Personal View site logo
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • I wish if it is possible through firmware to fix the horizontal banding at high iso so I can shoot night scenes properly. For me the GH2 has become a 800iso camera which is a hair under what what I want - at least 1600iso, please~
  • @Vitaliy-Kiselev I did ask the question becose of your early post stating
    "According to recent interview it is possible that GH2 users also will see 25p."
    Depending how you read between the lines in the answer, it is more a yes than a now, but he "don't beleive 25p update will be available with the next firmware" that is 1.1
  • Do not kid yourself, most rumors is just to increase the popularity of the page. Maybe 5% is true.
  • "keep our fingers crossed and one day...maybe"
    thats a typical line for us brits which usually translates as
    "no chance"
    or
    "when gh3 comes...buy more of these shiny X lenses and gh3 will have 25p"

goodbye panasonic!
  • >I was all excited when I heard that 25P will be included.

Guys who answer this questions do not know anything but the text of press release.
  • @ Tomaso
    Thanks! What the hell Panasonic?
    I was all excited when I heard that 25P will be included.
  • I posted a question to the QA at http://ifa.panasonic.eu/en

My question was: ”I understand that a new firmware release for GH2 will be released supporting the features in the X-lenses. Will 25p also be supported?”

The new firmware was kind of confirmed. As I understand it that firmware will probably not include 25p, but they left an opening for support in a firmware later on.

You can se the answer her: http://ifa.panasonic.eu/en?questionid=q_1315231134248
  • Got my GF3 and wow does it shoot 1080p and even the still shots rocks! All it needs is vitaly's hack and this little baby is ready to rock and roll!
  • >Too late...

I merged all this, but for the last time. Next i'll just delate such chat with yourself.
  • focus peaking!
    With sugar on top and all that other good shit! LOL

@Vitaliy_Kiselev> "How about put this 7 things into 1 post using Edit option? :-)"

LOL! that made my day!

• Too late...
  • @stonebat

How about put this 7 things into 1 post using Edit option? :-)
  • Auto WB works great many times. I wanna see the exact settings on display and have an option to save it as a custom preset WB.

In Creative Movie mode, pressing a scroll button should switch among Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO settings.

AF-S should always disable continuous-AF. AF-C should always able continuous-AF. Freaking no brainer.

Instead of keeping the history of latest setting changes, just give us an option to save each menu setting as favorite... Maybe up to 12 settings will do it.

In Creative Movie mode, disable the shutter button for recording and stopping. Use only the record button to start and stop. Enable the shutter button for only Auto focusing regardless of half-press or full-press before or during the shooting.

Peaking...
  • I wish Panasonic implements...

MF + face detection + magnification

Set it at MF & face detection mode. Do some ballpark focusing on face. Press the scroll button. GH2 detects a face and magnifies the face. Preferably around eye area. Nail the MF.

This will be a kickass feature.

• Solution people: Maybe Panny could issue the Firmware update as a paid update shipping in a small box. This way the can also include a small sticker that can be adhered to the body of the camera where the GH2 Logo is normally situated, thus technically updating the whole system to GH3 without lifting a finger??!! (of course all new factory models will come out with the updated firmware and GH3 sticker).

Welcome to the future of technology, who needs new hardware when you have new firmware??
  • I'm optimist that the GH2 can get some great new features. Sony did with their Nex cameras recently. Adding peaking and camera filters/effects. This is the second time they've done it actually, the first overhauled the UI.

Giving firmware upgrades like this creates loyal customers, it's good marketing. Plus it brings new customers over to your camp that would have otherwise gone to a competitors. It's not like the price of the GH2 has drop much since launch.

Please give us peaking and fully programmable colour and gamma curves for film profiles, more effects like Olympus and Sony now have would be good. That would make you far more competitive. at the moment you're falling behind

Don't worry Panasonic, as long as you release the GH3 with global shutter like you have been promising, that is reason enough for most to upgrade, the lack of jello for video and the ultra fast flash syncs for photos. And it's not going to conflict with the upcoming GF7, that is targeting GF1 owners anyway

• @CraftyClown

Panasonic has stated that the GH3 is not coming out anytime soon. Why would they make an entirely new model when they can just update firmware and sell the same camera for its original list price? I wonder if this update will stop the 3rd party batteries from working? Panasonic would love to stop that.
  • I guess there's no GH3 coming up this autumn, that is why Panasonic pushed by Sony's new product line bothers to do a firmware update to give its loyal users just something. Otherwise all new features would have gone to the replacement model, just as it happens usually: "want new features - buy new product". And since new features are being added to the old model there's nothing new on a horizon. At least in the nearby future.
  • Hi guys, I hate to sound like a wet blanket, but I don't imagine you will get many significant changes with this update, short of the necessary ones to enable the new lens functionality and perhaps a couple of changes that Panasonic may consider should have been originally included, such as 25p mode for European use.

This is just plain business sense on Panasonic's part. They will want decent reasons for new users to purchase the upcoming GH3 and not stick with the GH2. It's frustrating I know, but you can't fault them for this.

Don't let that stop people making suggestions for new features however, as I would imagine they are carefully monitoring peoples requests for the upcoming GH3.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

We should really try to establish a technical contact with Panasonic.
    Update us with your ideas
  • lumix fz150 60p 28mbps? _-----------lumix gh2 60i 17 mbps panasonic is horrible!!!!
  • This is good news. But still I look forward to next ptool. VK rules over Panasonic.
  • Hmmm... sounds elaborate.
  • I am planning to write design proposal.
    Something like "Expert Mode Design Guide" :-)
  • Panasonic team, please support 2.35:1 aspect ratio by taking advantage of the multi-aspect sensor. That could give 1.8x or lower crop factor.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions