Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @touviere7 I'm finding that transcoding first seems to be what Media Composer likes best as well. But wasn't there supposed to be an AVCHD plugin available?

@Re9d The 10-bit X settings are probably overkill considering the GH2 is only 8-bit. But I try to keep to the higher DNxHD resolutions. This is, of course, project dependent. And I used to vary it based on the hack/patch I was using but now I stay in the 115 to 175 range.

Heck, I'm just happy to see some fellow Avid folks lurking around here.

• quantum x v3 test an hour in cazal uploaded in 720p due to connection problem. watch it the vbr patch rocks!!!,...

• The AMA AVCHD Plugin http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=419715 I generally import at DNxHD 120 .. for web projects I will work as low as 36.

MC6 comes only with QT as AMA, everything else you have to download a plugin for AMA Here is the link to them all http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Media-Access/plug-ins

And import after AMA mount is faster than straight import .. everything I say is based on Windows 7

Kevin

• @sebben You'll be needing 'ß Pictoris' read about it on page 1 of this thread.

• Here is a cinematic edit that I did earlier today after downloading the v4 hack. I wanted to give it the Cinema Quality look that I felt I would see in a movie so here it is.

• It did not embed in the last post but here is the link!

• @cinemon

Oberbaumbrücke! :D

• MMMmm, 'ß Pictoris' sounds good for me also...

• Quantum X Orion 14-140, shutter priority, IS off, standard -2-2-2-2, ASA 200, shutter priority, continuous focus, slow pan of moderately complex scene - SDXC 64G Sandisk card, got card speed limitation error at ~ 30 sec, started recording again and locked camera up requiring me to pull battery. Same scene yesterday with brighter light, ASA 160 and manual mode, no lockup. Interesting. Great quality when it records!

• @jam I pretty much always use manual exposure Im afraid.

• I see why! Image quality is outstanding. I'll shoot more restricting myself to manual. Thanks for all your work (and VK and all the rest of the tireless coders/testers.

• Just did some Orion v4 tests and can confirm that there was spanning at 24L on a Sandisk extreme 32GB 30MB/s card. Results from Orion tests (unrelated to spanning) are uploading now to Vimeo. I'm calling it "Oscar Sunday with Driftwood in Hollywood."

• Everybody on this thread (and the low GOP thread) has gone towards developing my Quantum settings. So everybody has helped achieve these settings. :-) Thanks to EVERYBODY, Nick.

• Hello, i'm new here... and first of all: THANKS. GH2 + Lumix 14mm + SanDisk 32gb/95mb.

ROCKET v3 > 24H spans fine! (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 56.9 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 152 Mbps)

HBR not span! (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 36.8 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 147 Mbps)

ORION v4 > 24H not span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 117 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 152 Mbps)

HBR not span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 93.1 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 147 Mbps)

SpanMyBitchUp > HBR don't span. (MEDIAINFO > Bit rate: 63.3 Mbps - Maximum bit rate: 98.1 Mbps)

Ok, with Orion's patch the problem is my sd card, but why 24H setting spans, HBR doesn't? >(Rocket v3) Which is the best patch to use HBR with span?

sorry for my bad english i'm an italian boy!!!

• Quantum X Orion

• @helycobatter, Ciao, Orion è tutte le qualità - lavoro per cercare di ottenere che attraversa questa "fissazione" non era la mia priorità. Se funziona, grande, se non che, la vita!

Orion is all out quality - attempting to get spanning working for this 'setting' was NOT my priority. If it works, great, if not, that's life!

• @helycobatter

Quello che @driftwood vuole dirti è che Orion (ma anche rocket v3) è una patch fatta per ottenere la massima qualità d'immagine, anche a costo di sacrificare lo "spannaggio".

SpanMyBitchUp invece dovrebbe spannare, ma la realtà è un po' più complessa perchè alla fine tutti i modi tranne 24p sono difficile da far spannare.

Se per te lo span è essenziale prova l'ultima patch di towi (trovi info su un altra discussione iniziata qualche ora fa) o aspetta Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' (info sul primo post di questa discussione).

• @rikyxxx Good answer. Actually, if people want EVERYTHING to work just use stock settings. Achieving higher quality, Intra, etc... is probably going to be detrimental to some camera setting - somewhere along the line. But as Chris Brandin has said in the past, with the right death chart or high detail subject matter you can still bring down the stock settings of the codec and get failed recordings. Ive said this time and again, its very difficult to please everyone. Take two or three settings (on separate sd cards) with you on a shoot - that way you can get everything right.

• @driftwood Thanks so much for all your work, and yes, that is really good advice.

• @plasmasmp What amazed me about your film most of all was when the cannon fired you barely shook your camera, steady hand under fire!

• Here is the test I just did with Orion. Focusing a lot on the sky. Might have slightly overexposed a shot or two here or there. Color corrected a few to see how it would fare. Did a great job.

Main purpose of the test was to check difference between 24H and 24L. As mentioned earlier, 24L spanned on my 30MB/s card.

I think 24L looked great. Excellent choice when you need to span and still maintain quality.

• @driftwood

Actually, if people want EVERYTHING to work just use stock settings. Achieving higher quality, Intra, etc... is probably going to be detrimental to some camera setting - somewhere along the line. But as Chris Brandin has said in the past, with the right death chart or high detail subject matter you can still bring down the stock settings of the codec and get failed recordings. Ive said this time and again, its very difficult to please everyone. Take two or three settings (on separate sd cards) with you on a shoot - that way you can get everything right.

What you just said should be displayed by Ptool, on starting, as a sort of "disclaimer message" :-)

• @5thwall Brilliant example of perfect skies with Orion. :-) Some really nice shots there mate, Well done.

• @5thwall Hey thanks for sharing the video. I couldn't really notice a difference between the L or H mode. Did you notice a difference in the camera or in the file pre-vimeo?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions