Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood when it comes to film-like quality, which settings would you prefer? Quantum 9b or Quantum x v4 Orion?

.....before I forget, your work is world class! ;)

• @cinemon Ta! Quantum 9b uses the Panny GH2 stock matrix - its overtly sharpe rendering profile settings useless apart from -2! Orion and Rocket use the AVC-Intra matrix is smoother so you can up the pic profile settings. More Matrices are coming though...

• Low-light test at ISO 3200 running GH2 Driftwood Quantum X (v4 Orion)

• @driftwood so besides the sharpness there are no other differences?

• @driftwood many thanks! thats so easy :)

Last quick question before I do this, I have been using a few hacked 1.10 firmwares, so I have been incrementing the firmware version in my camera, I went from GH2__V10 to V11, V12 up to V14. Now when I use the new V1.11 firmware, do I need to continue from the previous increments, which should now be called GH2__V15, or do I start a new increment, which means GH__V12?

Thank again for your help.

• @xyxyxzxz you can do either or. As long as it is greater than the original firmware (ie GH2__V11) you are good. You can even use the same one over, you can just name it GH2__V12 every time you save a patch if you don't care about keeping the old ones. As long as the saved file is greater than the loaded firmware it will work.

• Saturday I used the Quantum X v3 The raw footage looks incredible! Had no problems, I used the 64Gb 95 Sandisk. Uploaded it in my ongoing project and did some grading :-) 0 - 34 sec is v9b 34 sec - 2:15 min quantum x v3 Rocket 2:15 - 2:53 min is v9b 2:53 - 3:18 min quantum x v3 Rocket 3:20 - end TimeBuster time-laps

Many thanks for Vitaliy and Driftwood!

• @driftwood haha, yes, that shows how over tired and dumb I am at the moment, it never occured to me to try and change the sharpening in the picture profile. Just tried a couple of shots with different profile settings, all look pretty good. I wasn't expecting to notice much difference tbh, but it does seem to improve things quite a fair bit. Will do more proper test shots tomorrow morning, once I've slept and the brain works again, but all looks good so far.

• Nice work @AmandaNL nice compositional shots. Love the timebuster stuff too :-) Thanks @Stray - I wanna see those tests! :-)

• So... All in all, what of these new Driftwood patches is the best one? Is the CBR version going to give you the best quality, or is the variable bitrate going to give you better quality and save quite some cardspace since it adapts to the situation?

What I'm saying is, is the constant bitrate worth the cardspace?

• @Adde Horses for courses, save on cardspace with Rocket, or get continual quality without having to worry on Orion! So, its upto you guys to decide.

• .Ziet er top uit.
    Real nice done amanda, smooth panning...

• Thanks! (Dank je)

• Thank you for everything @driftwood! Orion is great but the freezing at 720p is a downside, is there an easy way to make 720p work? (I'm using 64mb 95mb/s)

• @davidhjlindberg freezing at 720p ? How long in? High detail?

• @AmandaNL This makes me miss The Netherlands, but also reminds me how gray it can get in the winter!

• @driftwood Immediately after hitting the record button this message comes up: Motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the writing speed of the card.

The screen freezes and I must take out the batteries. No matter if I choose NTSC or PAL. This is SH, H works fine.

But also, the screen turns black every now and then, even in 1080 24p...

• Hi there! I'm new here and all tnx for the hard work to Vitaliy Kiselev and @Driftwood. I just tested Quantum X "SpanMyBitchUp vb2" on my GH2, SanDisk extreme 32Gb, 30Mb/sec and there is a small bug on this patch. When I shooting in HBR mode, after 7min and 21 second camera stop to recording and also in 720p/50 but after 21 min, always at the same time. I tried on a few SanDisk cards, same problem. Any sugesttions. Thanks and greetings from Croatia!

• No errors, just stop recording??

• @cubrun interesting figure on the stoppages always EXACTLY at the same duration time? Also, could you tell me is it always a static shot of THE SAME subject matter?

• Hey guys, I shot a commercial this weekend with Orion. Looks awesome. The full commercial will be up in a few weeks. I attached a shot converted in 5DtoRGB and a slightly corrected shot.

Quantam Orion_Fire.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Quantam Orion_Fire_slight CC.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @Greek_m43 VERY nice - I like the lighting on the hair as well.

• @davidhjlindberg What sort of subject matter are you filming with 720p? @Greek_m43 Good work. Be nice to see the final commercial.

• Suddenly new MTS files can't be opened in Premiere Pro 5.5. All manual settings, IS off, smooth -2, freshly formatted card etc. Seems to work well, but can't record with either v3 Rocket RC or v4 Orion. This seemed to follow stoppage yesterday recording with v4 Orion followed by need to remove battery. Also reset camera - will try again. I'll boot into Windows and post Streamparser grab. Any thoughts appreciated....

• @jam Shouldnt stop the ability to record. Sounds like a different problem than Quantum settings. The need to remove battery after a failure is standard procedure on failed recordings.

It sounds like a problem elsewhere. Also DOUBLE CHECK you have the correct ptools, firmware etc... See Page One of this thread (Q&A section) top of page. Report back. Thanks.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions