Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • A quantum X Orion V4 SkinTone Test

• @driftwood. Nick, in an earlier post you mentioned that if 1080i60 & HBR go long GOP instead of GOP1 then 24P won't be an intra. If that is true then how do you explain the following scenario. During my testing, I replaced my Seaquake 24p with the Orion 24p settings. As for 720p60, 1080i60 and HBR 1080p30, I used Ralph-B's Sanity with FSH/SH at 44mb and FH/H at 28mb. I tested all NTSC settings including your MJPEG settings using my Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 card. All the setting worked with no problems including spanning of 24h and HBR (format the card in camera first). Your settings and Sanity worked independent of each other with no impact from Sanity which is long GOP to Orion which is iframe only. I verified that in the Streamparser. I checked all the bit rates and they were correct (24H=140mb, 24L=76mb & Sanity including HBR ranging from 15 - 45mb depending on the detail). BTW, I used Panasonic 14-140mm and 100-300 including ETC mode with zooming all the way and panning. Subject of my shooting was a freeway traffic which I was filming from 1/4 mile away and a golf course with people practicing in the range. For Sanity settings I used SCN/Sport mode and 24P standard film mode with ISO 160. Of course, I haven't tried any death charts yet.

EDIT - one change I made to Orion was to change the AQ=3 instead of 4. That helps in spanning for some reason. On Sanity 720p60 I changed the AQ=0 (all to motion) for smooth motion in fast panning.

• Hi guys has anyone experienced this message "Motion Recording was cancelled due to a limitation from the writing speed of the card" with Orion 24H and 16gb Sandisk 30/mbs. I can only get about 2min chunks, which for me is fine for music vids and narrative work.

• @driftwood I'm thankful for your work and not to add any more pressure that you already have onto yourself...:p But are you planning to transfer over seaquake to a v1.1 quantum x? I know you've been focusing on the max 154 bitrates but what about the older 176 bitrates? Thank you, I hope i'm not prying to much.

• @Mrrikyxxx and everyone You are right sir basically the Brighton boffin has opened a GH2 can of worms - if you want it to work use recommended cards i.e. the 95 Meg ones - full stop - still chuckling at the quality you lot have rinsed out of this little box bravo.

• @kingmixer I'll do a closer comparison this week. I think the best test would be a still shot comparison between the two. But my guess is you would notice a difference in the original footage, but probably not much on Vimeo since it's been cut way down in bits per second... the ultimate equalizer.

• @driftwood Your patch are AMAZING!!! Thanks @rikyxxx Grazie! la patch di towi la sto già usando...volevo solo capire se sbagliavo qualcosa o se c'era modo di avere una medio/alta qualità per lo spanning con le patch di Driftwood. Aspetterò Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris per fare altri test! :) Grazie anche per la risposta in italiano!

• @5thwall Hey thanks for sharing the video. I couldn't really notice a difference between the L or H mode. Did you notice a difference in the camera or in the file pre-vimeo?

• @5thwall Brilliant example of perfect skies with Orion. :-) Some really nice shots there mate, Well done.

• @driftwood

Actually, if people want EVERYTHING to work just use stock settings. Achieving higher quality, Intra, etc... is probably going to be detrimental to some camera setting - somewhere along the line. But as Chris Brandin has said in the past, with the right death chart or high detail subject matter you can still bring down the stock settings of the codec and get failed recordings. Ive said this time and again, its very difficult to please everyone. Take two or three settings (on separate sd cards) with you on a shoot - that way you can get everything right.

What you just said should be displayed by Ptool, on starting, as a sort of "disclaimer message" :-)

• Here is the test I just did with Orion. Focusing a lot on the sky. Might have slightly overexposed a shot or two here or there. Color corrected a few to see how it would fare. Did a great job.

Main purpose of the test was to check difference between 24H and 24L. As mentioned earlier, 24L spanned on my 30MB/s card.

I think 24L looked great. Excellent choice when you need to span and still maintain quality.

• @plasmasmp What amazed me about your film most of all was when the cannon fired you barely shook your camera, steady hand under fire!

• @driftwood Thanks so much for all your work, and yes, that is really good advice.

• @rikyxxx Good answer. Actually, if people want EVERYTHING to work just use stock settings. Achieving higher quality, Intra, etc... is probably going to be detrimental to some camera setting - somewhere along the line. But as Chris Brandin has said in the past, with the right death chart or high detail subject matter you can still bring down the stock settings of the codec and get failed recordings. Ive said this time and again, its very difficult to please everyone. Take two or three settings (on separate sd cards) with you on a shoot - that way you can get everything right.

• @helycobatter

Quello che @driftwood vuole dirti è che Orion (ma anche rocket v3) è una patch fatta per ottenere la massima qualità d'immagine, anche a costo di sacrificare lo "spannaggio".

SpanMyBitchUp invece dovrebbe spannare, ma la realtà è un po' più complessa perchè alla fine tutti i modi tranne 24p sono difficile da far spannare.

Se per te lo span è essenziale prova l'ultima patch di towi (trovi info su un altra discussione iniziata qualche ora fa) o aspetta Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' (info sul primo post di questa discussione).

• @helycobatter, Ciao, Orion è tutte le qualità - lavoro per cercare di ottenere che attraversa questa "fissazione" non era la mia priorità. Se funziona, grande, se non che, la vita!

Orion is all out quality - attempting to get spanning working for this 'setting' was NOT my priority. If it works, great, if not, that's life!

• Quantum X Orion

• Hello, i'm new here... and first of all: THANKS. GH2 + Lumix 14mm + SanDisk 32gb/95mb.

ROCKET v3 > 24H spans fine! (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 56.9 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 152 Mbps)

HBR not span! (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 36.8 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 147 Mbps)

ORION v4 > 24H not span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 117 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 152 Mbps)

HBR not span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 93.1 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 147 Mbps)

SpanMyBitchUp > HBR don't span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 63.3 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 98.1 Mbps)

Ok, with Orion's patch the problem is my sd card, but why 24H setting spans, HBR doesn't? >(Rocket v3) Which is the best patch to use HBR with span?

sorry for my bad english i'm an italian boy!!!

• Everybody on this thread (and the low GOP thread) has gone towards developing my Quantum settings. So everybody has helped achieve these settings. :-) Thanks to EVERYBODY, Nick.

• Just did some Orion v4 tests and can confirm that there was spanning at 24L on a Sandisk extreme 32GB 30MB/s card. Results from Orion tests (unrelated to spanning) are uploading now to Vimeo. I'm calling it "Oscar Sunday with Driftwood in Hollywood."

• I see why! Image quality is outstanding. I'll shoot more restricting myself to manual. Thanks for all your work (and VK and all the rest of the tireless coders/testers.

• @jam I pretty much always use manual exposure Im afraid.

• Quantum X Orion 14-140, shutter priority, IS off, standard -2-2-2-2, ASA 200, shutter priority, continuous focus, slow pan of moderately complex scene - SDXC 64G Sandisk card, got card speed limitation error at ~ 30 sec, started recording again and locked camera up requiring me to pull battery. Same scene yesterday with brighter light, ASA 160 and manual mode, no lockup. Interesting. Great quality when it records!

• MMMmm, 'ß Pictoris' sounds good for me also...

• @cinemon

Oberbaumbrücke! :D

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions