Personal View site logo
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • I'd just add to the translation that "slappt" means more closely "Released" than "Made". I point this out since if it was "made" that may not mean it's released. They could be holding on to the update for some reason.

But he infers that the update is out there.

Of course released could mean released to some internal panasonic group not the public.

So we can conjector away. This is all taking an inordinate amount of time to get to the public I think. And who knows who this guy is anyway?
  • If you look over at the GX-1 thread and what it says in the specifications on Panasonic's site.

It has both MP4 at 1080p30 and 1080p25 as well as AVCHD at 1080i60 and 1080i50

I'm starting to seriously think that this new firmware for the GH2 will have these options too, "suitable for editing video" and the comments from the Panasonic rep all fit
  • > this question comes from mr Peder Fylling Maele

small world. I appreciate the "mr"
  • So, got an answer from Panasonic on the question if we'll get 4:2:2, 10-bit on the GH2.
    "It is currently unknown".

Whatever that means...I think it translates to "No but we won't tell you why not either".

Or maybe they're just observing the market and may or may not throw it out there if Canon and all should press the standard.
  • If the (speculative) new mp4 mode doesn't span then I can't see it being much use to me. Nevertheless, I can't understand why it shouldn't - is it really more difficult to implement MP4 clip spanning or is it just about market segmentation? Can the GX1 span both AVCHD and MP4?
  • @jimbojones

Only real hope is that they have updated FAT to exFAT, Panasonic did license exFAT from Microsoft back in 2010- so they do have plans. Otherwise MP4 mode would have to 'span' just like AVCHD (Don't think anyone would know if it could do that). However- considering @VK's current successes - spanning on High Quality is a no-no anyway! exFAT would be the only conclusive solution.

There is little to no info regarding MP4 and GX1 spanning (maybe PM a youtube poster that has one?)
  • @ alcomposer - thank you for the hints - apparently on the GX-1 continuous recording exceeding 4GB is not possible when recording MP4, yet it can do upwards of 70min in one take in AVCHD.
  • If you're reading this thread Panasonic... and you enable 4:2:2 HDMI output. I'll buy TWO more GH2's. :)
  • 'To extract 25p video from the GH2 post-official firmware update you will do a similar de-interlacing / pulldown as on the original PAL GH1.'

You won't have to if you're a PAL user
  • I don't want to cheer before actually using it, but --- Weeehooo!!
  • Thank you Pana!
    But hey, wait a minute: "...it will _likely_ unlock the 25p sensor mode" :)
  • 1080i PSF is the exact same thing as 1080p @ 25 or 30 FPS depending on PAL or NTSC. There is no deinterlacing required at all for PSF. If they give us 1080i/25 PSF then all PAL users should rejoice. That is what you have been waiting for.
  • @EOSHD is inccorect when he says you will need to deinterlace the 1080i PSF like you do with the GH1. Telecined content and psf are different. With 1080i/24 you have a true progressive source. However, you have to extract the fields in the correct order to get that progressive source. That is why it needs a form of deinterlacing.

With 1080i psf you simply edit or play it as 1080p @ 25 FPS and there will not need to be any addition processing required.

You can test all of this already. Just download the files from a GF2, GF3, or G3. They all use psf.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgf3/page11.asp

http://s3.amazonaws.com/movies.dpreview.com/panasonic_dmcgf3/minimode01.MTS

http://s3.amazonaws.com/movies.dpreview.com/panasonic_dmcgf3/water05.MTS
  • Personally I am also hot after 'anything' that gets 422 out of this cam.

My list (if anyone at Panasonic is listening)- (ps: we will all buy 5 GH2's if you do everything below)

1) HDMI *clean* output- inc. exteli
    2) PAL
    3) Internal MJPEG or MP4 422 recording

(That is seriously the end of my demands- no crazy 4k or RAW stuff- just simple stuff now- the three points above would change the world of cameras seriously!)

Single handedly every production house could then buy GH2's as B-C-D cams without issues whatsoever!

Think about the revenue Panasonic! Just think!

(also if VK fixed HDMI I believe he would probably be able to retire with all the donations!) :-D

• @alcomposer

If someone could get the GH2 or any camera for that matter to write 1080p @ 24 FPS RAW then that would be all we would need. What MB/sec would be required for 1080p @ 24 FPS RAW? Is that more than 1 GigaBit/sec?
  • Even professor X would struggle with RAW
  • Red does 4k and 5k RAW. I know it requires an $8K video card but my laptop can handle 2K uncompressed so it must be possible.
  • So if EOSHD is right, that means that the new mode is ONLY for PAL users and there is no change for any other users.

No MP4 or 422 for us I suppose.
  • @mpgxsvcd ....sense of humour failure.
  • Panasonic has stated that the new mode is designed for easier editing. I still believe the mode is actually MP4 and not AVC-HD. There is nothing about 1080p @ 25 FPS AVC-HD that is easier to edit.

I believe that NTSC cameras will get MP4 1080i @ 30 FPS PSF and PAL users will get 1080i @ 25 FPS PSF.

• @itimjim

? No humor involved in that post.
  • Memory price is falling. Sandisk 16GB class 10 was $100 in this Spring. It's $25 now. Less compressed clips look better and are easier to edit if drive read speed is fast enough. We don't need highly efficient codec anymore.
  • The real news would be if the mp4 is a more 'hackable' (because more open) mode than avchd.
    We'll see.
  • @alcomposer

Problem with HDMI is that hacking it is extra risky.

@stonebat

Someone needs to tell them that support of >4Gb files must be implemented.
    This means working exFAT.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions