like that is not the case with this monitor.

• @blazer003

You checked my message directly above, right?
    I alreayd told that this guys had bad habit of changing panels.

• I was thinking of buying the Leadstar 10" to replace our broken teleprompter. It seems to have the 1/4" mount we need. Wondering if it has a way to rotate the screen in the menu?

• @sk810

I think that they do not have it.

I really suggest to visit pandawill.com and get good modern Android tablet instead. Unless you need hdmi input.

• Need hdmi or vga for the teleprompter. That might not be a deal breaker since I think the software we use can flop it. Thanks.

• I'm also looking for a better monitor for getting better focus on my GH2. Would you recommend a 7"? Looking at this one since it has peaking. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2012-Best-Seller-7-hdmi-monitor-for-Camera-5D-II-7D/808853_509047849.html

• We have one on deals from time to time, with peaking and 1024x600 res. I'll add it to monitors deal topic tomorrow.