Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria

Thank you for your reply!

It seems like the workflow of the Canons is very similar to my current workflow with Allied Vision camera. But at least I can record proress with the Allied Vision camera but I don't feel like carry around a tablet computer with capture software, kinda goofy. If I'll buy the canon I need fast cards and a VAF for the shitty typical canon moire/aliasing nonsense. And the h.264 codec looks like 480p due to the line skipping..

Although the Canon 7D is future proof with the fast CF write speeds of 80mb/s and good buffer size . You know what should be very awesome, if the could make a firmware that could write uncompressed proress 444 instead of DNGs.

Hmm I'll stick with Lumix. The OMD's are also very tempting with the 5 axis stabilizer only the dreadful codec is a problem. Somebody needs to hack that one :)

• @joeyq, IMO the G6 is going to be easier to get a final product. The Magic Lantern files will be bigger and you'll need to figure out a workflow that works for you in order to work with the RAW files and get the best final image. There are pluses to the Canon/ML RAW platform if you're willing to deal with the negatives as well. I'd suggest making a list of your needs and then comparing the G6 workflow and requirements to the Canon/ML RAW workflow and requirements.

• I want to shoot a feature film with the Lumix G6 with good old angenieux retrofocus and Cooke lenses. I'm a Gh2 user and I really love the camera but sometimes I need more details in shadows and there's where my good old friend lacks. Currently I'm also using allied vision camera's with the Kodak CCD sensor but the workflow is kinda dreadful and frustrating.

Can somebody here confirm if the G6 has more dynamic range over the GH2 and/or maybe the GH3? How much stops does the G6 have? I used the focus peaking on a test G6 in the store but it seems very shitty.

Should I stick with Lumix cameras or go with Magic Lantern hacked Canons?

• @mjfan - yes I did and I knew that, as GH2 I had previously, behaved the same. It is far from being perfect, but it is better to have something - than nothing at all...

• did you see the last comment on the link that you provided? one guy said this "The TV picture is in black G6 soon as a video recording is started ... "

• It looks I was right about LifeView on G6 via AV-OUT. See this thread
    http://www.systemkamera-forum.de/micro-four-thirds-fourthirds-kamera-technik/47069-live-hdmi-aktivieren-bei-der-g5-g6.html I don't speak German, but google translate seems to confirm my guessing...

• It seems we may see a LifeView through AV-OUT socket (mini-usb port on G6) on external monitor or TV. It is not HDMI-OUT, but better than nothing... Most of the Gx Panasonic cameras (like GH2, G3, G5, GF2 and maybe G6) can output LifeView through AV-OUT. But to activate it, you need to press "Trash" button (in record mode, not playback) and hold it for about 5-6sec. It worked this way on my GH2 and GF2, but I could not test it on G6, as do not have proper AV cable (mini-usb to RCA in this case). However, when I plugged some other mini-usb cable into the AV-OUT socket and pressed "Trash/Fn3" button on G6 - after about 6 seconds the LCD screen blinked once, exactly like on GH2 and GF2. So I think G6 sends the LifeView video to AV-OUT port, the same way as GH2/GF2. Does anybody have an AV cable for G6 and would confirm that please? Any AV cable (mini-usb<->RCA) should work.

• DeadMeadow - in PAL land you can't really see it - until less than 29min:59sek left... What I do is turning mode dial to M (one click, clockwise), so it shows how many pictures I can record. Then a quick recalculation tells me how much space left for video...

• Hi,

Any of you guys know how to change the record display to show how much time is left on the card when in movie mode?

• We know the HDMI video out signal is blocked by factory in G6, but how about AV video out? Anybody has suitable AV cable (like Panasonic DMW-AVC1 or similar) and would try if there is LifeView fed through this AV cable? As far as I can remember it was working on GH2.

• Shot on my G6. Used the 14-42 kit lens purely for one of the only times I'd need a bit of auto focus and stabilisation. Was pretty dark in the hall, had ISO up to 1000. Footage took a good grade.

• The G6 is a pretty incredible cam, much less at this price. Every time I try something new with it, I realize how incredible the image really is.

This is my first try at filming serious skateboarding with it. This is about 1/2 the G6 and half a GoPro Hero3 Black with protune on. All in 1080-60p mp4 mode.

I think the new processing, usability, color and noise reduction in the G6 way more than makes up for the bitrate advantage of the GH2. Macro blocking and bit rate issues are relatively minor compared to the massive advantages the usability and greatly improved overall image quality the G6 now provides.

Cheers, Pete

• if you could wait two to three more months, eventually there would be a drop in prices but could you wait... :))

• @cjdincer Thank you, just asked! :) Honestly I expected a total agreement in favor of the GH2, due to the hack. Nicely surprised! :P

An extra question: with the upcoming release of the GH4, would you expect a decrease of the price on these cameras?

• just order one g6, already have three GH2, I think that this camera with some Vitaly magic it could be a GH4 killer

• vitally would definitely beat that price if he has one available, you can ask him. also NTSC models don't have the record limit. @fran sorry should have said dedicated mic input, my bad :)

• I totally agree with cjdincer. I would go for G6.

• Gosh Adam, where? Can you send me the link, please?

At a similar price, I found it only by the seller "Tredec", and honestly I don't know how affidable he is!

• GH2 has mic input on 2.5mm stereo jack.

Fran

• Got my G6+kit for 470€ on ebay. killer cam for this price!

• 530€ is too much including the 14-42 kit? Unfortunately this is the lowest price I found :(

Anyway thanks for the info! I thought that GH2 had sensible higher video quality, but in case of similar quality...

• I have both of them and I'd say go for G6. but 530E is too much for any of them. also if you only shoot 24p video strictly you might consider gh2 too, but no peaking, no time lapse, no mic input and no other bunch of new stuff comes with G6. again it is your call according to your needs.

• Hey guys, I have a question: at the same price (530€) would you buy a new G6 or used GH2?

• @thorgas Excellent test! Thanks :-)

• For anyone who is interested in what difference the G6's color profiles make, see my test with a color and grey chart here: http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-g6-color-profiles/