Personal View site logo
PTool v3.64d topic
  • 197 Replies sorted by
  • Got latest PTools 3.64d 190212, v1.1 firmware. Not getting any bitrate changes on my files. all coming out at 35-40Mbit/s, and the my 20 second test footage file sizes are all about the same size. Using same PTools 3.64d 190212, I loaded v1.0 firmware, and bitrates are now proper. Tried this with Driftwood Quantum 100 v3, Quantum50 v1 and Quantum100 patches. They all work properly under v1.0 firmware. Under v1.1 firmware bitrates do not change.

• Fantastic News! I am having issues however but am sure they will be resolved.

I just upgraded to the new ptools and tried a basic hack, like the one for 42mbps highlighted on this website.

I have a 32GB SanDisk 45MB/s ExPRO card but after some movement (shutter 1/50 in manual mode) screen says

" motion recording has stopped due to limitations of writing speed on the card " or something to that effect

the AVCHD files that I do capture look amazing though, so I hope this motion ordeal can be fixed

Thanks for the help

• I have new versions of 'Cake' PTool settings for PTool 3.64d and the v1.1 firmware image, supporting HBR 1080/25p and 1080/30p at up to 50 or 60 Mbps, posted in the GH2 constant quality topic.

• @balazer where exactly can I find it on that topic site?

• I took test shots on my firmware version 1.1 and 1.0 on 50p 50 Mb

1.0 - average bitrate of 48 from 50. 1.1 - average bitrate of 23 from 50

This is a new feature of the encoder is 1.1 or a bug?

• 42mb 25p gop6 , pretty stable i'm willing to go higher =)

• Please, remind me the best safe class6/10 settings: 44/32 Mbps, default GOP, What about AQ for 720 p, - AQ4 or AQ2?

• *** NEW *** Vitaliy has just released an updated version of the recently released 3.64D dated 20.02 available by right-clicking https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software and saving the file to your computer. Make sure you're signed in to personal-view ;-)

This updated version of the originally released 18.02.12 ptools 3.64D, incorporates 'switch on and record' 720p modes WITH B frames allowing you the b-frame prediction method which previously proved troublesome - even for Panasonic to implement!

This update allows you to switch on B frames by selecting the Encoder Setting 1 720p = 3 found under the 'AVCHD Movie Mode/External Encoder Settings patch and utilise the B frames option already found in 1080p24 and 1080i recording modes.

In the past the only way you could record with B frames on this ptools patch was to record first under a different REC MODE like 1080p24 or 1080i for a few seconds and then switch to 720p mode and record. If you didn't do this you were met with an immediate record failure. Vitaliy's workaround now gets round this 'little technical hiccup' with some new code.

NOTE: The patch 'Encoder Setting 1' controls GOP frame parameters. Selecting any of the Encoder Setting 1 patches to = 1 ensures stable i frames (without rogue P frame) for a GOP setting of 1. Setting this to =2 ensures only i and p frames are used in the GOP (GOP must be => 2), and finally setting it to =3 establishes i, p and b frames are used.

Below is a STOCK GOP setting which demonstrates the new patch and which will work on the GH2 and GF2.

ptools_200212_graphic.png
    378 x 649 - 35K
    Driftwood 66M- 35M Stock GOP all with B frames v1 - setd.zip
    630B
  • Just out of curiosity. Is there 720p30 advantage over 1080p30 on GF2?

• @driftwood 66M-35M Stock GOP set 720p50 I didn't stressed it much, but it's better than stock. And Yes, no error when shooting 720p first.

Driftwood_StockGOP_720p_with_b_frames.jpg
    1293 x 678 - 190K
    stock_gop_720.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Wow great news. I guess it is back to the drawing board with the settings though. This looks promising.

• I can confirm as well that b-frames are now working in 720p. There are no issues that I could find for recording with b-frames. I am not convinced yet that it actually improves quality as the P and B frame values look low.

But at least we have the option to experiment with it now.

• @stonebat

No 1080p @ 30 FPS in the GF2 will always be more desirable than 720p @ 30 FPS. I think the GF2 also only does the ETC crop in 1080p mode right?

• Pardon this really stupid question but why does anyone use 720 instead of 1080? Surely it's not full HD?

• @Mark_the_harp For SloMo? Becuase of higher fps?

• @mark the harp slow motion

• Bam! The holy grail! 720p50 with B-frames! Thank you thank you thank you!

Regarding questions about why people shoot 720p:

I actually ONLY shoot 720p. It already contains more visual information than my Canon 550D 1080p AND also double temporal resolution. Now that B-frames are there, I can keep the bitrate around "reasonable" 30-40-tish Mbit/sek and still get killer IQ. Great!

It has been beaten to death before, but B-frames are IMHO a good thing. They make codec more effective so you can use bandwidth for more detail stuff. Now if Panny could implement CABAC instead of CAVLC it would be the icing on the cake. But I recon poor little CPU wouldn't be able to it...

Anyway, this is just great!

• Are these wonderful bitrates also possible for the GF2? Please could you always write on which Camera you get this results. Thanx

• @driftwood I would like to test your STOCK GOP patch but i cannot find 3.64D dated 20.02? The link in your previous post doesn't work. THX!

• @valdi99 @chancy Thanks guys - that clears up the mystery! Appreciate your answers.

• @Mark_the_Harp - Most Nat Geo and Discovery shows (we shoot a lot) are still shot with the tape based varicam shooting 720p, but 720x960 (compared with GH2s 720x1280). The audience really doesn't care yet. Someday, we hope! (rewatch Planet Earth, Life, Etc - All 90% tape based 720p varicam... and graded beautifully)

• @mpgxsvcd GF2 has ETC on 720p. Cool.

• @ishvar Go to first post of this toppic and you will find it. It is updated. I downloaded it from there.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions