Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • Hi Ralph, thanks for getting back to me. Can you provide a link with instructions for me to download it and place on my GH2. Many thanks Ross

• @Ralph_B

Thank you again for this manageable hack! I took it during a camping trip with my friends. This is my first ever hacked GH2 video, mixed with some iPhone 5 and GoPro Hero 1 shots:

• @Rosco

Sanity works for both PAL and NTSC. There is no separate version for PAL. If your camera is set to PAL, Sanity will work fine. Just choose your shooting mode as you would normally do. There is nothing special to do.

• Hi Ralph,

Can you show me the up to date sanity hack for my GH2 for PAL. Also do you have a list of the options once hacked ie which selection gives me:

1. 25p
    2. 50i etc etc

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Rosco

• I don't recommend changing the bitrate because the bitrate I arrived at is the result of intense stability testing. One of the things that makes Sanity work so well is the enormous size of it's I frames. That size isn't going to change going from 38M to 42M, so it's doubtful you'd see any difference in picture quality.

My advice is leave it alone, and don't get caught up playing the numbers game. Just enjoy the picture and the fact that it's so good for such a modest bitrate.

• I just hacked my GH2 for the very first time using Sanity 5.1 on a Sandisk Extreme UHS-1 45MB/s 16GB and 32GB. It works flawlessly. I still have to play with it to unleash it's full potential.

Question: The bitrate by default for 24H is at 38(?)mbits, but the suggested is 42mbits; should I modify the hack to that mbit to really benefit from the hack or will the default bitrate be fine? Right now, I can already tell the default Sanity 5.1 quality has improved from the stock firmware.

Thank you again, @Ralph_B!

• The quality is really in the GH2. All Sanity is doing is preserving that quality as it passes through the compression engine.

• Thanks for the dream quality of Sanity 5.1.

• I filmed a wedding this past weekend with Sanity 5.1 in 24H onto a Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro. I got hours and hours of footage. I'll post some clips once I get something edited.

Thanks for the great setting.

• @chuyenpham

You've got a good eye. Thanks for posting.

• Hi I made a clip using the sanity 5.1 hack. I wanted to make a slow motion movie so it is shot in 720/60 fps. Check it out! and THX Ralph_B!

• Sakura of the last day bloom in Yokohama

hack Sanity5.1 set change 66M auto iris SS 50 smooth -2 +1 +1 -2 Lens 14-140 All handy shooting

i love its Sanity THX you Ralph_B ^^)

• thanks @Ralph_B

new video

• @treibholtz

I just watched your Rosidonia Oceanica. What a great documentary! Super good job! Everybody should see this.

• GH2 + Sanity 5.1 / fsh 50i / 13-31 mbps / nostalgic mode. no color correction. Edit in Premiere h264 25p 12mbps

• GH2 (most shot) & GF3 (motorizer slider and mini mode behind the sea), all camera with Sanity 5 and my personal vision of Pasadina Pulse. Audio Rode wmp on Juicedlink cx231 on zoom h1.

• Try Sanity 5.1 or Sanity X. They're both better than Sanity 4, anyway. I've never had an issue like this with either of them.

• Its an error type message. No the card is not full. This is a common issue with alot of people. They use the workaround of filming a short clip before shutting cam down then when the power back up they can resume filming on same card. Im surprised you havent heard of this. Superb patch but i need to fix this issue. I tested it on, 4 different type cards all 35mg or better speed and it happens

• @howardst

You say you can no longer film on the card - what does that mean? Do you get a message of some sort? Are you sure the card isn't simply filled?

• Hi ralph. I love your sanity 4 hack. I can see clearly the improvement of my videos. I just got burned with it though. I didnt know that when spanning and it does span on my 30 cards that if you shut the camera off you can no longer film on that card. As anyone who uses a gh2 knows battery life is not good lol. Is there any other workaround for this other than having to film a smaller file before shutting off camera?

• @Ralph_B Ahh, my bad. I thought original Sanity would span on the old 30M cards.

It's funny cause I actually have an 80M card but I was running it in my other camera. Doh! I'll use that one from now on.

• there is no stable hbr30 patch with panny lens yet

• @dbp

You must remember, 24L in Sanity X is actually the 24H setting from Sanity 5.1. And 24H in Sanity 5.1 will not span on a class 10 card. If you want spanning in Sanity X (both 24H and 24L), you must use a faster card. Users have reported successful spanning with Sandisk 95M, 80M and 45M cards.

• I had Sanity X stop recordering on me last week. I was filming a doc interview at ISO 800 with the Panny 20mm lens. I had it on 24L so I figured it would span on my Sandisk extreme 30mbps card but alas, it did not.

• @mjonas67

Try Sanity 5.1. It's way better and more stable than Sanity 3, which is ancient. A lot of work and testing has gone into Sanity over the years. Do try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.