Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • I totally do agree. Very annoying when I must choose between photo or video EX. TELE when I am in video mode only. The more so photo EX. TELE is a simple crop that can be done in post, so no need to have it in GH2 menu at all. Vitaliy - any hope..?

• @evero +1 I used to have it on FN2, and just had double press to switch before recording. Very annoying!

• Feature request for GH2: Disable Photo choice in EX. TELE CONV. menu (combine like first firmware)

Background: The point of this request is to make swithing between normal en EX. TELE CONV. mode as fast as possible when filming.

The problem: I've assigned a FN button for quick access to EX. TELE CONV. menu, to quickly switch between normal and EX. TELE when filming. Since the 1.1 firmware, both video and photo choice is displayed. While I understand the idea of separating them, in real life this is REALLY slowing down operation when filming (and problem is also that the menu is not intiutive about if which of the Photo or video is higlighted, and will be affected before you try - and trying is not a good thing, that means loosing valuable seconds in productions).

So what I really hope for is the possibility for the old way of affecting both video and photo mode, in other words making swithing between normal en EX tele as FAST as possible. Or at least not displaying the photo choice some way or another (when I'm filming

Do you think this will be possible?

PS: To switch normal <-> EX. TELE even faster , could it be possible to do it from the same FN button only? E.G. press the same button two times (within 1 second) will make the switch. That would be awsome!!

Problem with the GH2 is small buttons, so minimizing need for going between FN button and "selection-buttons" would be great! Thanks again for (already) a great hack :)

• Ok sorry...

• @cemay all are great, it depends on your taste and the way you want to shoot :-)

• I'm really confused...So what is the best of best quality driftwood hack ever? Is it sedna aq1?

• @exilenorth, while it's possible that there are differences from camera to camera, it's much more likely that the trouble you've encountered is due to differences in what you're shooting and the camera settings you're using. A lot of the encoder settings floating around here are simply not stable under all shooting conditions.

• I have a question, could the different generations of the GH2 react differently to the newest of patches? Some seem to have minor problems, yet others do not. Quirk of mass production

• How lovely and incredible that a little camera box could, with human spirit and endeavour, make so much good shit, hats off!

• Vitaliy is man to get the job done. Hope he getting a pay rise lol

• @Hallvalla - i don't know, but I certanly think it would be possible, but someone like @Vitaliy_Kiselev need to inlude the possibility into a Tool like PTool so that we normal users could use it.

• sharpening doesn't happen in the lens - it's digital post-processing in the body.

• @Tomaso I've been wondering if Panny lenses can be hacked in general as well. Like turning off sharpening but keeping auto focus. @Vitaliy, possible to hack Panny lens?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Great news! Thanks a lot for your hard work.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Fantastic, thanks a lot

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "I hope to see PTool with GF3 support in March"

I understand you have been very busy! This is great news! Thank you! :)

• I hope to see PTool with GF3 support in March.
    After this nearest target will be full manual controls in GF2 and GF3.
    And we'll start collecting for GX1 and G3 bodies (I'll work on them in parallel) next week.
    I am also working on more complicated things, but it is too early to talk about it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do you think it would be possible to modify the firmware to make the x-lenses like Panasonic X 14-42mm get built in "Follow Focus".

Example: By first focus and then push a fn or AE/AF/Lock for 2 sec setting a focus point. Then taking the scene focusing on other subject. By pushing the Fn again moving back to the preset distance.

If not possible by PTool I guess Panasonic should consider the possibility to implement follow focus on the x-lenses and perhaps other lenses.

• :-)

2nd donation made.

Well done!

• Today a did get a writhing error every time i did a manual focus.
    Very strange, i never had this before, auto focus did not give a problem.
    i dont no why did is or was, it was with the "Quantum v9 as 720p50 and 1080i50 are primed".
    I did test it ad home before i went out for some shooting, no problems ad all.
    iso 800, 640 and 320, shutter between 100 and 1/800, f4 to f5.6... So, back to " AQUAMOTION ver1 Experimental patch all to detail", and that is the last one till ptool v1.1 is released. ;-)

• @gameb Close call! In fact most lakes are filled with "voda" -means water. na sdorowje!!!

• For me, a most useful feature would be some way of finding out, in camera, exactly which hack is installed. Aren't there any hard-coded strings that could be changed by the tool? Even an entry in the English menus could be modified, to let us know at a glance which hack is in place.

As promised, I will be donating as soon as I find a job again (currently unemployed.)