Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • I would like to see some of your footage because I have never seen anything that look like what you said. From what we have seen the d5200 comes close or is on par with the gh2. No one I know would compare the nex7 to the gh2. The moire and aliasing of the Nex is also on another level than the gh2.

• @luantruong87 What do you mean by "you can do both at the same time but you can't get the same view in both two footages"?

• @danyyyel: I mean the contrast , when I set contrast on Nex-7 as -3 and on D5200 as the lowest contrast with Neutral profile, then recorded some footage , I saw D5200 had more contrast than Nex-7 , but this issue was solved when I use the flaat profile for D5200 . The alias on D5200 is more than Nex-7 maybe because of I recorded it as interlace. I didn't record something close enough to see how much detail the D5200 can deal compare to Nex-7. However, the HDMI output is much better. @K01: because when you record by using D5200 it'll be 16:9 in 4:3 screen live view and at that time you record using Ninja , it'll will be 4:3 (live view of D5200) in 16:9. Therefore , the size of what you want to record is reduced (16:9 in 4:3 and all of this in 16:9)

• Oh man I am impressed

first - simple 0.02 brightness boost in Vegas

second - I stuck the demo of Filmconvert after the brightness boost, film emulation plugin, and cranked film exposure to 1.0

holy crap!

Was thinking about getting either an NEX5n or GH2, to compliment my RX100, but now I'm not so sure....

Nikon 5200 brightness boost.jpg
    960 x 540 - 118K
    Nikon 5200 Brightness + filmconvert exposure boost.jpg
    960 x 540 - 220K
  • @CoolColJ I was impressed too after I shot these low light videos. I knew my old D5100 did a good job in dynamic range but this camera is a big improvement. By just adding some brightness and tweaking the gamma I was able to pull lots of details and lots of color information out of the darkness.

• @craftwerk

Can you switch between Pal and NTSC video modes in camera?

Also does scaling up the 720p at 50/60fps work as well as it does on the GH2 as far as sharpness and detail goes? Ahh if it has 1080p at 50/60fps it would be perfect :)

What lens did you use for these videos?

Also are the kit lenses any good for general pupose video in regards to the stablization? I don't know much about the Nikon side of things...

• Minor tweak of the bird sample video, and then ran through filmconvert demo - adding lovely film look and grain. Then conformed to 24p. It just flat out looks great out of the gate!

• @CoolColJ Both PAL and NTSC modes are selectable on Nikon cameras. I wouldn't put much hope in the 50/60i modes on the D5200 since they are interlaced.

Most of Nikon's optically stabilized zooms have relatively slow, non-fixed apertures, which in my view, makes them undesirable for video. However, there are two exceptional stabilized zooms which I highly recommend:

• Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 - fastest stabilized fixed-aperture zoom available
    • Nikon 24-120mm f4.0 - broadest-range stabilized fixed-aperture zoom available
  • @CoolColJ Good thing to do testing with the samples I've uploaded to Vimeo (that's why the're there), but better to put some description (a reference, where they can find the original footage to compare with) when you upload it to Youtube.

BTW, the daylight video's are all shot with the 18-200mm Nikon lens. A good lens for photography but also a nice lens to shoot video with. (but not for professional use I gues)

• thanks guys

No worries, video is unlisted, so only people reading this thread will see it

• My footate from yesterday wedding, some cangle lights.

• Okay...So have my d5200 and is a Uk model. Movie mode is set to 25p..yet the hdmi outputs 60i or 29.97 fps...how is it possible to change the hdmi output to UK standard? Any ideas?

• It will be ntsc/pal settings for the hdmi output!

• The 5200 manual says HDMI and Live View HDMI displays connected via an HDMI cable can be used for live view and movie recording (099, 105). During movie recording and playback, HDMI output is adjusted according to the option selected for Movie settings > Frame size/frame rate in the shooting menu (0103). Note that some devices may not support the selected setting; in this case, select 1080i (interlaced) for HDMI > Output resolution. Movies may be output at a frame size smaller than that selected for Frame size/frame rate (0103).

• An example Im using a Ninja. Camera is set to pal. Doesnt matter if recording is set to 25p or 50i. All modes output NTSC equivalant signal to ninja. HDMI output can be set from either interlace or progressive in HDMI output options there is no ntsc pal setting for HDMI. All modes output NTSC signal irregardless switching the camera mode fro pal to ntsc and vice versa. The ninja picks up a signal for 29.97 or 60i only. Clean image but unfortunately not great for PAL users. Additionally If you hit record on the camera itself the ninja switches to 720p 60p

Seems to me there is no Pal output through HDMI. Even though ive a PAL model.

• @Mimirsan Congratulations! Have fun with your new toy!

• The D600 has the problem of only having 95% view on it's HDMI output. Has it been confirmed that the D5200 HDMI is fully 100% view with no Black bars all around the image output like the D600. ie the full 16:9 image is displayed.

• the picture control utility is impressive! see 7 secs in from video above. http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/picture_control_edition/picture_control_utility/

• @Aria The d5200 displays full 16.9

@Craftwerk Thanks the hdmi issue isnt the end of the world for me. Im now just wating on my 35mm f1.8 to turn up. :-)

• @Mimirsan That 35mm F1.8 is a great lens! I almost bought the Rokinon 35mm F1.4 but found the focusing motor in the Nikon at that moment the best choice.

• @luantruong87 "by using D5200 it'll be 16:9 in 4:3 screen live view and at that time you record using Ninja , it'll will be 4:3 (live view of D5200) in 16:9. Therefore , the size of what you want to record is reduced (16:9 in 4:3 and all of this in 16:9)" Sure? I mean... that wouldn't make sense since from a 1080p you would basically get something around 720p? What about what @rigs cited from the manual? that "During movie recording and playback, HDMI output is adjusted according to the option selected for Movie settings > Frame size/frame rate in the shooting menu (0103)." and the other things? Is it possible that you (@luantruonmg87) simply used the wrong settings (Note that some devices may not support the selected setting; in this case, select 1080i (interlaced) for HDMI > Output resolution.)? It's just confusing and the output not working wouldn't make sense. Also what @Aria said is contradicting what you said (HDMI is fully 100% view with no Black bars all around the image output). Or the Nija just isn't liking D5200 output - which maybe makes the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle a better option?

• @K01: you know that the screen of the D5200 is 4:3 ratio right??? Therefore, when you record movie , it's 16:9 so it'll be black bar on top and bottom of the screen and the ninja will record the whole screen. It'll be clean output when you monitor using live view (not during record movie, then you press info button some times to enter clean hdmi output)

• @K01 To clarify the ninja does record full screen after a couple of presses of the info/display button on the d5200. No black bars around the image. Clean and from looking at it uncompressed also. So no problem using the D5200 with the Ninja (except the odd ntsc only framerate quirk I cant seem to get around)

And the shuttle...I had one before the Ninja...the shuttle is not as good. ;-)